Arrow hold down spring arm

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pickwick

Arrow hold down spring arm

Post by Pickwick »

I have been trying to add things to quiet my 330 down for the last couple of days and read that you can put heat shrink on the tip of the arrow hold down arm. This is when I noticed that mine is laying flat on the rail. I had read somewhere that it should be 3/16 or so off of the rail. Is there any way to adjust it or bend it up? Not real sure why mine is like this, it makes a loud clang even with heat shrink.
TheBig1

Re: Arrow hold down spring arm

Post by TheBig1 »

Pickwick wrote:This is when I noticed that mine is laying flat on the rail. I had read somewhere that it should be 3/16 or so off of the rail.
It is? I'm not sure what it was like when I had my regular rail on, I do know that it was a lot easier to put the bolt in, but ever since I changed to the ADF I have noticed that it's definitely laying directly on the rail and that I have to reach down, and pull it up a little to allow the bolt to slide back. I am not able to do it with one hand as I was before.

Not that I'm questioning you Pick, but is this true that it should be up off of the rail?

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Heck, maybe not, Im new too :D I just thought that I read somewhere that it was supposed to be up off the rail a little. You know how it is when you get something new, at least in my case, I read too much cause Im scared of messin something up :lol:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

LOL Me too! That's why I joined this forum and began asking questions. We may find out something that we didn't know.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Drew

Post by Drew »

The arrow retainer should be about 3/16" or so off the rail. It shouldn't "clank" after the shot as it will eventually dent/chip the anodizing. You can gently bend it up (GRADUALLY) until it's off the rail.
I know quite a few use shrink wrap but I've found that a piece of surgical tubing or slingshot tubing works better. It deadens the vibration of the arm after the shot. I have a piece of Teflon tape on the bottom side where it contacts the arrow and it's slicker than snot. You can also just lube the underside with Scorpion Venom rail wax.

I'll post a pick tonight.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I had to bend mine up as well... not sure if it was from adding the ADF or from accidentally getting my stringing aid caught on the top of it. :shock:
I didn't care for the shrink tube method so I put a small piece of mole skin on the bottom of the spring and it did help.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

There we go Big1! Thanks for the help men. Do I need to stick a dowel or something above it or just bend it up onto the scope rail? The heat shrink really don't help with the clang, I have some tubing to try.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I lightly bent mine up by grabbing under under it with my finger and lifting it up until it stays just off the rail. It does help with the noise a little ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Thnx Ron! Gonna go fix it now!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Pickwick wrote:There we go Big1! Thanks for the help men. Do I need to stick a dowel or something above it or just bend it up onto the scope rail? The heat shrink really don't help with the clang, I have some tubing to try.
Good question Pick, well played! See we definitely learned something. I'll be doing this tonight for sure. I also really liked the idea of the mole skin. I think that's what I'll be doing with mine.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member