Doe Estrus?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Doe Estrus?

Post by TheBig1 »

Ok, when do you or when will you begin using estrus?

Is anyone using it now?

With all of this talk about the rut not being fully engaged would you use it now in the pre-rut?

Appreciate your time,
Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
galamb

Re: Doe Estrus?

Post by galamb »

I don't use it until there is clear evidence that bucks are pursuing does.

I have read that if you use it too early you can spook deer - ok, maybe. I personally don't think it would spook them, but it may be a waste of scent since it would be "ignored".

As of 9 days ago in Eastern Ontario I was still getting game cam pics of "bachelor groups" - and when bucks are still hangin' out together it's "too early". But then they (the bucks) have "gone to ground" since those last pics - that seems to be a somewhat typical pattern - they split up and go stealth until the rut starts (usually within a couple of weeks).

Having said that, when I get out on Saturday I will use a single estrous scent sparingly and see if it gets any interest. I won't "drag it in", something more simple like a few drops on a scent pad hung on a branch - try to mimic a single doe coming into heat (early?).

I'm a "scent junkie" and by the time the rut gets into full swing (if I haven't got my deer by then) I will have 4 or 5 "different" estrous scents on the go (I want Bambi to think every doe in the area is ready to go and they are all hangin' out at the base of my stand :)), plus the smoking sticks, pheromones and a couple of gland scents (I'm a reseller, so get lots of "sample packs").

(ps - does my system of "overkill" work? I can't say that it doesn't chase away "some deer", but I'm 4 for 5 in the last 5 seasons using the "perfume factory" - so at least a few bucks are "dumb enough" to fall for it or at the very least, it's not scaring all of them away :))
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Graham, I truly appreciate your help. Don't ever be shy about sending some samples our way. :lol:

I think that's what I'll do tomorrow and Saturday then. Just a few drops on a cotton mouse hung in a tree.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] the last couple years ive done away with the estrus . I only use doe p .i hose my rubber boots walkin in on the way to stand i spray a few trees within shooting range. I use it on the decoy.its amazing how good it works you can mist the air wen u get a buck downwind really gets there attention. I tried the estrus version never really noticed a difference. Ive bought it wen wallmart runs outta the reg pee. Thank god for wallmart best prices on tinks. I put that sh....t on everything.last season i used almost 20 cans no lie .impossible to overuse it . (Important tip wen misting a buck make sure hes definately downwind. ) it tastes kinda bad ...im told......
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

"It tastes kind of bad I'm told." Lol

I didn't buy any regular pee, I only bought the estrus.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

(Important tip wen misting a buck make sure hes definately downwind. ) it tastes kinda bad ...im told......
Now that my friends is some solid advice!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I'l, start with some dominant buck lure this next week as they aren't rut'n here yet and that is naturally what draws their attention first, plus I'll be look'n to draw that dominant buck out, hope'n he wants to try kick my ars and take them biches,,,,,, I got sompin for him if he wants to try me....... :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Wildcatter, trying to figure out what to use tomorrow and Saturday.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Had a fork horn come in to check out the estrus scent 2 nights ago, and on the way home I had to stop and let a "Huge" buck cross the road in front of me... He had his nose to the ground and didn't pay any attention to my truck a few yards from him. ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

A friend of mine worked a well known scent co..in a nutshell a plant eating animal in estrus's urine is indisguishable to a buck . In other words a lot of what ur getting out there is cow in estrus urine n honestly it dosnt really matter to a horney buck anyway. Think of it do you really think theres really that much doe urine out there to satisfy a jillion hunters who buy it. If you really knew a guy who has a deer farm n is bottling tbe stuff up in the peak of the month that would be great. But as with every buisness the allmighty dollar takes over n the cow urine comes out its the truth. All these little companies start out honest n then get the cow urine temptation. To make a profit. He told me only about 10percent of the urine you get is actually estrus urine. Thats why i just use plain urine. The ultimate thing is to get ur buddies rutty bucks tarsel gland he shot yesterday then you got a smokin gun!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Them Buck's is the biggest chest thumpers there is when them bitches is gett'n ready!! They will get stupid chasen another buck off just as quick as they will look for that doe when they smell her. The cool thing is the bigger buck the more he want to kick that ars,,,,,,

When I buy sent I don't go to box stores and don't buy cheap stuff, the cheaper it is well like longbow just said,,,, these companies know the good stuff will pull the buck,,,, no pun intended..... :wink:

P.S. the biggest thing I see folks do wrong with scent is use way to much, and that just ruins it! it don't take much, a drop or two will get er done,,, the whole bottle just ruins the area,,,, always done my best using any scents sparingly!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Waif

Post by Waif »

I'm not using scents this year,,yet ,if I do but should have started earlier.
In the past, last use was on a scrape that was used years in a row on one site and on my mock scrape on another I would tie a strip of cloth wetted with estrous out of reach above them. Both had licking branches of course.
Rewetted each visit.
Both had bucks hit them ,even a couple during the day.

Does are affected by other does and I wanted deer to associate those scrapes with first rut activity.
Bucks check urine for doe in estrous.
(ours included so ..ahem..use the scrape ,yours or theirs and save on costs)
Again bucks check urine for doe in estrous.. They are sampling it through a processor.
What if it is estrous doe?
In a real life situation a doe urinates. Buck checks urine(flehming is actual method I think, lip curl ect. look up flehmen response)
and can follow doe from her unique inter digital scent glands if she is not loitering nearby.

We can hang/spray/ distribute estrous scent and or urine to try to attract a buck.
Dragging a scent trail from louder amount's location used to attract is an option,or just laying out a scent trail to the hot spot louder amounts location where we want the buck.
Lots of pee is fine anytime ,with estrous anytime after antlers are hard.
Around here,my opinion not gospel, around the third week of Oct. -First week of Nov. is near craziest pre rut bucks are to most likely to check out estrous scent with no doe in sight.

Seeing does loitering around one of the previously mentioned doctored scrapes around the third week... followed early Oct. start to wetting the strip of cloth.

Experiment.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thank you very much fellas, I appreciate the input.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

TheBig1 wrote:Thanks Wildcatter, trying to figure out what to use tomorrow and Saturday.
....heavy Old Spice and a good C-Gar should work fine today and tomorrow! :lol: :lol: :lol: I won't be starting with any estrus until next week at the earliest!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

amythntr wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:Thanks Wildcatter, trying to figure out what to use tomorrow and Saturday.
....heavy Old Spice and a good C-Gar should work fine today and tomorrow! :lol: :lol: :lol: I won't be starting with any estrus until next week at the earliest!

Anthony :)
Yeah, but if I did that Anthony no bucks would come around because they'd KNOW the biggest buck of them all was in the mountains. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member