Prejudices Against Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Prejudices Against Crossbows

Post by amythntr »

....ask those people what they plan on doing into their 50's....when their shoulders start to deteriorate and they're no longer able to play Robin Hood with their compounds!....

....One would think that "sportsmen" would embrace the crossbow since we live in an ever decreasing pool of adults and children who show an interest in getting outdoors and hunt....I go out of my way to tutor young people because they and only they are the future...you would think they would have the "we" mentality when they speak of hunting...instead they have the "me" mentality....sad!

....shake off the dust and move on...sooner or later they will see the light, if for no other reason than their body dictates it!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I've never had so much fun being called a cheater....with no remorse! :D :D :D
Haters are gonna hate...(I believe they are envious!) :mrgreen:
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

paulaboutform wrote:BTW....I've been to ranches in Texas that are as you are imagining a canned hunt to be and my group had no interest in being there and we left. I've also hunted ranches in Texas that you could get lost on the thousands of acres, as a matter of fact one of our guys got turned around and was lost for several hours. My point is, don't be closed off with preconceived ideas. Like the ranch hunts, crossbow prejudices are just that. Jmo.

Paul
Sorry, but I have no preconceived ideas about high fence ranches. I understand the concept completely. If a physical "barrier" prevents your neighbors from being able to hunt the same animal you are trying to hunt, it's not free range (no matter how much land is inside the "barrier").
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you hunted with an atlatl someone would say it's too easy. I don't worry about them, I just enjoy being able to hunt!
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I am aware of the crossbow prejudice and have had comments made to me a couple times, "not really an archery hunter" and "not really bow hunting". It bothers me a bit but not enough for me to worry or fret about. Fact is I also really enjoy shooting a compound bow and actually started with one. I switched back and forth between them for hunting until my vision got too bad to shoot a compound reliably. My daughters like shooting a recurve and I'm looking into picking a couple up for them and I to have some fun with.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I march to my own tune and could not care one bit if someone does not like my crossbows...

It's funny, because even my local Pro Shop does not really like them, but they sure do sell.. They even have a whole department dedicated to crossbow everything. They carry all the big brands, dedicated scopes, arrows/bolts, broadheads, etc.. However, when I said I wanted to get into the crossbow two years ago, the first question I was asked in the shop was " are you hurt?".. I said no, I think they are cool..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

retrieverman wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:BTW....I've been to ranches in Texas that are as you are imagining a canned hunt to be and my group had no interest in being there and we left. I've also hunted ranches in Texas that you could get lost on the thousands of acres, as a matter of fact one of our guys got turned around and was lost for several hours. My point is, don't be closed off with preconceived ideas. Like the ranch hunts, crossbow prejudices are just that. Jmo.

Paul
Sorry, but I have no preconceived ideas about high fence ranches. I understand the concept completely. If a physical "barrier" prevents your neighbors from being able to hunt the same animal you are trying to hunt, it's not free range (no matter how much land is inside the "barrier").
You're entitled to that of course. I've hunted small, 5 acre private tracks of property that were much easier than the 5000 acres on a ranch high fenced. I've also hunted 5000 acres of private property, fenced but animals were free, on the Peace River. No one else had access to this intentionally. I'm just saying it depends where you go. BTW, that high fenced 5000 acres took me three trips and almost two weeks of hunting to score. Each to their own, I wish I had the time and throw away money to do it again. :wink:
edit to add: I had to re read this. Not claiming it's free range but can be completely an actual hunt. Not walking into a pen to shoot.
***apologies to the OP, not trying to hijack.

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Yes, there is some bias - more prevalent in some places than others.

Here in Ontario Crossbow hunting is open to all and crossbows are included in all archery seasons - I think that has led to greater acceptance in the general bowhunting population.

But you still have compound hunters that think a crossbow gives you an advantage - that is until most of them shoot one and find out, that while they may be easier to get "sufficient at" quicker, they certainly don't give you any great advantage in terms of range, knock down power etc etc.

