380 vs 405 final answer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

No One

Re: 380 vs 405 final answer

Post by No One »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Keep in mind your going to age but the draw weight of the 405 will always require a young strong guy :roll: :lol:
Gene

I went with the 405 because I didnt see me buying any more crossbow or other and still dont see a need for it. If I do it wont be for me but rather my daughter (she wants to go bad).

If go with the 405 I highly recommend the C2 crank(tammer). It take the beast and makes it a kitten. It gives you the ability to cock it sitting down and I also use it for changing the string or uncocking it. :D
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I hunted last year with the 380 and had no problems killing deer.
I traded around and got a 405 love this bow. I got a C2 crank and use it. I can cock the 405 but it's more accurate with the crank and easier :). I still have the 380 but haven't carried it hunting once so far.
SEW

Post by SEW »

rt2bowhunter wrote:I hunted last year with the 380 and had no problems killing deer.
I traded around and got a 405 love this bow. I got a C2 crank and use it. I can cock the 405 but it's more accurate with the crank and easier :). I still have the 380 but haven't carried it hunting once so far.
I agree overall. I have both. Equipped virtually identically. The 405 is the primary bow. I cock it with the C2 when leaving home (hunt backyard) or UTV/truck elsewhere but take Dr Stirrup rope cocker on hunt (can cock it ok - I'm 68). Of course, both have adequate power, that's just a given, but the extra 25'/sec gives flatter trajectory, and that's a given also. Speed with most crossbows isn't about penetration as is virtually always mentioned (why ?); rather, it's about trajectory and reaching out a little farther.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I had the same delimma for months on end. I listened to the wisdom of SEW and Normous. Search thier threads on the detailed comparisons between the 380 and 405. I knew that with my finances, this purchase was "one and I'm done" for a while. Had I got the 380 first, I believe that dreaded "what if...." would have haunted me. Nothing against the 380 - I would love to have one in time. I made the right choice for me. I can not be happier with my 405. I was worried about cocking it, but it is not an issue with the rope cocker. I am glad I got the C2 crank, be sure you get one. They are very handy to use with the stringer and cocking the bow in tight quarters. I am not trying to sway you to the "405 club", just sharing my experience with it so far....
donjose

Post by donjose »

Thanks for all the replys, I have a MXB Dagger for back up as well so I am looking to add the 380 or 405 just for movement to the Excalibur style of crossbow. Its not been easy at this point.

Thanks
Jason
Matrix 405 Mega " Widow Maker "
Hawke XB30 Pro
Black Eagle Zombie's
SEW

Post by SEW »

donjose wrote:Thanks for all the replys, I have a MXB Dagger for back up as well so I am looking to add the 380 or 405 just for movement to the Excalibur style of crossbow. Its not been easy at this point.

Thanks
Jason
If you have a self imposed range limit such as 35 or 40 yards(why??); then get a M330,355,380 or just a spear. However, if you want the longest range that you will feel comfortable at making a very high percentage shot; then, obviously you'll want the flattest trajectory possible while staying very accurate. The 405 gives up no accuracy to the 330-380. So the draw back is extra cost, the greater potential of difficulty cocking, slight extra length, slightly greater strain on limbs. Advantages include flatter trajectory, greater range, knowing you're the meanest thing in the woods, and not regretting that you didn't get the 405 in the first place.
Last edited by SEW on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I went through the same thing I ended up with the 405 and never looked back.
I love the 405s speed and accuracy. The question is though if you buy the 380 will you ask yourself "what if or I wonder what the 405 is like" Good Luck on picking, its a tough decision and I couldn't afford them both. :D :D :D
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The difference between the two is how far the arrow goes into the ground on the other side . I would go with the 380 .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
donjose

Post by donjose »

Yep it is not easy i wish the 405 had a smooth rail instead of the camo coating and the 280.00 in money has me leaning toward the 380 but I still have the 405 in the brain. By tonight I will have my mind made up
Hawke XB30 Pro
Black Eagle Zombie's
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

if its not $ that's the issue, or draw weight, then 405 everytime!

