Lost

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Chief

Lost

Post by The Chief »

Well as many here know I am recently retired and moved to Ga. I have been doing OK as far as my deer hunting has been going. Well Fri. I went to the only place I have permission to hunt and found a crew there cutting trees. At first I thought it was the next door property but after talking to the Forman I found that it was the little 30 ac. piece I had to hunt and even worst its not a select cut its a clear cut. I am so depressed about this I am about to give up. Most state land is lottery only and if you win you only get a couple days to a week of hunting any where else is just to far to go, and now being on a fixed income gas money for travel is a problem. I have knocked on doors till I'm blue in the face. I have been hunting for 50 years and I think this just might be the end for me what a way to have to end my hunting. Well thanks for letting me bend your ear I don't know people around here to talk to so I take it out here. Thanks.
xcaliber

Re: Lost

Post by xcaliber »

That is really rough, sorry to hear about it. Hopefully you'll find a place to hunt soon.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Where are you at in Georgia ? :?
I live in Savannah & there are several WMA's within a hour to an hour & 1/2 from me. Check and see if there is a military base near you if they allow public hunting. I hunt on Fort Stewart and it's managed really well.
Good luck!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Chief, what a heartbreaking piece of news. I'm sure sorry to hear that. I hope something turns up soon for you...with lots of deer and lots of big bucks. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

Chief
Keep your head up and don't quit now. In my opinion, it's pretty chicken %#@t that the property owner didn't let you know they intended to clear cut the land, but I discovered along time ago that there are a lot of chicken %#@t people in the world.

I have a cousin that works for Westervelt Wildlife Services in GA, and I'll talk to him and see if he can offer any suggestions on places for you to hunt.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Chief, Sorry to hear this ! BUT realize in about 3 years that clearcut is going to be an amazing place to hunt ! Hang in there ! ALOT of times in the past I've lost prime places to end up in even better places !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

8ptbuk wrote:Chief, Sorry to hear this ! BUT realize in about 3 years that clearcut is going to be an amazing place to hunt ! Hang in there ! ALOT of times in the past I've lost prime places to end up in even better places !
Exactly! When the amazing part starts is dependent on the rate of growth. It can be only 2 years.
You might want to consider planting for an even earlier hunt.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Bummer for sure...sorry to hear you lost your hunting spot. I sure hope you find another place to hunt.

What a drag that the owner has decided to clear cut a 30 acre parcel of bush. Is he clearing it for agricultural use?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
frisky

Post by frisky »

I can relate to this also. The little area of natural woods I have hunted for 20 years is going to be logged off . They are going to clear cut a "U" shaped cut in the middle of this 10 acre spot. It may be good as it will create "funnels" for deer movement.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN. :( :( :(
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Buddy sorry to hear the news. Something else will come your way. Just hang in there....
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

We all can relate one way or another! Hope things look up for you in the future. :)
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
lswoody

Post by lswoody »

After the logging crew is done, jump back in there. You never know what might stick it's head out
Proverbs 3:5-6
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

lswoody wrote:After the logging crew is done, jump back in there. You never know what might stick it's head out
Absolutely!! Gonna be a lot of treetops and brush on the ground for cover. Deer love that stuff, find the thickest stuff and look for trails coming and going. It would be a perfect opportunity to plant a couple of small throw and grow food plots also, that is, if the loggers don't sow their roads with wheat or rye. Keep your head up, you will have a honey hole in short order. You will still see deer in there this season would be my bet but next year will be good for sure. Lemonade man, lemonade!!
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

Thanks for all the good words guys! I am trying to be positive but it is rough. I haven't seen the land owner ( He is a pretty famous retired baseball player) so I don't know if he is going to sell the land off to a builder after this or not. The big piece across the street is going to a builder. I sure hope not.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

I think your on the verge of something big if you stick with it
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters