Taming the 405...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

Taming the 405...

Post by Gamikatsu »

Well,

finally got around to caughing up the time and money to call Danny and order me some 18 inch black eagle zombie slayers. I was shooting the diablo arrows and 100 grain Rage hypodermics but i was not getting the groups i wanted. Threw the 150 grain tips on and groups shrank. With my Excal vortex i shot Gold Tip laser 2's with Brass inserts and Bolt Cutters. Since i couldn't find Gold Tips at 18 inches and i don't own a arrow cutter, i called Danny. I'm going for extreme FOC and impact. I am putting the monkey tails or whatever there called in my string, in an effort to calm this thing down. Looking forward to great results!

Ed
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
flightattendant100

Re: Taming the 405...

Post by flightattendant100 »

Gamikatsu wrote:Well,

finally got around to caughing up the time and money to call Danny and order me some 18 inch black eagle zombie slayers. I was shooting the diablo arrows and 100 grain Rage hypodermics but i was not getting the groups i wanted. Threw the 150 grain tips on and groups shrank. With my Excal vortex i shot Gold Tip laser 2's with Brass inserts and Bolt Cutters. Since i couldn't find Gold Tips at 18 inches and i don't own a arrow cutter, i called Danny. I'm going for extreme FOC and impact. I am putting the monkey tails or whatever there called in my string, in an effort to calm this thing down. Looking forward to great results!

Ed
Danny told me ( in jest I think) that he would shoot 100% FOC if he could! :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet y'all get it figured out. Good luck
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Well,

Today my black eagle Zombie slayers showed up. These arrows are a work of art! from the blazer vanes to the brass inserts. they are rediculously slick looking. Super smooth. I cant believe how stiff they are. But i have a question...

my arrows are 18" with brass inserts. how heavy are they? i cant' find any published weights on completed arrows from danny. I do see that black eagle offers several sizes of inserts...

Ed
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

ok, so i did some homework and please someone correct me if i'm incorrect.

9.1 GPI X 18 = 163.8 grains for the shaft.
Assuming a 110 grain brass insert (heaviest offered)
Blazer vanes published @ 6 grains each on there website so 18 grains total
Flat nock = 8 grains
Field point or broadhead = 150 grains

Add that up and get...

449.8 grains. If i take the weight of the glue used to adhere the vanes and the inserts, i think its safe to say a solid 450 grain arrow.

Sweeeeet

According to Gold Tip's calculators, my FOC is 25.21%.
Double sweet.

My 405 chronographed 398 FPS over 3 shots with a 400 grain arrow. 140 Foot lbs of kintetic energy. If this same energy holds true with these arrows (i can't imagine i would LOSE very much if any) than a 450 grain arrow would fly at 375 FPS and make the same 140 FPE. I Dig it. My biggest problem is going to be locating my mega sledge hammer of an arrow after it blows through whatever i shoot it at.

I am thinking i might be a few FPS Faster than the 375 and probably pick up some energy... either way, 140 foot lbs is monsterous

Ed
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Well,

BE arrows showed up. my 405 was about 1/2 inch low and left of bull at 20 yds. Chronographed at 379 FPS with the 450 grain arrow. 143 Foot lbs of Kinetic Energy. Talk about Hammer time!

The bow is quieter, seems less violent in the hand going off. My wife noticed IMMEDIATLY how much quieter it is compared to the 350 grain Diablo arrow with 100 grain field point. These BE arrows are SEXY.

Thanks to Danny Miller for helping me out!

Edward
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I think you'll be much happier with your new arrows accuracy wise. If you're shooting plastic nocks you'll also do fine shooting 100gr or 125gr points....because of your 110gr brass inserts. With a beast like the 405 you want as stiff spined shaft as you can find and that's what the zombies offer. Congrats on your new arrow setup, you made a great choice. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.