String strand loose...I know I need a new string...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: String strand loose...I know I need a new string...

Post by paulaboutform »

Just to be very clear, do not shoot a string with no twists. Know what your brace height should be and keep it there. If your new string is at the correct brace height or more, when settled call Dawn at Excalibur because your string may just be too short. If your string has no twists, add 10 or 12 and see where that puts you.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Also make sure you twist the string the right direction are you will have a bigger problem
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Thanks for the help everyone.
Yes the original string shipped from the factory did have some twists in it (I never added any) I've now replaced it with another excalibur matrix string. Got 10 twists in it and it's cocked and hopefully stretching out a bit as we speak. With any luck I'll have a chance to shoot it in Thursday while still having time to hunt the last day I can be in the woods before rifle season here.

So what would cause a strand to break like that? I have been doing some walking through the woods but don't remember any specifically sharp shurb or anything like that. I have a case so the bow isn't in with broadheads or anything else. It's basically straight out of the case to my hands, and back to the case.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Green380 wrote:Thanks for the help everyone.
Yes the original string shipped from the factory did have some twists in it (I never added any) I've now replaced it with another excalibur matrix string. Got 10 twists in it and it's cocked and hopefully stretching out a bit as we speak. With any luck I'll have a chance to shoot it in Thursday while still having time to hunt the last day I can be in the woods before rifle season here.

So what would cause a strand to break like that? I have been doing some walking through the woods but don't remember any specifically sharp shurb or anything like that. I have a case so the bow isn't in with broadheads or anything else. It's basically straight out of the case to my hands, and back to the case.
Where did the strand break? If it's between the claws I would suspect aluminum nocks with a sharp edge. If on the jaws I would suspect a flaw on the jaws. If it's between the claws and end serving it may have been a damaged strand while making the string or lack of twists or.....? There could be a lot of variables.

Paul
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Strand broke halfway (roughly) from the left limb tip and the center serving.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Green380 wrote:Strand broke halfway (roughly) from the left limb tip and the center serving.
Hmmmm, very strange place to break with no outside factors. I'll defer to the string maker types. Boo......are you out there? :mrgreen:

Paul
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Here is a picture to show it.
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Just an update for anyone who ever wanders across this thread in the future.
A single broken strand has been confirmed by excalibur as not being the reason to end a hunt.

As far as new string stretching goes. My 380 has the new factory string on now and I'm 16 turns (counterclockwise as appears to be traditional) in and brace height is just over 3/4 I anticipate that to drop again and require adjustment. So far it's been cocked for about 10 hours total and fired twice.
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

Just came across this having recently shot my TD360 about 20 or so times. A strand broke in the same place as the previous poster's did.

Should I melt and wax or replace altogether? It was assembled by Cabela's here in Ottawa. I will have to check brace height on this. It was marked on the rail of my old Exocet, but can't see that on this bow.

Thanks.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Alaspan wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:25 pm
Just came across this having recently shot my TD360 about 20 or so times. A strand broke in the same place as the previous poster's did.

Should I melt and wax or replace altogether? It was assembled by Cabela's here in Ottawa. I will have to check brace height on this. It was marked on the rail of my old Exocet, but can't see that on this bow.

Thanks.
I would contact Boo from this forum, and get a sturdy Flemish String on your bow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

Thanks the advice. His string on my Exocet has lasted many years!!