Fawns, and beef prices

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rather-B-Huntin

Re: Fawns, and beef prices

Post by Rather-B-Huntin »

I won't shoot fawns. Only shoot does when it seems to make sense for proper management. Don't "need the meat", I live five minutes from the grocery store.
Hunting isn't about killing deer, it's about proper herd management. Harvest the older deer that are no longer beneficial to the herd as a whole, i.e. barren does and mature bucks.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Hunting public land i don't have the luxury of letting them grow. :(
If it's a legal deer i'm filling my freezer...i like nice horns to but i like back straps & gravy more. :D :mrgreen:
That being said i won't shoot anything under 60 lbs.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

amythntr wrote:....if it's brown it's going down (be careful UPSman :shock: :shock: )....always been my motto...I am not an antler hunter...every deer presented to me is a trophy...and yes the little ones fit right inside the "day pack!".....easy peasey! :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
Ain't nothing wrong with meat hunting. I usually kill a couple of does or cull bucks then sit back and wait for the antlers. :D :D
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Waif

Post by Waif »

Fawns is the veal equivalent.
Vixenmaster's right as to order of dropping multiple deer.
Take that lead doe first.
Depends on the herd and environmental(browse impact)for how many fawns to remove.
Predators can be hard on them ,as well as winter in some areas..
Leaving buck fawns can produce antlers next year and beyond,, but young does if your busting does out of the herd can keep numbers steady in the future... where older does can drop twins or more if not taken out.
So....a doe fawn if your hungry and looking at numbers a year or more out for reductions in herd size.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

venison is one of the if not the healthiest meat you can get. those young ones are the best eating you can get :!: I will pass on them until late season so they have a little extra time to put a few pounds on while I try for a bigger one but, when December gets here and I am still looking to put meat in the freezer then I might have to shoot 2 of them if given the chance to make up for the big one that I did not get
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
ds762

Post by ds762 »

vixenmaster wrote:I don't waste good deer meat nor time of edumacatin the Doe's. I kill the Doe 1st, then the lil one usually run off but come back fer Moma. So i kill it also , ummmm so much good eatin, :)

+1. If'n the little ones hang around too long ...
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i have no problem shooting a fawn. i like to make sure there are no buttons up there but in the end horns are just horns and most of the buck i shoot i give away to people who need the meat. if i want deer meat i will dump a young doe or a fawn.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Rather-B-Huntin wrote:I won't shoot fawns. Only shoot does when it seems to make sense for proper management. Don't "need the meat", I live five minutes from the grocery store.
Hunting isn't about killing deer, it's about proper herd management. Harvest the older deer that are no longer beneficial to the herd as a whole, i.e. barren does and mature bucks.
If it ain't about kill'n, what kind of hunting do you do???,,, To me it requires kill'n but it's all about filling the freezer, and I don't care which six it is, I kill every doe that that lends to the cause, and if he's got enough horn, I'll kill the male species too. I hate going to the butcher and paying good money fer garbage!! I usually talk the wife into a couple hunts and some years she takes one or two, but now 6 is all I can kill here in Ohio and have to move around to do that.

Them that like eat'n them vaccinated and steroid raised pets go fer it, I don't want walk across the street fer that chit! This old boys freezer keeps a steady supply of squirrel, wasbitts, and venison, with few doves and pheasant thrown in now and then,,, and don't forget that heavily stocked supply of freshly caught Walleye and a few Yellow perch,,,, but I don't prefer vaccinated meat on my table!! If that bugger wants to keep walk'n, it better keep it's distance around me,,,,,,, :wink:

It only bothers me when I get greedy and have to work my ars off, I usually like to pace myself, but sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach,,,, :lol:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Rather-B-Huntin

wildcatter wrote:
Rather-B-Huntin wrote:I won't shoot fawns. Only shoot does when it seems to make sense for proper management. Don't "need the meat", I live five minutes from the grocery store.
If it ain't about kill'n, what kind of hunting do you do???,,, To me it requires kill'n but it's all about filling the freezer, and I don't care which six it is, I kill every doe that that lends to the cause, and if he's got enough horn, I'll kill the male species too. I hate going to the butcher and paying good money fer garbage!! I usually talk the wife into a couple hunts and some years she takes one or two, but now 6 is all I can kill here in Ohio and have to move around to do that.

