Magnus Broadhead Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

Re: Magnus Broadhead Questions

Post by wildcatter »

Excellent shooting broadheads,,,

but as for FOC,,,, I'll take as close as I can get to 20% any day,,, and shoot more accurately and seems to drift less in wind than less FOC.... it also depends less on helical which creates noise and slows quicker than a reasonable offset. JMO
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I shoot 125 grain 4 blade Stingers on both of my Excaliburs, and I like them. Never had one deploy early or fail to deploy :mrgreen: I guess they're old technology by today's standards but they zip through deer and hogs like butter and they kill them dead, what more can you ask for. Knock on wood I have not lost an animal yet with them, although it will probably happen at some point.
On my Exomag they were very easy to tune, I guess due to the slower speed. On my M380 they were a little more challenging, not sure if it was due to the much faster speed or the shorter 18" arrows or the extra weight of lumenoks on the tail but it is certainly doable, and I get 1-1/2" groups at 50 yards. Good enough for me.
On neither bow do they shoot "just like field points" because they are not field points. If I want to shoot field points that's what I sight the scope to, then when I switch to broad heads I sight in for them. A little inconvenient perhaps but I like to shoot the actual broadheads I hunt with, then sharpen them good and they're good to go and I know where they'll go.
It depends on your insert weight as to what broadhead weight you choose to get your FOC where you want it, but personally I wouldn't go less than 100 grains if of no other reason than for the bigger cut diameter. I went with the 125s over the 100s for that reason. Good luck with whatever you choose, the black hornet is a mean looking head.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Waif

Post by Waif »

Ya, note Kegbelly's approach...
Getting broadheads to hit where field tips do might be doable with some broadheads.
But when it is not, why worry?
Just shoot a broadhead.
If broadheads group, no planing, no flyers at random for unknown reasons ,adjust sites to dial them in for pin point accuracy and go hunting!

Finding a broadhead you like that flies straight to where you point it is more important than fieldtips matching their performance or risk of compromise can result in using a different head....
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thank you all for your comments and views. I also think that due to the ease of use of my XB30 Pro that I'm not so hung up on the field point/broadhead thing any longer although I did mention that in this thread.

I say that because once I shoot it in, I can simply right down my zeroing numbers for each configuration and switch at will. So I'm not hung up on that any longer as it pertains to my crossbow.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Waif

Post by Waif »

The Big one:
Good point on recording numbers/setting.
I'll do that next time I switch heads.... :oops:
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot Magnus 2 blade 150 gr stingers at bison and hogs. Out of my vortex they fly very well. 1" group at 40 yds. And I agree with others that the high FOC is what you want. Gives better accuracy. I even shoot 2" feathers to increase my FOC just a bit more. I just fletch them with helical and all is good.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Waif wrote:The Big one:
Good point on recording numbers/setting.
I'll do that next time I switch heads.... :oops:

Waif, do that with every arrow and broadhead setup that you have. With my scope it's very easy due to the numbers. Just right them down and for the most part, barring anything extraordinary, you're right back on target.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Chad before you commit to the Magnus brand of broadheads you should check out SteelForce broadheads made right up the road from you in Honesdale PA.
Check out there web site.
www.steelforce.com
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:Chad before you commit to the Magnus brand of broadheads you should check out SteelForce broadheads made right up the road from you in Honesdale PA.
Check out there web site.
www.steelforce.com
Thanks Brother, I'll be sure to do that.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member