-if your looking for a quick bow that is a little less $ and you shoot targets a bit then 380
-If ya hunt out of blinds or waltz thru the woods while whistling for whitetail, then a micro.
-if ya want to have the the best of target and hunting powers then a 405 and a vixen
or a 380 & vixen
or micro and vixen
-if you want to do it all you cant go wrong with any of them.

so many variable from person to person (cababilities or financial) that no one on the forum can really say what you should or should not do but the good news is that you can really go wrong with any of them! Me, I have a different excal for whatever mood I seem to be in from day to day so I suggest in just buying lots! :mrgreen: personally I think for hunting I want the heaviest bow I can pull back with me. Trajectory.
: I hate to love it. I just went from a 380 to a 405.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Just my 2 cents in the matter . I had the 380 and if I had it to do all over again I would of went with the 355 Matrix. I went back to the Exo-series brown Vixen and Exomag an have no regrets what so ever- But again if I wanted a Matrix an to each there own I would take the 355 over the 380 or 405 - again just my 2 cents. But you do what makes you happy !!!!
donjose

Post by donjose »

DaveShooter wrote:Just my 2 cents in the matter . I had the 380 and if I had it to do all over again I would of went with the 355 Matrix. I went back to the Exo-series brown Vixen and Exomag an have no regrets what so ever- But again if I wanted a Matrix an to each there own I would take the 355 over the 380 or 405 - again just my 2 cents. But you do what makes you happy !!!!
Nice I have heard this from others as well, I also like the Exocet 200 as well.
To many things involved to think about

Jason
Hawke XB30 Pro
Black Eagle Zombie's
SEW

Post by SEW »

If you are going to get just one, then get the one that provides what's most important to you. For me, I wanted the longest range. The decision was simple. If I wanted range and wanted to do a lot of target shooting, then the 380. If 60 yards was max, and target shooting, then the 355 or 380. For flattest trajectory, no Excal beats the 405. That's what a lot of us wanted.
Consider the FOC broadhead. 3" cut. Not always a passthru, but EVERY time it didn't passthru, it was DRT. Last one was a big bodied buck this Tues evening. Wap! Thru one side, hit shoulder on other side, and fell dead into pond. Yuk! Got all wet - it didn't sink. So, the 405 occasionally expends all of its energy into the deer. I'm either 14 for 14 with the FOC or 15 for 15. Have forgotten. With the FOC, I like all the power I can have.
donjose

Post by donjose »

SEW wrote:If you are going to get just one, then get the one that provides what's most important to you. For me, I wanted the longest range. The decision was simple. If I wanted range and wanted to do a lot of target shooting, then the 380. If 60 yards was max, and target shooting, then the 355 or 380. For flattest trajectory, no Excal beats the 405. That's what a lot of us wanted.
Consider the FOC broadhead. 3" cut. Not always a passthru, but EVERY time it didn't passthru, it was DRT. Last one was a big bodied buck this Tues evening. Wap! Thru one side, hit shoulder on other side, and fell dead into pond. Yuk! Got all wet - it didn't sink. So, the 405 occasionally expends all of its energy into the deer. I'm either 14 for 14 with the FOC or 15 for 15. Have forgotten. With the FOC, I like all the power I can have.
What is your finished arrow weight with the FOC ?
Hawke XB30 Pro
Black Eagle Zombie's
SEW

Post by SEW »

398.3g.

18" Zombie, AL insert(26g), plastic yellow flat nock (not much g), 2" Blazers, 170g FOC. Blazers 4 degree offset. Helical wasn't as accurate with field points nor FOCs.
When these arrows are gone, I will try the SK200 and SK300 in offset configuration. I think these or at least one of these will excell the Blazers.

We want the arrow with the lowest drag, has great accuracy, that is quiet in flight, and has durability. Having helical creates more drag, requires more foc, and is less accurate with field points and many expandibles. Always try your components with offset rather than helical. Most, but not all, fixed broadheads do better with helical (the boltcutters did well fo me with offset).