. . .My rest of the stroy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Starvin' Hillbilly

. . .My rest of the stroy

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Hi all!,
As Ya'll can see I've been a little busy so forgive me if I've been elusive. Muzzleloader started here in Arkansas on the 17th. the Monday prior had to re-scope my dads accura v2 and re-zero it. i shot mine which egged the same hole so we set off and set up the climbers and blinds.
Wednesday I got a call from dad saying that derrick, the owner of the farm we hunt on was moving his cattle where we were to hunt and he didn't want them tearing up our blinds. dad took out and gathered up our equipment and he called me back telling me. all is good though we were going on further back on his property and when the 16th rolled around we went to the back of the property and scouted. we found several scrapes even though the ground was dry as gunpowder.
just like everyone else, excited about that first morning, we got up way too early getting on stand way too early. we sat there in the dark for 2 hours till it got light enough to shoot. opening day Saturday all I saw was a big spike and a pick up load a squirrels, dad had 2 nursing doe's and fawns come up on him w/ other deer working a little deeper in the timber. Saturday evening dad seen nothing but tree rats and I spotted 2 deer some 3-400 yards away, couldn't tell what they were w/ the naked eye.
Sunday, the 18th we adjusted our wake up time and I got on stand at 630 am; gets light enough to shoot at 710. but while sitting there in the dark i heard some rocks a popping and something like "pushing". I couldn't quite put it together cause it was about 300 yards down the hill from me, but dad on the other hand had it in his pocket. At 730 the quiet peacefulness was shattered by 100 grains of triple 7 pellets. I dam near jumped out of the tree. w/ the sound still echoing through the hills dad gets on the radio "I can see a white belly, just sit still".
I sat there scanning back and forth looking not seeing a thing till i saw jus 2 inches of antler tips tripping through the high grass on the downhill side of the field some 150 yards away, moving right to left, then all of a sudden he started quartering across the field then cut back coming straight toward me. at 80 yards he stopped almost face on and started to act as if he was going to cut and run. so I leveled the X hairs on the white spot on his neck and squeezed the trigger. at the touch of the trigger i saw him "WHARP" the ground and tense up and as I pulled my eye out of the scope and looked at him, he gave one final kick.
Dad got the atv and brought the trailer and we loaded mine first (the one on the bottom of the pic Dan posted). we then went down to load his and the first thing i thought was "where was the saddle?" I have never seen a buck w/ that big of a body in Arkansas. (buck laying on top in pic) We toasted our success w/ a thermos of coffee and back to the house for work.
Monday morning, the 19th i killed a doe and on Tuesday I seen another buck that wouldn't measure I stared at him long and hard in the scope but couldn't make an eye guard grow to save my life so he got a pass. the rest of this past week was like someone threw a switch not a thing showed during the daylight and what I briefly read in the forum and the pic vixenmaster posted of his buck that holds true, they be moving at night.
. . .and yes i am guilty of hacking on Dan for passing on a buck 3 times, but i do respect him or anyone w/ that much restraint!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
xcaliber

Re: . . .My rest of the stroy

Post by xcaliber »

Great read Ken.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Your story was exciting. Congrats to the both of you for getting it done.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

That was a good read, thanks for sharing. I bet you did bout jump out of that tree when your dad shot! That was funny. Congrats, again.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Awesome Ken!! U ain't starvin now!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Great story, but where's the pictures?!? :roll:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great story. Glad you both got a nice one!

Here's the picture:
wabi
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Nice ones!!!!!
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Congratulations to you and your dad. Nice pictures and great story. Looks as if you freezer is getting stocked up for the winter. Getting to hunt with your dad is memories in the making. Take a lot of pictures.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Red_label-jr

Post by Red_label-jr »

Great read! Congrats to the both of you!
Waif

Post by Waif »

Well, good of your dad to wake you up and get you on high alert... :lol:

Great hunting there.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's excellent Ken. A big congrats to you and your dad! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Thanks for the story and Congrats to the pair of you!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ken, enjoyed y'alls Hunt story. Congrats again on all the deer y'all got. I have saw 3 small Bucks out of my stands n did get video's of 2 of them :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Congratulations Ken. Those are some nice deer.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls