Torn

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turkey slayer

Torn

Post by Turkey slayer »

so I have my six year old son in the blind tonight to experience hunting an there has been a little doe an little I mean maybe 40 to 50 pounds looks like a dog walking threw the woods lol she's been coming threw every night but I don't care to shoot little ones my preference not against anyone else doing it. I'd really like him to experience a blood trail an the hole hunting experince. Would like your input?
BrotherRon

Re: Torn

Post by BrotherRon »

The next time you take him with you I would wait for a bigger one, but it really doesn't matter. The bigger ones have a higher survival rate, and if it doesn't matter to you - let him experience the thrill of the hunt with you ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'd be in no hurry and if it takes a few more afternoons of setting for the one you want to show, :roll:
Your also getting more quality time with your son.... :D :D

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have no issues with shooting does or young animals as long as there's an abundant population. Tastier food as I see it. However, it's all about what you want to teach your son. The lessons you teach him now are what he'll keep with him later. Try holding out as long as you can from shooting the little one and explain you're waiting for a bigger deer that yields more food. Also express how great it is to be able to just be in nature and seeing the animals and choosing the right one to shoot. The blood trail will come in time. When you shoot a mature doe or buck he'll understand why it was better to wait. Just my take on it. Let us know how it goes. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

paulaboutform wrote:I have no issues with shooting does or young animals as long as there's an abundant population. Tastier food as I see it. However, it's all about what you want to teach your son. The lessons you teach him now are what he'll keep with him later. Try holding out as long as you can from shooting the little one and explain you're waiting for a bigger deer that yields more food. Also express how great it is to be able to just be in nature and seeing the animals and choosing the right one to shoot. The blood trail will come in time. When you shoot a mature doe or buck he'll understand why it was better to wait. Just my take on it. Let us know how it goes. :wink:

Paul

X2 you are teaching respect for the resouce and above all to be patient. Kids are used to instant gratification these days so this will be a valuable lesson for him.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good Luck, and whatever decision you make, it will be the right one. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I am like you. I don't know what would be best. I guess it would depend on the youngster. If he seems like he was losing interest I think I would put one down asap. If not I would wait. Good luck to you.
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
taz9861

Post by taz9861 »

torn I would say shoot it are let him shoot it burn in his mine and you be able to keep him out the woods besides little one are best eating
Turkey slayer

Post by Turkey slayer »

Well she came in at 17 yards an I asked him what he wanted me to do an he said is she small an I said yes she is an he said dad I would like to have some meat so I told him to really watch her an I shot her with a nap killzone an she ran maybe 15 yards an expired. So he started shaking so he followed the blood trail an he also dragged her to the road. He's a big six year old an she was small compared to him then he looked her over an said dad can we say a prayer an my heart sank so he lead the prayer an he said he'd like to have deer sticks made lol an after all the field dressing he looked at me an said dad I love fishing an hunting with you , an he said that he wants to go hunting every time when I go . Just a all around wonderful experince, one of the greatest moments in my life .
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

I love it!! Absolutely wonderful!! You have a hunting partner for life and he sounds like a great kid!! Awesome!!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Turkey slayer wrote:Well she came in at 17 yards an I asked him what he wanted me to do an he said is she small an I said yes she is an he said dad I would like to have some meat so I told him to really watch her an I shot her with a nap killzone an she ran maybe 15 yards an expired. So he started shaking so he followed the blood trail an he also dragged her to the road. He's a big six year old an she was small compared to him then he looked her over an said dad can we say a prayer an my heart sank so he lead the prayer an he said he'd like to have deer sticks made lol an after all the field dressing he looked at me an said dad I love fishing an hunting with you , an he said that he wants to go hunting every time when I go . Just a all around wonderful experince, one of the greatest moments in my life .

I like that . . .he understood his options and he made the decision, and he like's them deer steaks! . . .he'll remember your time together for the rest of his life! good job dad!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

That was a wise thing to ask him what he wanted to do. Great hunt better memories, congrats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

A big Congratulations! to you.
Sound like he was hungry! :lol: :lol:
wabi
Waif

Post by Waif »

A most memorable hunt Turkey slayer .

Congrats.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Awesome !
I was going to recommend you follow your gut and pass on the small deer but then your gut told you to get your sons input and what a great moment the two of you had !
Great outcome :D
Congratulations .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.