Limbs, Failures Blem's, deflection, matched, blah blah blah

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

Limbs, Failures Blem's, deflection, matched, blah blah blah

Post by wildcatter »

I am posting this because of so many reports of failures??? I don't know what some call failures, but have most of my buddies tell me I should have my limbs replaced, after looking like and shooting like this for over a year now! I Have come to realize little imperfections do not mean a whole lot, these bows both shoot in +90* to -15* temps, and are cocked for hours in both conditions. I just can't see replacing limbs that perform like these! If they call these bad limbs,,, the 106 that look perfect make absolutely no difference on my bows.

A couple things I have found that I hear a lot of folks assume without testing first, is how much deflection weight or matching makes! There ain't going to be 10fps difference in your limbs from hot or not, and I have proven to many buddies already going from 97 matched to 106 matched, nobody can tell the difference in performance without a chronograph, and that gives me about 5 fps, which is nothing a human can notice,,,, I have proven it time and time again!

As for the matched set,, sounds good but pretty irrelevant has been my experience,,, here is my 380 with 98 and 98.5 deflection,,,,, at 50 yards those 1 1/2" bulls tell me I'm keep'n every shot within a 1/2" to 5/8" POI of each other,,,, @ 70 yards I shot 3 arrows and stopped after ruining 2 of them, all with bad limbs?????? I think not!
Here is a pic of the limbs on that bow,,,

This is the video from the Lynx with the 97 matched limbs group, if matched do better, I don't know how, as this was shot in the wind, and the Mad Max was shot in dead calm conditions??? These bows are capable if you feed em good arrows and the main thing,,,,,, "do your part" the limbs all work!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ubq772Tfc
Again pic's of the limbs on the Lynx,,,,

I have those 106 deflections on a shelf in the cave,,, yep I see no reason to change what I got, and have seen no difference worth mentioning to use them. I can prove everything I stated here and have, time and time again to many. But the one thing I do believe in is keeping arrows over 400 grains for best performance, and this is very obvious in the wind. The slower heavier arrow will not drift off as much as the faster lighter arrows built with the same Vanes and points. Oh ya, and both bows come withing 2 fps of advertised speed with a 352 grain arrow! The Lynx hunts with a 445 grain setup, and the Mad Max hunts with a 542 grain setup, and if either can be topped, I'd love to see how. Untill I have a reason, I will go with these limbs and coninue to shoot 100's of rounds a year thru them,,, heck I may even drop another Buck and a couple doe on a 8 day hunt like the Mad Max took last year in single digit temps,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
gendoc

Re: Limbs, Failures Blem's, deflection, matched, blah blah

Post by gendoc »

if it ain't broke, don't fix it........... 8)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Wildcatter....In Joisey we call that one big fat:

"!" ...fuggetaboutit!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have no doubt yer doin well wid yer Excals n the accurate shootin. My pebbled limb on Captain Morgan jus keeps on workin hot n cold n rain! I am thinkin of ppl. who shoot a much too light of a splinter to brag of speeds. Captain Morgans arrows will certainly be over 400gr. I think i can get some in the 420-430gr area at 16 1/2" in length
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

Just put some camo tape on the limb your bows are drilling tacks
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

vixenmaster wrote:I have no doubt yer doin well wid yer Excals n the accurate shootin. My pebbled limb on Captain Morgan jus keeps on workin hot n cold n rain! I am thinkin of ppl. who shoot a much too light of a splinter to brag of speeds. Captain Morgans arrows will certainly be over 400gr. I think i can get some in the 420-430gr area at 16 1/2" in length
I am with you Mike, I find they shoot much better and the harder the wind blows the more obvious that is!!! My Micro is using 412 grain 16.5" Spynal Tapps, built with 85 grain inserts, 100 grain points, 2" Blazers, and lighted D2 Firenocks for hunting. Without the lights system they are 390 grain, Jerry has heavier inserts if you like. This is what I am getting at 60 yards with fixed broadheads @ 312 fps, one shot is 100 grain Slick Trick, the other is a 100 grain Black hornet,,, the difference in absolute center is about 1/2" to 5/8" with either one, shootin without wind flags,,, I'll take the blame for that,,, :wink: Image

That 542 grain 18" tap in the Mad Max is by far my favorite,,, and I've shot everything from 630 grain to 352 grain,,, the 352 is probably where the splinter came from,,,, :?

Don't worry guy's I won't be taping or covering nut'n, they will saty just as they are and killing anything I put em on,, like gendoc said,, can't fix it if ain't broke... My sky is high and stable,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Nice 400+gr arrow and a good fat D97 string and have at it I say. I don't know if I should knock on wood. But in 7 years of shooting and hunting with excals. I'm still waiting on my first failure of any kind. So I guess if I have one I'll just get it fixed and still consider my self lucky :).
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I have matrix limbs an older long limbs that both have had,have splinters on them but never a limb failure or poi change. I see more blemishes in the finish with more showing after shooting on the matrix limbs.i have changed out limbs many times without seeing a poi change .i have complete faith in my Excalibur limbs .my bows all get 400 plus gr. of 20 inch BEE
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I went over to CBT & someone posted on a thread that Excals short limbed models were havin a 10% limb breakage. Where did he get that figure from ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

minor splinters would bother the heck out of me. ive had splinters more than 1/4 inch wide and would never shoot it that way just in case theres more nasty under or around the top layer failure.if the resin or the way its cured isint right i figure your just seeing the top layer fail. i would always wonder whats under the rest of the painted limb. i know theres been a few that keep on shootin but for safety sake i say why? when theres such a great warranty.i would never be worried about getting another set of limbs that werent as accurate as the old ones.Excalibur makes limbs with repeatable accuracy from set to set from what ive seen. the picture of the limb with the verticle cracks doesnt look good to me. Excalibur has never said what those type cracks are and ive had limbs replaced for that same issue. i dont think its just in the finish but maybe they could comment. be safe!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

foofoo wrote:minor splinters would bother the heck out of me. ive had splinters more than 1/4 inch wide and would never shoot it that way just in case theres more nasty under or around the top layer failure.if the resin or the way its cured isint right i figure your just seeing the top layer fail. i would always wonder whats under the rest of the painted limb. i know theres been a few that keep on shootin but for safety sake i say why? when theres such a great warranty.i would never be worried about getting another set of limbs that werent as accurate as the old ones.Excalibur makes limbs with repeatable accuracy from set to set from what ive seen. the picture of the limb with the verticle cracks doesnt look good to me. Excalibur has never said what those type cracks are and ive had limbs replaced for that same issue. i dont think its just in the finish but maybe they could comment. be safe!
after over a year, and several hundred arrow,,,, I can honestly say because they work,,, till I find better,, I would ask why would I change.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!