Brace height vs limb stress

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Re: Brace height vs limb stress

Post by Masboy »

I know you lose more power stroke but when them limbs are narrowed when cocked that would have to put more stress on them an increase poundage on the limbs pull weight would it not?
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

been a while but ive done experiments with a few twists at a time. you can see with a chrono what brace height shoots fastest and where adding or subtracting twists dont change things much at all.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,m not saying anything about length of power stroke an speed . just saying with a high brace height that narrows your limb width you are putting more strain ,stress on them . keep making them smaller width an they will pop at some point.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

If you went to some ridiculous extreme yes it would put more load, but 1" is not going to add poundage to the bow
Last edited by wildcatter on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Masboy wrote:I know you lose more power stroke but when them limbs are narrowed when cocked that would have to put more stress on them an increase poundage on the limbs pull weight would it not?

I give,,,,,
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
DMc

Post by DMc »

wildcatter wrote:I don't think brace height can be to high,,, but I am not sure???....
No offense intended but this is wrong. As the string is shortened the pre-load increases, as you mentioned. But instead of looking at the shortened power stroke, look at the limb tips when the bow is cocked. They will be closer to the trigger and under more stress than they would be with a longer brace setting.
I personally do not think brace height has anything to do with the current limb failures.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

DMc wrote:
wildcatter wrote:I don't think brace height can be to high,,, but I am not sure???....
No offense intended but this is wrong. As the string is shortened the pre-load increases, as you mentioned. But instead of looking at the shortened power stroke, look at the limb tips when the bow is cocked. They will be closer to the trigger and under more stress than they would be with a longer brace setting.
I personally do not think brace height has anything to do with the current limb failures.
I agree, and yes in exaggerated cases you will, you are correct! but you have to go past what the specs call for, if you go over 1" to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" inches above the rail riser seam yes, you could, but spec is 1/2" to 1" on all Matrix bows,,,, I recommend you stay inside that distance!!!!

I use 1" and when it gets to 3/4" I readjust, zero is always perfect as is speed, I do this on both 380's. I do this because after 100's of shots thru the chronograph, both mine are the most consistent, usually within less than 1fps in a 10 shot string, I said speed is a wash,,, anything inside that 1/2" any draw weight you gain is washed with a shorter power stroke,,,, plus as I showed in the picture, when the string (two block's) against the back of the limb and the tip continues forward,, the more you allow it,, the more stress you put on your bow's Mag Tips,,,, I prefer to set mine up with as little stress as I can induce!!! Look at the picture, check your limbs and decide for yourself what all has to give here the farther forward those tip's are allowed to recoil forward with lower brace height and decide for yourself, what is easier on the limbs, mainly the glued on tips!

It is in the manual on page 18,, if you are not aware of that as I am sure many are not!!! This may be one more season we here of problems!!! Read your manual and stay withing their recommendations. It's up to you to do enough shooting and getting acquainted with your own bow to see what it works best with. Just like an arrow, shoot a 350 grain if you like, but I will assure anyone if you shoot a 450 grain and test both, you will feel a smoother shot sequence, quieter shot, and more consistent shots from one to another as well as shoot much more accurate in the wind, and have more Kentic Energy,,,, but by all means trip your own trigger,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!