Thoughts on a new crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Thoughts on a new crossbow

Post by grouse »

I have wanted to buy a second crossbow for the past year but I'm not comfortable with the choices available. When I bought my Axiom four years ago, I went with the least expensive suitable recurve crossbow to gain some experience. Although I am 100% satisfied with my Axiom, I feel a need to have a second bow and relegate my Axiom to backup status.

I have never shot or cocked a Micro, but I have held one and I really like the size and balance. Having read the many comments on this forum about how well micros shoot, I'm not concerned about it's power or accuracy. Neither am I concerned about cocking it. I am 66 yrs. old and have severe shoulder arthritis but the cocking motion doesn't hurt me (I'm 6"2", work out at a gym 3 times a week and can easily cock my Axiom without the cocking rope). My issue with the Micro is reliability and I would say that it is currently a deal breaker.

Extra speed is appealing to me, but not at the expense of reliability. My Axiom has plenty of power to kill deer in normal ranges. It appears to me that Excalibur has pushed the envelope a little too far with the 405 and Micro. People love every model Excal makes when it doesn't break (I am particularly impressed with comments I have seen on the Grizzly). I would be very interested in seeing a Micro 310 or 305 if it proved to be more reliable. As the owners of Grizzlies, Ibexes, Phoenixes and Axioms can attest, 300 fps is plenty of power to hunt with. It could have either a SMF or aluminum rail, I wouldn't care. That model would likely end up in the field with me.
axiom
350 SE
amythntr

Re: Thoughts on a new crossbow

Post by amythntr »

....Sad that you feel this way Grouse...I love my ....Bada Bing 8) ....and would make same decision if I had to make the decision all over again....interesting that we haven't heard of any breakages in the last month....hmmmm...could the issue have been resolved...I do not know but it is too GREAT of a crossbow not to buy and shoot the snot out of it....just a thought...get it after the season...shoot as much as you can...there will be no pressure on you or Excal to correct it (if in fact there is one)....I think next year you will agree with the many satisfied Micro owners! Nothing more than JMHO! :wink:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
grouse

Post by grouse »

Sorry to disagree with you Anthony, but there seems to have been a breakage reported very recently. Your suggestion to buy one in the off season and shoot the heck out of it seems logical and I may do that.
axiom
350 SE
Waif

Post by Waif »

Take your time I guess.
While any bow can suffice as a back-up, My having two different models is for other reasons.
If I were choosing a bow with one already owned as back up and reliability was a concern.... I would buy the same model already owned allowing for lots of replacement parts in hand.
Your having a back up would make some of your concerns about a Micro less at hunting time by taking the Axiom if you did not trust the Micro, and allow range time to gain confidence in a Micro's durability.

Were I forced to choose one for you to try out right now ,from your post ,
a Grizzly may be the first but trying out multiple models would be worth it.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Your need for a little more speed... Is understandable.. I felt that way after last year with my Ibex, it has plenty of power and filled my freezer to the top. But i felt a need for a little more speed. And after a lot of back and forth with which bow to get i finally chose the Matrix 355 and have been completely satisfied...The mighty mouse 335 never appealed to me, and i'm sure glad of that with all the issues, i know they say less than 1 or 2 percent. But come on....I was seriously considering the 380, but lately there has also been more issues with that model than i am comfortable with. My son for instance has just gone thru his 3rd set of limbs, don't get me wrong. I will never shoot any other crossbow other than a Excalibur! Love em... Any how the 355 has been every thing and more for me. Fast, accurate, and completely reliable. Slinging arrow after arrow down range, heck at 30 yards or less i think i could shoot a flea off a hogs butt.. Smile... Also the Matrix 330 is another dependable reliable choice.. Good luck bud...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Matrix 355 or 330... :wink:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

if i was doing only one it would be a 355 . middle of the road no real issues.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I would wait until I see what next years models are at this late in the season.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

gerald strine wrote:I would wait until I see what next years models are at this late in the season.
I'm going to watch for Black Friday deals. I've decided on a 335 RealTree Extra for myself.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Demon Deacon

Post by Demon Deacon »

I'm enjoying my Axiom. Would like to add a Matrix for next season. I was planning on the 330...small step up in power, more compact, with few to no issues I've heard about. Nice balance of performance and reliability it seems. I then got to thinking I might like a little more speed/power if I'm going to spend the money for another bow, so I thought maybe the 355. I've not heard about any major problems with those, either. Like you, I don't think I'll go for a 405 or a Micro. Without having shot one, but based on my reading, the Matrix 355 might be the best bow Excalibur makes (for what I'm looking for).
Axiom...so far
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I love my 355! I thought about getting a micro but there are WAY too many issues with them for my tastes
RobD

Post by RobD »

I started with the Axiom for the same reason, and I ended with the 355. A little more power, still somewhat easy on the limbs. My vote is for the Matrix 355.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I love my 355......but looking at mt avatar, I'm pretty sure that bull would tell you he "Hates It". :lol:

Honestly, they are plenty fast, very dependable, accurate, and the power as far as I'm concerned, is never an isssue nor in question :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Matrix 330, or 355. All the punch you need, and very easy to cock.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yea bud... 330 or 355 hands down...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)