Boat Access Only

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Boat Access Only

Post by ko4nrbs »

How many of you have to use a boat to get to your hunt area? I have an excellent spot on the river that is about a 20 minute ride from the boat ramp. Having to use the boat is kinda of a pain especially in cold weather. A couple of years ago my buddy and I did it in December when it was in the low 20's. It was in the dark so he ran the spot light while I drove. We busted through thin ice pretty much the whole way. The 20 minute trip took over 2 hours. I ended up with Hypothermia and had to be brought home sick as a dog!! Never again.

It's going to be in the 60's today so I am heading down there to check my trail cameras and do a little hunting. If I see any good sign I'll go back Monday morning and stay the night in the boat then hunt Tuesday. I'll head back before dark!! I have seen some monster bucks in this area on the cameras.

Nobody ever said it was easy!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
gerald strine

Re: Boat Access Only

Post by gerald strine »

I think your hard work will pay off one of these days in a huge buck.
Go get him,good luck.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Keep us posted on the hunt, :) these kind of hunts,is the kind I like to read about. :D Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Myself and two buddy's hunted a river spot that we had to get into with a square back canoe. Took two hours with the 5 horse motor ..some great bucks came out if that hole..my buddy went in one night by himself spent the night in tge boat and hunted the morning. Got a real big 10 point buck .he had to cut the deer in half to get it to the boat .when he pulled in the driveway the next day he had the front half of the deer strapped in the front seat with the seat belt .lol getting to old for them kind of over night hunts .lol Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Going in by boat on some of the lake locked government land is me and my Dads back up plan if we loose our private place to hunt . . .jus more prep work, but as you said there are usually deer in there that has never seen a man! :shock:

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I hunt by boat an get to places that other hunters can,t from shore . deer love the steep cliff hillside thickets when most hunters are hunting the top . I can troll for walleye an look for deer at the same time or stop an glass the thickets on the hillsides. my kind of hunts deer,walleye,duck combination hunts.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Well I made it out there and back ok. Checked my trail cameras and only had a small 4 point buck and several does. It was a great day, sunny and in the high 60's.

Cleared an area under a big cedar tree at the base of a long running hill. Also found a good tree for my climbing tree stand if I want to use it.

The absence of bucks in this area leads me to believe the runt either isn't on yet or they are holed up someplace else. Too many does in this spot for there to be no bucks.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Have had some great experiences by boat and canoe the weather really makes or breaks those hunts.
That being said it really can get you to some out of the way areas that can be very rewarding.
The best things in life are not things!!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

MADMAX2 wrote:weather really makes or breaks those hunts.
You got that right!!

A 20 minute boat ride in bad weather ends up being over 2 hours. My main concern with the weather is extreme cold and high winds. Either one makes for a dangerous game. In addition since it is a river floating debris like logs, etc. are especially hazardous. In the dark this get's scary even with a good spot light.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Aero320

Post by Aero320 »

We had a private farm that had hunted for 15 years. Lost the lease a few years ago. Started looking for another place to hunt on some public land around a lake. First step was to drive around the land to see where it was accessible by vehicle. I then started looking at places that needed a boat to access. Have been hunting that way ever since. My biggest complaint is that the boat is at water level and the deer are on top of the hills. The first trip out will really test muscles that you don't often use. Each trip gets a little better. After a while, you develop a group of "lucky" trees that you hunt from. Since it is public land, you are not allowed to leave a stand in the woods. My Lone Wolf Sit n Climb works very well in this situation.

The lake is deep, so we don't have to worry about hitting stumps but it can get windy. The biggest problem I run into is dense fog. That blocks a view of the shore. I usually get my phone out to navigate with.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
No One

Post by No One »

I was think about taking my Kayak out for a hunt.
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Took the day off last Friday and travelled to a large eastern cedar swamp about an hour from home. This swamp is public land but due to the terrain there are no trails (walking or ATV). The only way back there is via the water. This swamp is legendary in the local annuals for monster bucks as it is so difficult to hunt. Many bucks here die of old age without ever crossing paths with a hunter.

I put in and paddled back about 1.5 miles on the lookout for patches of deciduous trees and white pine. These trees are on isolated patches of ground that is 2 or 3 feet higher than the surrounding swamp and are typically magnets for deer. I spotted one such patch and spent the next 20 minutes trying to find a place firm enough for me to get out of the canoe.

Finally found a spot and spent the next 20 minutes trying to cover 100 yards to the dry patch of trees. Finally got there and found lots of track, rubs and 2 fresh scrapes.

I sat on the ground 20 yards downwind overlooking the scrapes with 3 possible shots. The afternoon passed uneventfully and at last light I packed up and made my way back to the canoe (took me 40 minutes to cover the same 100 yards in the dark) and paddled out. All and all a good time even though no deer were harmed. Would have been an interesting challenge to to get a deer to the canoe.

Shortly after put in on the open water stretch:

Trying to get ashore:

Setup:

Home:
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend