First time poster buying new bow Saturday need help please.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Do you prefer micro or m380 (only to people who have owned both)

Micro
38%
M380
63%

Total votes: 16

Pardovillehunter

First time poster buying new bow Saturday need help please.

Post by Pardovillehunter »

Hi there I've been reading a ton of awesome info off this forum last few weeks.  I'm dead set on picking up a new bow this Saturday but have some questions first. Been non stop reading and changing my mind.

I've been using an exo max I've had for 10 years now, now with a tru glo red dot and it's still an awesome and fast killing machine.

But after seeing the new technology in the micro n matrix think it's time for an upgrade. I'm pretty well 90 percent sure on the mico depending on some of your comments.

Is the micro capable of 50 yards and plus shots while in hunting situations or is it much more shorter range then the m380?

I've been torn on what scope to go with on the micro.  I like the idea of the illuminated scopes.  I've seen a lot of bashing of the tact zone on here but have the problems been fixed?  I saw it had good reviews on cabelas or bps.  Do the illuminated scopes like hawkes, or tact zone give you more shooting time in the last few mins or are the regular scopes just as good at last light like the nikon and the dead zone. 

Anyone that's owned both prefer the m380 over the micro?

Micro owners how should I get this bow set up right from the shop. Any accessories or changes to make right away?

Thinking micro with hawkes scope doubt the dealer carries it but where could I order it in Ontario?

I want to shoot lighted knocks of some sort, any bolt in particular work best with the micro? I love the 150 grain bolt cutters in my exo max are they a good choice for the micro as well?

Sorry so many questions but I been all jacked up excited to get this new bow. Think I read someone on here say it's like waiting for Christmas lol still not sure if shouldn't go with 380? But appreciate any help and can't wait to get it Saturday.
Squirrel

Re: First time poster buying new bow Saturday need help plea

Post by Squirrel »

I have shot both and recommend the 380 because it's a better all around bow with less limb problems and it hits harder. The 355 is also great if you want something that is a little easier to cock. Just make sure to keep up the brace height no matter which bow you get. On the micro, 335 fps for 270lb draw seems weak to me. I would rather have a 355/380 with a higher payload and less limb problems. Good Luck!
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
Pardovillehunter

Ya I was wondering that too. The 380 must shoot pretty flat too compared to the 335? That's a huge difference in speed and about same cocking effort by the sounds of it.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Pardovillehunter wrote:Hi there I've been reading a ton of awesome info off this forum last few weeks.  I'm dead set on picking up a new bow this Saturday but have some questions first. Been non stop reading and changing my mind.

I've been using an exo max I've had for 10 years now, now with a tru glo red dot and it's still an awesome and fast killing machine.

But after seeing the new technology in the micro n matrix think it's time for an upgrade. I'm pretty well 90 percent sure on the mico depending on some of your comments.

Is the micro capable of 50 yards and plus shots while in hunting situations or is it much more shorter range then the m380? 1.

I've been torn on what scope to go with on the micro.  I like the idea of the illuminated scopes.  I've seen a lot of bashing of the tact zone on here but have the problems been fixed?  I saw it had good reviews on cabelas or bps.  Do the illuminated scopes like hawkes, or tact zone give you more shooting time in the last few mins or are the regular scopes just as good at last light like the nikon and the dead zone.  2.

Anyone that's owned both prefer the m380 over the micro?

Micro owners how should I get this bow set up right from the shop. Any accessories or changes to make right away?3.

Thinking micro with hawkes scope doubt the dealer carries it but where could I order it in Ontario?

I want to shoot lighted knocks of some sort, any bolt in particular work best with the micro? I love the 150 grain bolt cutters in my exo max are they a good choice for the micro as well?4.

Sorry so many questions but I been all jacked up excited to get this new bow. Think I read someone on here say it's like waiting for Christmas lol still not sure if shouldn't go with 380? But appreciate any help and can't wait to get it Saturday.
1.I own both the Micro and the Matrix 380. I can honestly say that I like the Micro 335 over the M380 for its compact size, balance and it's power. With that said, if I knew I was going to shoot out past 50 yards consistently I think I would be going with the M380 for it's added punch and flatter trajectory. Heck, it is still considerably smaller than your Exomax...Funny, I have taken the reverse roll ...first the 380, than the 335 and I recently purchased an IBEX...now that bow is sweet and looks like it is going to be a lot of fun to shoot.

2....With regard to a scope, I really cannot comment past the fact that my experience with Excalibur "standard issue" scopes are they are truly the weak link in what otherwise is a great bow. The 380 came with a Tact-Zone illuminated scope...what is there not to love...it is compact, looks rugged and has illumination in two colors...however, it did not hold up and was ultimately upgraded to a non illuminated Leupold Crossbones. The Micro came with what I believe was a dead zone non illuminated...the name of the scope speaks for itself...The IBEX I just purchased came with a dead on arrival varizone...I have Leupold on all of my firearms and crossbows and have never, ever had an issue in the 22 year I have been hunting...as I said, they are not illuminated so you will have to come to a decision as to what you would like in an illuminated scope.

