String Twist

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dave131

String Twist

Post by dave131 »

Seems every time I add a twist or two on the string of my 380 it changes the POI and I have to adjust my scope. Is this normal or do I just have to shoot it till the string stretches out?
xcaliber

Re: String Twist

Post by xcaliber »

Really should not change the POI. Add extra twists and cock it over night. Then make sure your scope mount is tight, and sight her in.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Adjust your scope once you have the string at the brace height you want it set at.
Then put a small mark on the side of your rail with a sharpie marker so that you can easily look to see if your string needs adjusting. As your string stretches and creeps above your mark you will notice that it will shoot a little higher. When you add twists to bring it back to your desired brace height your POI should be dead on again. :wink:

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
dave131

Post by dave131 »

Thanks for the quick response!
I've had my 380 for 3 years and have taken a very nice 8-point with it last year and 5 does, 2 so far this year.
I'm shooting a factory string that I have had over a year now. Gone through 4 other strings but this one is incredible. lost count of how many shots, probably well over 500 and it looks almost new. But it still keeps STRETCHING.
I try to keep a brace height of 3/4" back from the joint where the riser meets the rail as called for on the instructions. I did mark the 3/4" on rail but did not think of cocking it over night.
But I will tonight!

Thanks again for the info!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

xcaliber wrote:Really should not change the POI. Add extra twists and cock it over night. Then make sure your scope mount is tight, and sight her in.
X2 on what Dan said !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Leaving your bow cocked overnight will help a new string, but won't have much affect on one with 500 shots on it. It may stretch some but strings stretch the most when you are shooting them a lot. Launching an arrow puts more stress on the string than leaving it cocked. Factory strings never really stop stretching. If you want a string that won't stretch much and settle in quickly I would suggest a Rhino string from 8ptbuk, or a Force 10 string from Boo or vixenmaster. Rhino and Force 10 strings don't have as much stretch, but will have a little more shot shock/vibration. Boo might have a couple 30 strand Force 10 strings left, but if not I would talk to 8ptbuk about a 32 strand Rhino string, or vixenmaster about a 30+ strand Force 10 string. Strings with more strands will lose a couple fps but will help quiet the bow down a little. My personal preference is a 40 strand string from Boo or 8ptbuk as they help considerable in reducing noise and vibration, but the material used in those strings will stretch and need periodic twists.
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

I just changed from a factory string to a nchunterkw string and the POI changed. I had to make one adjustment after the string settled in overnight and that was it. The CB is shooting great.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've had the poi change after changing brace height or just removing the string and putting it back on. The poi always returned to normal after a couple shots. It seems as if it needs to settle back into the tips or something after being fiddled with. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
dave131

Post by dave131 »

Thanks to all for the great information. My string did stretch out after about 7-8 shots and is now back on target. I do plan on getting a custom string just have not gotten around to it. This factory string has held up so well that I kinda skipped getting another string. I do need to get a string where I won't lose any more speed as I'm shooting a somewhat heavy arrow around 420gr. and am thinking of going heaver moving from a 125gr. killzone broadhead to a boltcutter that will add more weight. But that will probably be next years project.

Thanks again!

Dave
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Why not fill out your profile so people will know where you are located?
Makes it easier for others to help out ;)