Fawns, and beef prices

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Coon Gravy

Fawns, and beef prices

Post by Coon Gravy »

I just can't bring myself to harvest a doe with fawns. At this point they should be self sufficient but I still just can't do it.
On a side note, we bought some 80/20 at the store this weekend and I took the opportunity to justify this years hunting gear purchases. My neck is still a little bruised.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
SummitSitter

Re: Fawns, and beef prices

Post by SummitSitter »

I feel the same way. I won't shot a fawn or a doe with fawns. I would rather just shoot a doe by herself for meat...
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I will shot the fawn every time rather then shot the doe and leave the fawn..The young ones are the best eating ...Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't waste good deer meat nor time of edumacatin the Doe's. I kill the Doe 1st, then the lil one usually run off but come back fer Moma. So i kill it also , ummmm so much good eatin, :)
Last edited by vixenmaster on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rein1

Post by rein1 »

X 2 ,,,
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

vixenmaster wrote:I don't good deer meat nor time of edumacatin the Doe's. I kill the Doe 1st, then the lil one usually run off but come back fer Moma. So i kill it also , ummmm so much good eatin, :)
I found this oddly amusing Mike, thanks for the afternoon laugh.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

vixenmaster wrote:I don't waste good deer meat nor time of edumacatin the Doe's. I kill the Doe 1st, then the lil one usually run off but come back fer Moma. So i kill it also , ummmm so much good eatin, :)
Good eating and easy dragging :)

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
wabi

Post by wabi »

Read an article a year or two ago about harvesting "weanlings". Have to say the author made a lot of good points about reasons to shoot a fawn. They are the least likely to survive a hard winter & predators, they are good eating, easy to pack out & butcher.
Can't say I disagree, but I like to wait until late November or December when they've put on some weight. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....if it's brown it's going down (be careful UPSman :shock: :shock: )....always been my motto...I am not an antler hunter...every deer presented to me is a trophy...and yes the little ones fit right inside the "day pack!".....easy peasey! :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

This is interesting, I guess my reservations for shooting does dragging fawns along, let alone the fawns themselves are a bit misguided in that our deer population is out of control here. They are easier to process and all of the above. I shoot feral piglets almost exclusively when meat hunting and don't think twice about it. Under 50# is the best in my experience, the smaller the better. I put this post up in frustration really... passed on a few this weekend because either the bucks weren't quite legal or the does had fawns along. So much for killer instinct heh.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I myself cant shoot a fawn but nothings worse than a deer being hit by a car on the side of the road .l see nothing wrong with shooting any doe. Or fawn for food I just wish these guys would not advertise a fawn killing by putting it on the back of one of them bumper racks it just gives the antis more fuel . I never show off any deer i get it goes in the back a da truck outta site. Not being a whimp but here in suburbia its not rural texas if you know what i mean. We dont want some little girl cryin in da back of moms lexis suv ....lolol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

longbow joe wrote:I myself cant shoot a fawn but nothings worse than a deer being hit by a car on the side of the road .l see nothing wrong with shooting any doe. Or fawn for food I just wish these guys would not advertise a fawn killing by putting it on the back of one of them bumper racks it just gives the antis more fuel . I never show off any deer i get it goes in the back a da truck outta site. Not being a whimp but here in suburbia its not rural texas if you know what i mean. We dont want some little girl cryin in da back of moms lexis suv ....lolol

....very good point Longbow Joe...we always throw it in a truck or inside the 4 Runner...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Personally.... :roll: I only get one tag per year in Washington...

Yes, I know you can't eat the horns. However, I can re-live each of those hunt's as I grow older while gazing up at them on the log walls of the cabin we live in year around .

I have an understandig wife as long as the little spikes as well as 4-6 pointers (eastern count ) :lol: stay out mounted to a wall in the garage... She refers to that wall as the "Wall of Shame". :roll: Those, I get to look at and enjoy while on my way thru the garage to get on Harley for a nice ride.

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I feel ur pain gene i live in a house fulla women i had a total albino doe under me two times last year i passed thinking of the ribbing id take . Theres no problem bringing a big buck home thank god. For now
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

We dont have an extremely large deer population here in Washington state, so my rule of thumb is never a fawn. no sense in wasting my one and only tag on 35 lbs. of meat and what could be next couple years buck(s).

Does only get shot during the early season, wont risk shooting a deer that just got knocked up with possibly next couple years buck(s).

spikes are pretty much off limits unless season is winding down and my freezer is empty which is really never the case. a few did go down in my younger years

every couple of years (like this year) the wife and I purposely hunt early season does only due to the population ratio. you have to play into QDM if you ever want to get anything bigger than an 2x2 and the doe population needs to be controlled to do that as well.

If I had my druthers, I like the non typical bucks, each and every one is different from the next.
GO HAWKS!