3....As for accessories, I would assume you already have a stringer to adjust your brace height. I can only tell you what I have on my bow: DrStirrup Kit which includes stirrup, bumpers, limb silencers and 4x4Kocker, Munch Quiver Mount, TriggerTech Trigger 2 stage, Tac-Pac Rail (for camera). I would also look into upgrading the Quills or the Diablos depending upon which bow you purchase. There are craftsmen on this forum such as Big John and Dan Xcalibur. Many people have used Jerry at South Shore Archery for their arrows and speak highly of him...I for one now make my own and love the results...I guess the final accessory would be a flemish string. Again you have craftsman the most noted being Boo...there are others also.

4. ..as far as lighted nocks go, the two main brands (of which I use both) are the Lumenoks and the Ignitors (Nu-Fletch)...I use both. They both have pros and cons in terms of their weight, ease of installation, turning off once ignited and cost...you really should look at the respective websites to learn more...Many people just use one of the two and love what they use. I have used both, do not sell them and I love both.

Lastly the bolt cutters are used by many with great results. They are 150 grain and might not fit into some people's arrow weight recipe..Picking a broadhead and opinions is as varied as the number of the BH's on the market.

I hope this helped somewhat and good luck with your purchasing decision...One last thing, I would not get rid of your Exomax...you might just long to shoot it again even after you purchase the new faster and newer technology Excalibur....

Anthony :)
Last edited by amythntr on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

duplicate post
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Pardovillehunter

Awesome responses! Thanks a ton, I'm thinking probably gonna go with the micro with one scope or another not sure yet which one but I'll look into that kit you recommended as well
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Pardovillehunter wrote:Awesome responses! Thanks a ton, I'm thinking probably gonna go with the micro with one scope or another not sure yet which one but I'll look into that kit you recommended as well

...the stirrup part for the micro is being redesigned and will not be available until next year...the bumpers, silencers and the 4x4Kocker all are available for the micro...

Anthony :)

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

I had a Micro and it was no slouch, but I just preferred the feel of the Matrix 380 better. I have reduced my xbows down to two, the best two I believe in the Matrix series, the Matrix 355 and the Matrix 380 Blackout. However, I have heard very good things about the Matrix 330, but can not comment on how they perform but, maybe soon. :)

And though some will disagree with me, I like the Tact-Zone scopes. :)

JMHO
Vic Mc

BTW, welcome to the community. :)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't lynch me as i don't have alot of 380 exp. but i have lots of shootin time wid the 405/355/335 Micro's. remember the Micro is a E'cet vs yer Max in the fps speed. Will the Micro reach 50 yds ? Yes! Its not the best choice fer those ranges. Micro will get 25 fps less than the 380. I love me Captain Morgan but i am not goin to tell you it will keep up wid the big Dogs. Its a very nice compact recurve fer ground blinds n tree stands. Scopes i have a Illmination on my Hawke n it sure does define those xhairs at 20 n 30 yds in very early mornin changin light :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

If you can handle both bows you will see what bow will fit you best. For me with my smaller frame the Micro all the way for me. I generally only shoot deer inside of 30 yards and the Micro will handle that range with ease. I went ahead and changed to a single cross hair scope as well because 99% of my shots are around 20 yards or less..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

380's came 1st then Micros whats next? I shoot the 380 and love it! :D Excals are the best that money can buy! Shoot the models you mentioned and make the best choice for U! Every setup is a little different learn as you go what works best. The forum is the best help you will find Start to Finish!!!! Enjoy!
deertrx
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
Boo

Post by Boo »

I clicked on the 380 because you can put a swept back riser to give you basically 2 bows with power and cocking effort on both ends of the spectrum.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Eck

Post by Eck »

I don't have a 380; I was in a similar positon as you some months ago, having had my E-Mag for 10 years, and in hearing all of the praise for the Micros, in a moment of weakness I bought one.

Performance wise, my two bows are equal (and I knew that when I bought it). The E-Mag is ExoMax's older brother, rated at . . . 335 fps with a 350 gr. arrow; same as the Micro. From a form-factor perspective, the Micro is very handy, and in some of the areas I hunt, MUCH more portable than the full size E-Mag.

Is my E-Mag for sale? No. For awhile I thought I might have to have a 380, but after much thinking, I came to the same realization as a couple of other forum members - how much farther through a deer do I need to shoot?? The difference between your ExoMax and the 380 is roughly 30 fps with the same arrow, and a narrower "waistline" with the new girl. A little flatter shooting, but for me, it wasn't enought to switch, given I have the Micro for really dense brush.

Just my .02 worth. I'm not saying don't buy a new bow; but if you really want portability, the Micro is the way to go. If you hunt in a area that provides/requires longer shots (where I am, 35 yards is a long shot) then it's probably not as dense, and the portability isn't as much of an issue. FWIW -
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Pardovillehunter

Thanks again guys. I like the idea of a single crosshair scope too once I put the single red dot on my exo max I started making way better shots on game. I can shoot with both eyes open and watch the bolt fly. Only problem with it is doesn't let any light in at dark and can be too dark to shoot before legal time.

Single cross hair on a 380 would shoot almost like a rifle I'd have to think can't be much drop at 50 yards? 10in or so drop? Think still leaning towards micro maybe with the tact zone scope just because I know the dealer wI'll have them.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Keep your Exo for this season and wait for Excalibur's new release during the winter ATA show :mrgreen:
My two cents
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family