Old Skool Trick or Treat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Old Skool Trick or Treat

Post by flightattendant100 »

I got to go to the lease this past weekend, without the perpetual motion and noise machine. He wanted to stay home and Trick or Treat ( he must have been switched at birth). I have shot his Micro and my Matrix all spring and summer, but recently have put together a "parts" bow from parts obtained here on the Trading Post. Its a Vortex rail, drilled to go on a standard stock. Stock is old style, trigger is old style with a Boo trigger job, Boo string, camo on limbs and stock don't match etc., etc.,. Its not a beaut, but it sure shoots nice. So when I was loading the truck, I just couldn't leave it at home.
We had 10" of rain in the last 10 days, so it was a muddy mess out there, but it did quit raining Saturday morning. I figured once it stopped raining game would move so I got into the pop-up blind. I hadn't seen one thing until about 30 minutes before legal shooting time was over, and an average size boar showed up. I got a quartering away shot at 20-21 yards and took it. I hit the off side shoulder so no pass through. Hog took off and I heard limbs and rocks in just a few seconds then quiet. I only waited about 15 minutes because light was going pretty fast. Zero blood trail, but the ground was so soft you could follow its tracks easily enough. Hog made it about 30 yards and piled up. Lots of frothy blood at the wound but not anything on ground.ImageImage
I went back Sunday morning, and had a deer come through very early, just a ghost, but it didn't stick around. At around 6:45 a coyote crossed between me and the feeder. I had almost the exact same shot at it and put it down. My shot was high. I spined it and it went down right on the spot. It had a buddy that I never saw, in the brush but very close that yapped at it for 45 minutes non stop. I guess it couldn't figure out why this one wouldn't come on. I never did see the second yote. After the yapping went on for a while, I tried to call it in with some mouth calling but no luck. It finally stopped yapping and left. I figured after all that my hunt was over so I slipped out to the truck. Colton couldn't believe I got a hog and a coyote on the one time he wasn't with me :?Image
The old Exo series bows are wider, but man they are sweet shooters. I sure enjoyed the hunt, shooting the older bow and bringing "parts" back to a working bow. This has been a fun project, even if it is not a beaut! :D
Last edited by flightattendant100 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulaboutform

Re: Old Skool Trick or Treat

Post by paulaboutform »

Poor Colton, tricks for him and treat for you I guess Paul....I went through similar results when I was a teenager and chose to stay home and sleep and my dad would limit out on birds. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

I forgot. The arrows were some I have had a while and re-fletched with some peacock vanes that I got off the Trading Post(thanks, Anthony)
flightattendant100

paulaboutform wrote:Poor Colton, tricks for him and treat for you I guess Paul....I went through similar results when I was a teenager and chose to stay home and sleep and my dad would limit out on birds. :mrgreen:

Paul
Can you believe.....This was "Youth Weekend" in Texas. Youths 17 and under got to hit the woods a week earlier with a gun than the rest of us.And he Trick or Treated!!!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the pig and dog!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the Harvest and the good time with the project bow.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Double congrats on both yer animals, huntin time jus be good medicine :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

that little hog gots some cute cutters on him, good job on yer double!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

If you cold do it? I'd sure like to see pictures of your " spare parts bow".
What type of numbers are you getting from it?

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
flightattendant100

[quote="L. E. Carroll"]If you cold do it? I'd sure like to see pictures of your " spare parts bow".
What type of numbers are you getting from it?

Gene[/
Numbers? :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a '49, '50, '51, ' 52 :lol: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the double.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

Nice haul congrats. You gonna eat your porker? I have a twin to him comin to my corn. Have not hunted yet but he will be on menu when i get to go. Great huntin to you
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Way to go Paul....Colton wanted to go T or T'ing :?: :roll: ....Tell him I called again and offered you top $ for his Matrix since he isn't giving it the proper usage! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the double!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats on the double down. Maybe you can trade Colton a pound of bacon for a few chocolate bars?? :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
flightattendant100

j.krug wrote:Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats on the double down. Maybe you can trade Colton a pound of bacon for a few chocolate bars?? :lol: :lol:
That's good! :lol: