The Ventilator strikes big buck down !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

The Ventilator strikes big buck down !

Post by gerald strine »

My brother and I just Just had a hunting trip "Up North" to Houghton Lake Mich And the Bucks are in full chase mode wow what a trip I had The first day I had a spike as close as 10 yards for over ten minutes trying to figure me out in my tree stand he never panicked but was on my sent trail were I walked in and was giving me the stair down he finally gives up and walks off we have a 3 point on a side restriction so not interested in shooting. and later a different spike buck was trying to give a couple of does the business chasing them all over but they would have none of it , He would grunt and cut them off and run them all over but It was no use, then I had a Bob Cat come trotting through looking very robust and beautiful AWESOME !
This was all before 11:00
On the evening hunt I had a six point come through but If I shot him I would not have a tag for gun season as I have all ready filled my first license so I let him pass wow more deer sightings in one day than in the whole month of October!
Day two the spike of the first day comes and repeats the what the heck are you routeen at first light at this point I have killed him at least a dozen times with out touching the trigger, finally he wanders a bit off and I can relax and stop the statue routeen but ten minutes latter here comes a decent buck most likely a eight point trying his best to cut off and herd a nice doe the buck is trying to cut her off and she passes ten yards behind my stand but she is not receptive and now the spike tries to join in the chase and the eight point ,The spike and doe they run circles and what not until they are out of sight wow cool stuff ! I gave the eight point buck a pass as he was no bigger than the deer I have in he freezer And I want to gun hunt.
A half hour later I am sitting their an I hear one grunt straight behind me a ways off I twist and crane around the tree and see a wonderful white rack and huge deer on the cent trail of the doe the eight point was harassing.
This buck was coming bird dogging the scent trail of the doe and giving one grunt every twenty yards or so wow I was getting geeked this deer was coming out of the thick tags through a morning misty fog and if he stayed on course would walk almost under my stand ! tall white antlers lots of mass, my heart starting to race I am twisted around the tree trying to get a shot behind me and get enough room for my bow limb to not hit the tree at the shot 20 yards no shot, 15 yards no shot, 10 yards point blank I can clear the tree and have a scope full of brown fur put the top of the duplex where it narrows behind the shoulder and I let the Equinox AKA "The ventilator" bark !!!!
The recoil , bow noise and the sound of the deer being hit by a bolt happen in a split second off he goes 40 yards out he stops stands a few seconds , walks in a tight circle , a cough , a wobble then down he goes !!!
Wow less then sixty seconds from trigger pull to down .
I am not sure how big he is all I know is that he was for sure a shooter no second guessing . I give him a bit do some deep breathing full of Adrenalin rush yes,yes,yes did this just happen it did .
I find him and he has a huge body for our area, a line backer neck and nice mass on the antlers.
Down I go on bended knee hands on the giants neck , prayers to the heavens sent,
After some reflection time I need to put my tag on him and fill it out but I can not decide how many points he has are his brow tines one or two points they are trying to be doubles, he has a lot of small points that I am not sure if they really qualify or not he has broken growths I need a second opinion , Some soy points need to be one inch ,some say can you hang a ring on it , some say a have inch is counted .
I end up tagging it a nine point on the conservative side but their are thirteen attempts at points on this rack .
The deer gutted weighted 190 lbs and is my personnel best.
And the best part of it was I was hunting with the best guy you could ever hunt with my brother who truly rejoices at our success.
Here is a line to the pictures the first three pictures in library tab on top bar.

http://s897.photobucket.com/user/1642re ... 9.jpg.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
hankenhunter

Re: The Ventilator strikes big buck down !

Post by hankenhunter »

Nice buck! Hard to tell from the pic. 9 point? Big body and a nice shot. Congrats.
Hank
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congratulations! Nice mass on that buck....and great shot! Thanks for sharing that great story. :wink:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Congrats for sure!! Nice deer sir!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congratulations. I'm heading out the door, hopefully I too will have something to post.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on a fine deer n great hunt, enjoyed yer story
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Congrats. Very nice buck. :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Congrats on the buck and thanks for the story. :D
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

hankenhunter wrote:Nice buck! Hard to tell from the pic. 9 point? Big body and a nice shot. Congrats.
Hank
He has non typical little sticker growths on one outside beam they were damaged and broke but one was still an inch long I tagged him a nine point is is hard to get a good angle on the rack I was taking my own pictures with a mini tri pod I can strap on a sapling or use on a stump put the camera on timer and run in and get into position in ten seconds.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the buck!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

Congratulations!!!
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope

Post by newbie »

Congrats!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
wabi
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Photo for all to see.
Nice shot and a very nice buck. Congrats.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

That's a great looking buck, congrats!
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member