And in fact, they can be more cumbersome to shoot in dense surroundings because you have to worry about "lateral lines". With a vertical bow if you can stand unobstructed, you can shoot unobstructed (mostly).

And I stopped worrying about what guys that shoot carbon fiber limbed, multi-cam, fiber optic/peep sighted, shoot through rest, 80% let-off rigs think anyhow.

If they have a problem with my crossbow maybe we should all go back to instinctively shot recurves and longbows. I still have my recurve but holding back that 51 pounds, without any let-off, is getting tougher.

After all, if you had to use "primitive bows", most of those compound shooters wouldn't be in the woods either because without their peeps/pins they couldn't hit the side of a barn from 25 yards away.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Gotta admit I'm on the fence a bit.

It took me alot of time and hard work to get proficient at shooting and working on my V bows. Emphasis on the work. The insane amount of constant fooling around with the new fast bows to keep them timed and shooting fixed heads accurately finally go the best of me. I cracked one day and went out and got a Micro.

I took pride in the hardwork and certainly earned every last hair of every deer I killed with a V bow.

My new crossbow is extremely easy to shoot, especially in the sub 20 yard range which is my archery sweet spot. I've killed 2 deer so far this year with extremely well placed shots, both at 20 yards or less. It was almost too easy making the shot, but still extremely exciting.

I kinda miss using the V bow, but will not likely go back to it.

I may buckle down and try to master my old bear recurve though. Recurves are simple, which is why I bought a recurve crossbow...

So yeah, I've run into some anti-crossbow sentiment, but I certainly can understand where it comes from. Its made archery hunters out of people who previously had no business in the woods with a bow. Its taken alot of the solitude out of bow seasons.

The best way I can describe it is that crossbow hunting isn't necessarily much easier, its just different.

Regards,

Brian
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Scalemaster

Post by Scalemaster »

Ok 1st... Haters gonna hate no matter what!! 2nd I don't like those vertical bows it's too easy for me the 10 yrs. of competitive shooting and all the deer that I've taken with my bow I'm just mad that I don't get my own tv series and new chevy truck every yr. the clowns they give this to .....its just a mystery where they are looking for talent in the archery industry these days lol.
2015 micro 335
Custom 16" zombie Slayers
Spitfires & torrid SS
Ignitor nocks
Nchunterkw custom strings
JB'STAXIDERMY

Post by JB'STAXIDERMY »

Well i shoot 3d archery on a national level and here in the U.S. they have crossbow classes in the ASA and the IBO. I'm a taxidermist by trade and i choose to use a crossbow to hunt with for 2 reasons one i dont have the time to practice like i want with my bow because during hunting season i am covered up with people bringing in mounts and 2 a crossbow is a good way for me to introduce my children to hunting and they have a very effective and ethical way to harvest deer. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to me as long as you are able to get out and do the things you love i dont care if u shoot it with a sling shot no matter what it is people are going to bash crossbows that are die hard archers to each there own but ill keep shooting archery tournaments with my bow and hunting deer with my crossbow till im unable to do soo.
Equinox
Hawke xb30 pro
Boo Trigger job
Firebolts
Slick Tricks
Vixenmaster string
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Give it time...Here in Ohio crossbows have been around since the beginning of time and I can honestly say that with a 50/50 break of compound vs crossbow users, very few compound guys thumb their noses at the crossbow guys publicly:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
maple

Post by maple »

In Ontario where I live, everybody WANTS a crossbow. Who wants to hunt with a temperamental compound bow that's not user friendly? Not me.

Don't think I've seen anyone hunting with a vert bow of any sort. Ever. And I've been in the country a lot.

Actually, if anything, there seems to be a prejudice against compound vert bows.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

As long your hunting legal , Go for it !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I think a lot of it comes from ignorance .
I have heard them called string guns . There is their ignorance showing right there . The crossbow came long before the gun . The gun came about by putting a stick cannon on a crossbow stock .
A lot of compound shooters don`t realize they are shooting the most modern weapon . There was a time when they were frowned upon by the longbow crowd .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus