Grim Reaper or Muzzy Trocar X-Bow Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SummitSitter

Grim Reaper or Muzzy Trocar X-Bow Broadheads

Post by SummitSitter »

Anyone using the crossbow broadheads made by Grim Reaper? I see that they come in either with either a Razortip or Razorcut head. I'm thinking about switching over from fixed blade to mechanical. Also, wanted to see if anyone is also using Muzzy Trocar CB broadheads...
Last edited by SummitSitter on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
StormDragon

Re: Grim Realer X-Bow Broadheads

Post by StormDragon »

SummitSitter wrote:Anyone using the crossbow broads made by Grim Reaper? I see that they come in either with either a Razortip or Razorcut head. I'm thinking about switching over from fixed blade to mechanical...
I use the 100Gr Grim Reaper X-Bow Razortips in my Micro. I also put a 1/4" dental band on them just for a little "backup" due to the Micros initial release force.

I havent taken a deer yet with them with the Micro but i have taken a few deer with another crossbow I had and they do some damage. Nice entrance and exit holes!
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I have used the GR 100 gr. and 125gr. extensively up until last season. The reason well ,,,the last 2 deer I did not get a pass thru. both quartering away. They didn't go far under 100yds. My local little archery shop talked me into trying RamCat and I think they are the best of both worlds The last three deer have gone down like I hit them with a Battle axe. The blades articulate back and forth as they are scalpel sharp on both sides. The down side is they are hard to get into the quiver. my son still uses the Reapers on his Vbow and loves them, but he hasn't had a shot where he got 8" of penetration and 20" of arrow hanging out as his buck runs off. I would certainly use Reapers over anything called rage.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

The only deer that I shot with a Rage broadhead was with the bow. It was a 15 yard shot and the arrow did not pass through. The deer only ran about 50 yards and the arrow fell out while he was running. There was a good blood trail but I didn't like the fact that I didn't get a complete pass through at that distance and be shot was behind the shoulder. That's while I'm partially on the fence about trying another mechanical BH. I do like the fact that they generally fly closer to your field points verses fixed broadheads, but if you sight in with fixed BH's, you shouldn't have a problem...
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I hear ya!! scared the crap out of me the first time I shot a deer with MBH when the buck ran down the mountain with the arrow waving back at me. I had shot Thunderheads for 20yrs and always blew thru them. I should have added that out to 40yds the RamCat flies like FP I don't notice any difference in POI.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

SummitSitter wrote:The only deer that I shot with a Rage broadhead was with the bow. It was a 15 yard shot and the arrow did not pass through. The deer only ran about 50 yards and the arrow fell out while he was running. There was a good blood trail but I didn't like the fact that I didn't get a complete pass through at that distance and be shot was behind the shoulder. That's while I'm partially on the fence about trying another mechanical BH. I do like the fact that they generally fly closer to your field points verses fixed broadheads, but if you sight in with fixed BH's, you shouldn't have a problem...
Which is why I won't shoot mechs anymore. Had the same issue with a crossbow and a Rage.

X2 on Ramcats. Trying them this year and they do fly like my field points. But I never put too much stock in that. As you say - sight in your BHs and good to go. A BH has a lot more "stuff" hanging out there so it stands to reason to me that there might be a bit more drag so they might hit a tad lower than a FP. Some do, some don't. If I shoot one at 40 yds and it is 1" lower, I make a click or two on the scope, dbl check for perfect zero, and go hunting. BUT if they are off left to right, then they are plane-ing and that is a different issue.

Other good flying fixed I have found are Slick Tricks, Magnus Stingers, and Montecs.

Others have found the Magnus Black Hornet to fly great too.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Horizontal Hunter

Re: Grim Reaper X-Bow Broadheads

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have never shot the Grim Reapers. My go to Broadhead is the NAP Spitfire. They make a big hole going in and coming out.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
SummitSitter

Re: Grim Reaper X-Bow Broadheads

Post by SummitSitter »

I recently purchased some Muzzy Trocar 125 GR crossbow BH's that going to test out over the weekend. I'm going to install a set of Air Brakes and a new string that I had "nchunterkw" make up for me. After I get everything installed I'm going to sight in with field points and then see how the fixed blade Trocars shoot. Hope there is only a slight elevation adjustment that I will have to make when I switch over to BH's and not a left or right drift...
mchurch

Re: Grim Reaper or Muzzy Trocar X-Bow Broadheads

Post by mchurch »

A few months back grim reaper tweaked their crossbow heads to accomdate high poundage bows. I know in the past it always seemed like one blade would be partially or fully open on impact. I have ordered some and will shoot them from my matrix 380 and let you know.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

mchurch wrote:A few months back grim reaper tweaked their crossbow heads to accomdate high poundage bows. I know in the past it always seemed like one blade would be partially or fully open on impact. I have ordered some and will shoot them from my matrix 380 and let you know.
That would be great...thanks.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Brother in law used the grim reaper on a small 6pt this year and did not get a passthru. Not that big a deal although I would expect it to blast thru at 15yds. The big worry was the blades breaking off. He is now finally going fixed and trying the muzzy trocar and slick tricks.

I do not understand the facination with mechanicals. Buts that's me.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have been using 125 gr crosskill which the trocar replaced . I picked up 125 gr trocar I have no complaints with the crosskill will test the trocar .
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Muzzy trocar and mx3 are the only heads I use. They have never failed to deliver for me.There are several quality fixed blade heads out there. Find one that performs for you and stick with it.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I got a pack of Grim's Crossbow from a great friend here, and after assembling them, and watching their videos, they seem pretty good. I like the spring loaded action to keep the heads closed, and have been itching to pull the trigger on a deer, pun intended! I will post results, pics. etc. soon hopefully! I also plan to take a deer with the Spitfire Heads this fall. I like to try new stuff, but always drift back to fixed heads, so I have my Thunder Heads, and Muzzy's sighted in too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!