Light for tracking in the dark

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

Light for tracking in the dark

Post by WNYBILL »

I guess an LED flashlight is the thing to use. Prices are from $3.00 to $103.00. Anybody found a reliable, reasonably priced one? What features do I look for? Do I want one that uses AA or AAA's or a rechargeable.
TheBig1

Re: Light for tracking in the dark

Post by TheBig1 »

I buy the headlamps from Lowe's that have both white light and red LED lights on them. They're the cheapest that I've found and work great.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have a camo tuque with built in LED lights, works great, my daughter uses a small headlamp, it's very strong, I no longer hold onto a flashlight.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

A buddy of mine turned me onto a Bushnell trkr T1200L. Its -$50 at wallyworld and has 1200 lumi's, also red for night and a combo blue/red for tracking blood. Lights up a field at night, but haven't shot anything to track yet. Runs on 9 aa's.
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
munch

Post by munch »

Norm here sugested a fenix tactical and I can't belive this light I always boyfriend cheap lights but will never again. Mine is 980 lm. And it's a model pd35 you could hint coons with this thing .so happy I've bought my son my brother and oyster moose hunting partner all one . Around 85 bucks but worth every cent wish I could show you how well it works
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I got one of these. It uses a 18650 battery like a lot of the Vaping people use in their electronic cigarettes.
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1195010

It is unbelievable bright and tough. From my back door to the fence across the backyard is 50 feet. From the door the S2 lights the fence up light daylight!!

I rob 18650 cells out of old discarded Laptop battery packs. Most of the time I get really good batteries. The electronics in the battery pack usually fails rendering the pack useless. 18650 cells can also be purchased on EBAY, etc. Stay away from any advertising over 3000maH or so capacity. As of now that's the best capacity available.

Good Cheap 18650 Charger: XTAR manufactures excellent chargers.
http://www.xtarlight.com/05-chanpin/...sp?styleid=300
Shop around for best price, i.e. EBAY
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've got 4 Ultimate Wild lights, and they've been great.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Fenix HL55 headlamp.
10-55-165-420-900 lumen settings. The 420 is high (3hr 45min run time) and 900 is "burst" mode which stays on for about a minute or two if you need extra light, then switched back to the previous mode being used.
I use the 18650 recharagable batteries and just recently purchased a Fenix 3400mah battery to try. Be careful buying eBay batteries! Some do not have protection circuits built in and can be dangerous! I would recommend buying from the dealer that you get the light from.
I also carry a Fenix E15 (170 lumen / CR123 battery) on my keychain, and a spare E15 in my pouch on my quiver. For the price/size it's cheap insurance. :lol:

A good seller in the US is -
http://www.fenix-store.com/
wabi
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

wabi wrote: I use the 18650 recharagable batteries and just recently purchased a Fenix 3400mah battery to try. Be careful buying eBay batteries! Some do not have protection circuits built in and can be dangerous! I would recommend buying from the dealer that you get the light from.
The Covoy S2 I recommended has the protection circuit built into the light. I believe a lot of them do. In this case I use unprotected 18650 cells safely.

Good point to be sure!! Always know what the equipment may have for protection.

Lot's of good 18650 battery reviews here:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries20 ... %20UK.html
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
SEW

Post by SEW »

Use FOCs and just a cheap flashlight to get from your stand to where you shot the deer.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

wabi wrote:Fenix HL55 headlamp.
10-55-165-420-900 lumen settings. The 420 is high (3hr 45min run time) and 900 is "burst" mode which stays on for about a minute or two if you need extra light, then switched back to the previous mode being used.
I use the 18650 recharagable batteries and just recently purchased a Fenix 3400mah battery to try. Be careful buying eBay batteries! Some do not have protection circuits built in and can be dangerous! I would recommend buying from the dealer that you get the light from.
I also carry a Fenix E15 (170 lumen / CR123 battery) on my keychain, and a spare E15 in my pouch on my quiver. For the price/size it's cheap insurance. :lol:

A good seller in the US is -
http://www.fenix-store.com/
x2 on the HL55, best compact headlamp I have ever owned. when I need BRIGHT LIGHT I bring out a coon hunters led headlamp that has a rechargeable battery pack carried on my belt. pricey, but instant daylight :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I use a Petzel and a Cyclops headlamp. Both run off AAA batteries, have multiple brightness and colour settings and are around the $45 mark. I've had both for years and have had zero problems with them. I keep a good flashlight in my pack too but like having my hands free when tracking and working in the dark.

Trying to field dress a deer and keep a flashlight aimed where you need it is a PITA!! A headlamp makes this job so much easier. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Also on the recommendation of Normous, I have both the Fenix PD35 flashlight and HP25 headlamp. I use them daily at work and for fishing. I haven't used it hunting yet but they are absolutely awesome and I highly recommend them both....even for the extra money.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
strum

Post by strum »

I use the Fenix pd35 also. David recommended it to me for use in my Home Inspection business.. it is by far the best light i ever used for attics and dark crawlspaces. I have been using it to get to my stand but i have to use it on the lowest setting and even then i cover the lens some to reduce it a little.
as far as using it to track with . I haven't needed it yet but im more than sure it will out shine anything i ever used in the past.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
BeatleBailey

Post by BeatleBailey »

I have used the Bushnell TRKR lights this year. Bothe the handheld and the headlamp. As stated earlier it has white, red and a blood light. I've shot 2 deer this week in the evening and used both lights for tracking. They have worked great. I forgot the headlamp in my jacket pocket and my wife washed it. It opened up and the batteries came out. It was full of water. I let it dry out and it's good as new. And scent free
Excalibur Matrix 380 Blackout