Prejudices Against Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Prejudices Against Crossbows

Post by retrieverman »

I posted the story about my buck on another board and got a reply saying that crossbows are frowned upon by the members there, and I was more than a little surprised. Many/most of the hunting reports on that board are of deer taken inside high fences that probably cost several thousand dollars, and that appears to be perfectly acceptable (granted most are killed with compound bows).
Personally, I don't call that "hunting" or agree with the practice (no matter what weapon is used), but I also don't judge what someone else does with their time or money.

Has anyone else experienced any such prejudices against hunting with a crossbow?
Coon Gravy

Re: Prejudices Against Crossbows

Post by Coon Gravy »

you can't eat antlers... and I would imagine that Chevrolet takes more "wild" game each year than any hunting implement so who cares how you get to the end game. If you let other idiots ruin your day, they win. My 2 cents.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Yes I have,,,,,, So I asked them what they was gonna do when they got old and could not draw their compounds anymore, he replied he would give it up::: SO I told him, well you can go sit in your rocking chair, while I will still be out there hunting, and enjoying the sport that I have been doing since 1960!!!!!! :D I am now 73 years old and still love to hunt. :shock: Dave :!:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Coon Gravy wrote:you can't eat antlers... and I would imagine that Chevrolet takes more "wild" game each year than any hunting implement so who cares how you get to the end game. If you let other idiots ruin your day, they win. My 2 cents.
x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 :lol: :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

In a word, yes. It amazes me how so many archers are anti crossbow. In some cases it's just a difference in opinion and in some cases it's just ignorance. Crossbows are not allowed in provincial or nationally sanctioned 3D shoots. Some provinces allow them for archery season, some under a disability program only and some provinces disallow them altogether. When I shot strictly compounds I was never anti crossbow, I was simply indifferent to them. BTW....I've been to ranches in Texas that are as you are imagining a canned hunt to be and my group had no interest in being there and we left. I've also hunted ranches in Texas that you could get lost on the thousands of acres, as a matter of fact one of our guys got turned around and was lost for several hours. My point is, don't be closed off with preconceived ideas. Like the ranch hunts, crossbow prejudices are just that. Jmo.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

When compounds first became popular, the recurve and long-bow crowd had similar prejudices against them.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

CalhounWV wrote:When compounds first became popular, the recurve and long-bow crowd had similar prejudices against them.
Good point, and still true today.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Eck

Post by Eck »

I've had some vertical archers allude to the fact that shooting a crossbow allows you to shoot more accurately with much less training and practice than a vertical bow. In other words, "you crossbow guys don't pay your dues". That also makes us competition afield.

I think at clubs, and other shooting events there is also an issue of necessary upgrades for targets and backstops since our crossbow bolts sail through "normal" targets. I'd love to shoot 3D with mine, but there's nothing in my area that is crossbow friendly.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

ECK,
I don't disagreed with some of that push back , We have a guy in our camp that couldn't kill a deer with his vbow if we tied the critter to the front porch, he was always missing or wounding them, now he brags about the bucks he kills and the fact that its like his rifle he just takes a couple shots each year to make sure it still sighted in out to 60yds and he is good to go.. Me, I 'm glad he is not wounding as many. I still hunt with both and enjoy them but I know there is coming a day when I wont be able to shoot my vbow well enough to still be an ethical bow hunter. I don't argue the shooting skill is much tougher with the vbow and the best example of that would be drawing back the bow at a tuff angle 20' up the tree while not being seen when the xbow handles much more like a rifle. Personally, I like it all including my flintlock.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

As a resident of the only state in the union that allows zero crossbow hunting, I can share what little I know about the situation here in Oregon. There have been a few attempts to include the crossbow as a legal weapon for disabled hunters but even those have been beaten back by the apparently very influential Oregon Bow Hunters Association. From what I've been able to gather, they offer the tired and well worn arguments of crossbows being too capable, too advantageous, limited game resources, etc, etc. The fact that all citizens of any state should have a right to hunt with their weapon of choice (within reason) seems to elude them. By within reason, I mean no more capable than any other weapon currently permitted. The capability range of a crossbow falls between a conventional compound bow and a muzzle loader, both of which are permitted. The so called unfair advantages of crossbows can be mitigated by short seasons, specific restrictions on sex, antler size, etc. The archery season here in Oregon lasts for about 30 days and at one time was either sex for both deer and elk. There are now area dependent restrictions on those allowances but bow hunters still have quite the advantage over rifle and muzzle loader hunters. It would seem only fair to allow crossbow hunters a small slice of the pie.
Matrix 380 Blackout
HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, Air Brakes, DR Kit, TriggerTech SS
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
SEW

Post by SEW »

I started bow hunting at age 10 with a self bow and continued to shoot stick bows for a long time, deep into compound bow times. I hated the elitist mentality of my fellow stick bowyers. My disgust with them caused me to go to compounds in early 80s ; yet, I continued to also use my , now, recurve. Due to a military aircraft accident causing damage to my shoulder, I used a crossbow occasionally, as early as 1983. When I was looked down upon due to this occasional usage of the crossbow, I did the same as before due to my disgust with this same type of elitism. I just went to crossbow usage, mainly to thumb my nose at them. However, I missed my recurve vbow so much, I hunted with it, Still do.
Now, what should we do? Develope a " to heck with them" attitude. Just don't care what arrogant, stupid people say or do. Ignore them. Rise above them. Don't let them be ANY factor in your life. Shake the dust off your feet and walk away.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I got into traditional archery after last years bow season was over. I shot and hunted with a compound back in my 20's and wanted to get back into a vertical bow but without all of the additional equipment required. And on some of the trad forums you would probably be kicked off for just saying the word crossbow let along admit to using them. Utter snobbery, and it hurts the sport overall in my opinion. I don't belong on those forums and the one I do belong to has some tolerance (TradTalk). I've never received a negative comment there anyway.

It seems to be a not so new pervasive attitude that if "I" don't like something "You" shouldn't be allowed to do it/have it/etc. Whatever happened to I don't like this program...turn the channel. Ah, those were the days!
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

papabear1 wrote:Yes I have,,,,,, So I asked them what they was gonna do when they got old and could not draw their compounds anymore, he replied he would give it up::: SO I told him, well you can go sit in your rocking chair, while I will still be out there hunting, and enjoying the sport that I have been doing since 1960!!!!!! :D I am now 73 years old and still love to hunt. :shock: Dave :!:
Great reply to the crossbow trashers.
Love it!!! :D :D :D
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yea and the compound guys got 80percent let off a rangefinder an ozonics heated body suite lazer rangefinder a space age sight and dont forget the release that is a" trigger " . Hes such a man. I love my longbow i enjoy it a lot but my excalibur is also cool ........why cant we be friends ....why can we be friends. Lol. Anyway what concerns us here is that you were on another forum now thats shunned upon here . We are the best forum now thats cheating. Lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its an indication of the type of person they are, and there are a lot of them out there. Usually they are narrow minded about other things as well as crossbows and I do try to limit myself from these types.

85% of archery is getting the deer within 20 yards. without being detected. The other 15% is what tool flings the arrow to the deer.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-