Them that like eat'n them vaccinated and steroid raised pets go fer it, I don't want walk across the street fer that chit! This old boys freezer keeps a steady supply of squirrel, wasbitts, and venison, with few doves and pheasant thrown in now and then,,, and don't forget that heavily stocked supply of freshly caught Walleye and a few Yellow perch,,,, but I don't prefer vaccinated meat on my table!! If that bugger wants to keep walk'n, it better keep it's distance around me,,,,,,, :wink:

It only bothers me when I get greedy and have to work my ars off, I usually like to pace myself, but sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach,,,, :lol:
See the part about "Don't need the meat". Venison is fine, but I prefer cow for the table. I enjoy the "hunt", not necessarily the "kill". I've harvested scores of deer. I find immature deer to present little challenge, and the amount of work involved to get a deer from field to freezer isn't much more for a mature deer which provides more meat and much more challenge.
To each their own. If it's legal and you're happy with your harvest, go for it. I'd rather let the little ones walk until they present a more worthy opponent.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

So you just kill them for the bones???? Image
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
Rather-B-Huntin

wildcatter wrote:So you just kill them for the bones???? Image
No, I don't just kill them for the bones. What did I not make clear in my previous threads? You seem as if you just want to stir controversy? Or are you just a special kind of stupid?
I hunt for the challenge of going head to head with a mature deer and winning. I don't always win, but the challenge keeps me coming back. It'd be like a deer sitting in your house, you being unaware of it's presence, and it taking you. Immature deer don't present any challenge. I've found some squirrels to be tougher to harvest than immature deer, and killing immature deer does nothing for me. And I don't believe that continuously harvesting immature deer to be beneficial to proper herd management. On occasion it can be justified, but it has been been my experience that those whom consistently kill immature deer are those who lack the skill to consistently kill mature deer.
Again, if it's your thing and it's legal, have at it. But my best hunting memories aren't of deer that I can carry in a backpack. Many of my best memories are of deer that I didn't even shoot. But say what you will about not being able to eat horns, nobody lays in bed and dreams about killing a yearling.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Rather-B-Huntin wrote:
wildcatter wrote:So you just kill them for the bones???? Image
No, I don't just kill them for the bones. What did I not make clear in my previous threads? You seem as if you just want to stir controversy? Or are you just a special kind of stupid?
I hunt for the challenge of going head to head with a mature deer and winning. I don't always win, but the challenge keeps me coming back. It'd be like a deer sitting in your house, you being unaware of it's presence, and it taking you. Immature deer don't present any challenge. I've found some squirrels to be tougher to harvest than immature deer, and killing immature deer does nothing for me. And I don't believe that continuously harvesting immature deer to be beneficial to proper herd management. On occasion it can be justified, but it has been been my experience that those whom consistently kill immature deer are those who lack the skill to consistently kill mature deer.
Again, if it's your thing and it's legal, have at it. But my best hunting memories aren't of deer that I can carry in a backpack. Many of my best memories are of deer that I didn't even shoot. But say what you will about not being able to eat horns, nobody lays in bed and dreams about killing a yearling.
I ask because you stated you don't care for the meat!! Sorry but as rude as you are being those are not yearlings,, I understand some spending more time being rude and insulting, than learning to age deer has clouded your judgement, but a good deer in most hunters book, and three of the doe are the same age as the buck a 4 1/2 year old deer, sorry but thanks for all your chest pounding insults,,,

Yes that is the same buck in the picture, and as you can see 3 of the 4 doe are comparable in size, and also 3 1/2 to 4 years old?? I understanding thinking they are all immature piled up like that,,, and how you wouldn't know the difference, at one time in my life I wouldn't have either, but the doe are 10 times better eating even though the same size, if you only kill and eat bucks this caliber,,, I can understand your decision to get you're meat at the garbage distributor down the street,,,, I assure you in the 61 years I have been hunting sometimes tagging out in 2 or 3 states to get the meat I need to survive. But that was when the limits and heards were much smaller.

Today the heard is growing year after year!! and I have lived primarily on wild game my entire adult life! So forgive me but 3 and 4 year old deer are far from yearlings!! But we could irresponsibly pound are chest and accuse people of killing deer that need taken to keep the herds in check. You say when you wait and let all the deer get to large of numbers you end up with situations like Michigan is in, with disease in some areas and kneading sharpshooters to come in and thin the heard to try and stop the spread of disease,,, you need to be a little less insulting till you learn the situation.

If every state left the deer herd get to to the age you describe before a kill it would be so irresponsible that over population would cause disease to spread at alarming numbers and we could have more situations where deer are killed just to burry and eliminate to try and save some sort of healthy heard,,, So while responsible hunters keep the heard healthy and in check,,,, enjoy your dream,,,,, good night!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!