Feeling giddy -- no more.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sparkey

Feeling giddy -- no more.

Post by Sparkey »

Went out last week and sat and saw a little nub but otherwise some grey squirrels and not much else. Tuesday I installed my new ADF and did some sighting in to get her back on target. Bow is now all setup! Shooting good at 20-30 yards. Would never venture to shoot any farther at this time as I am not comfortable at a longer distance.

125gr QAD Exodus broadheads grouping within 1" at 20 and 2" at 30.

It is weird though. Last week hunting was nothing special, but today, sitting at work I am feeling all giddy and excited. Reminds me of first dates back in high school, what was like three decades ago! LOL

What is even better, I Bought my wife a Parker Challenger and she has shot her rage practice tips in the same hole three times in a row at 20. Her first time bow hunting. Think she is more excited than I am! 8)

Good Luck everyone! If its brown its down!
Last edited by Sparkey on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
rein1

Re: Feeling giddy!

Post by rein1 »

Good for you ,, Get in the woods
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's awesome!! Good luck and safe hunting to you both. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

That's the way you should feel. I'm getting ready to leave and I know it's going to be exciting!
And that's after about 60 years since first tagging along with my dad on his hunts. :shock:
wabi
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Wishing both you and your wife the best of luck... Be safe and shoot straight.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You youngsters have fun! Hope you get it done up North there Aye! :wink: I wish my wife would hunt with me, but she goes with our daughter's, they're "Bargain Hunter's"! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

xcaliber wrote: I wish my wife would hunt with me, but she goes with our daughter's, they're "Bargain Hunter's"! :lol: :lol:

X2!. . . .sometimes i'm scared to come home to see what i'll find! :shock:

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Dan, Have they ever found you a garage sale bargain on a nice Excal. ? Better yet, did they bring it home? :lol:

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Back from my weekend hunting trip.

Saw a small doe and that was it. In fact it was sooooo quiet in the woods that I decided to go Grouse Hunting Sunday afternoon. (My Brittany was going stir crazy) lol Saw one bird nailed one bird. But otherwise, seemed earily quiet in the woods.

A bit disappointed in my Grizzly however.

Saturday was a wet, rainy day in the lower 40's and after 6 hours I was coughing so much I decided whats the point. Anyway, got back and wiped the bow down. Let it sit an hour an wiped it down again. I repeated this until the bow had stopped sweating from coming inside. Qtip's, gun cloth, paper towel the remove all the moisture I could see and then a bit of rem oil.

Next morning I get up and head back out and after it started getting light out I loaded my arrow and noticed an orange color on the trigger fingers. Stayed out till noon and back in the cabin and the trigger is more orange than metal. WTH?

I have never had this much rust form that fast on anything I have hunted with before. crap, I have sat out in what felt like a monsoon with my Mark X .270 and the bolt never did what this trigger did.

I am concerned if the view able parts of the trigger are this bad, what does it look like inside the trigger ?

Question: Is this to be expected ? I mean I spent a lot of money for this and am none to pleased at this time. My wife's Parker was in the same conditions, cleaned and dried just like mine and her trigger looks fine ?

I have contacted Excalibur and am awaiting a respone....
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Sparkey wrote:Back from my weekend hunting trip.

Saw a small doe and that was it. In fact it was sooooo quiet in the woods that I decided to go Grouse Hunting Sunday afternoon. (My Brittany was going stir crazy) lol Saw one bird nailed one bird. But otherwise, seemed earily quiet in the woods.

A bit disappointed in my Grizzly however.

Saturday was a wet, rainy day in the lower 40's and after 6 hours I was coughing so much I decided whats the point. Anyway, got back and wiped the bow down. Let it sit an hour an wiped it down again. I repeated this until the bow had stopped sweating from coming inside. Qtip's, gun cloth, paper towel the remove all the moisture I could see and then a bit of rem oil.

Next morning I get up and head back out and after it started getting light out I loaded my arrow and noticed an orange color on the trigger fingers. Stayed out till noon and back in the cabin and the trigger is more orange than metal. WTH?

I have never had this much rust form that fast on anything I have hunted with before. crap, I have sat out in what felt like a monsoon with my Mark X .270 and the bolt never did what this trigger did.

I am concerned if the view able parts of the trigger are this bad, what does it look like inside the trigger ?

Question: Is this to be expected ? I mean I spent a lot of money for this and am none to pleased at this time. My wife's Parker was in the same conditions, cleaned and dried just like mine and her trigger looks fine ?

I have contacted Excalibur and am awaiting a respone....
Wow! I've never heard of such a thing. I live in a rainforest and can't tell you how many times I've had my M380 out in absolutely disgusting torrential downpour and everything looks fine. Good thing there's an excellent warranty.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
j.krug

Re: Feeling giddy -- no more.

Post by j.krug »

I could be wrong but aren't the trigger levers made of anodized aluminum? :?:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Sparkey

Re: Feeling giddy -- no more.

Post by Sparkey »

j.krug wrote:I could be wrong but aren't the trigger levers made of anodized aluminum? :?:
Just the lever maybe. Apparently the internals are not. Since the safety is part of the trigger, I am wondering if it is even safe to use as I have no idea what the inside of the trigger looks like. I guess as long as the pull doesn't change and I keep it oiled it should be ok the next few weeks until I can return it on warranty.

Mark
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound