How Long Can I Leave It Cocked?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Woods

How Long Can I Leave It Cocked?

Post by Big Woods »

I just suffered a significant back injury and am looking to try a few sits on the ground. I may have to have my brother cock my 355 for me. How long can I safely leave it cocked?

Thanks
rein1

Re: How Long Can I Leave It Cocked?

Post by rein1 »

I've heard some guys left it cocked up to two days , Myself the most was 14 hr hunt..
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

I've left my 355 cocked all day on numerous occasions.when stretching a new string i'll leave it cocked for a day or 2.been doing it for a couple years without a problems.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The older models could certainly stand it fer several days straight, never uncocking it til ready to
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I just put new limbs and new string on my 380, cocked it and left it 7 days - all good to go. When moose hunting I always leave it cocked and hanging in tree 3-4, days at a time.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I normally shoot to decock after every hunt, but after an evening hunt, I've left mine cocked in the blind overnight knowing I would be hunting the same stand the next morning.
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Id like to know how long Excalibur left one cocked for testing the limbs. Im sure that has crossed their minds.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

If it stays cocked more than four hours you need to consult your Dr.! :lol:
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

when I had a crack in the 405 limb I left it cocked for 5 days ..crack didn't get any bigger and poi didn't change..figured if it snaped let it happen out in the jeep at night.
SEW

Post by SEW »

A good friend of mine has used a Horton for over 10 years. He usually just takes it and doesn't resight it in or check it. And he does well with it. Anyway, 3-4 years ago, the evening before the start of Arkansas archery bear season I arrived at his house. He couldn't find his xbow but then remembered he'd put it in his attic. Attic!! At Mountain View, AR it gets HOT in the summer and much hotter in an actual attic of a 2 story house. Anyway, he found it and brought it down. It was still cocked from 11 months before when he quit archery hunting, hadn't shot anything with it last year and had left it cocked that entire month. So it'd been cocked at least a year. AND he still was going to hunt w/o checking it. We bear hunted 3 days, no bear; and I got him to then shoot it at 30 yards. Dead on! Unbelievable! Granted, this was a 150#, low performance , wheeled xbow.
The 380 & 405: never longer than dawn to dusk.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

SEW wrote:A good friend of mine has used a Horton for over 10 years. He usually just takes it and doesn't resight it in or check it. And he does well with it. Anyway, 3-4 years ago, the evening before the start of Arkansas archery bear season I arrived at his house. He couldn't find his xbow but then remembered he'd put it in his attic. Attic!! At Mountain View, AR it gets HOT in the summer and much hotter in an actual attic of a 2 story house. Anyway, he found it and brought it down. It was still cocked from 11 months before when he quit archery hunting, hadn't shot anything with it last year and had left it cocked that entire month. So it'd been cocked at least a year. AND he still was going to hunt w/o checking it. We bear hunted 3 days, no bear; and I got him to then shoot it at 30 yards. Dead on! Unbelievable! Granted, this was a 150#, low performance , wheeled xbow.
The 380 & 405: never longer than dawn to dusk.
That is impressive! I did an Excal for a few weeks and thought it was awesome, but almost a year, that's just amazing.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
NFH

Post by NFH »

Big Woods wrote:I just suffered a significant back injury and am looking to try a few sits on the ground. I may have to have my brother cock my 355 for me. How long can I safely leave it cocked?

Thanks
Have you considered buying a C2 crank to cock your bow? I always felt I had no need for one until I tried one. While I still prefer the rope cocker for speed and simplicity, the C2 is a nice tool to have on those days I have a sore back.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

I'M THINKING THE COCKING OF THE BOW IS JUST AS DANGEROUS AS SHOOTING AN ANIMAL, TRACKING, GUTTING, HAULING AND SKINNING. YOU SHOULD REALLY GIVE YOURSELF TIME TO HEAL.

OTHERWISE... EXCALIBUR DOES HAS A VIDEO OUT, THAT THEY LEFT ONE COCKED AND SITTING OUTSIDE FOR 3 DAYS BEFORE THEY CHECKED IT.
GO HAWKS!
NFH

Post by NFH »

YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor