Spider Webs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wvnitroman

Spider Webs

Post by wvnitroman »

A retired special forces officer told me years ago that if you allow your eyes a few minutes to adjust in the dark that you can typically find your way through the woods without the aid of an artificial light, flashlight if you will. Tried it and sure enough I rarely turn on a light in the woods unless I am tracking. The aggravating part of this is that I seem to find every single spider web in the woods and it always seems to be with my face. Does anyone else have this perplexing problem or am I the only one? :lol:
TheBig1

Re: Spider Webs

Post by TheBig1 »

I'm going to start hunting with you and allow you to lead the way. :lol:

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
wvnitroman

Post by wvnitroman »

Try it out Chad, you might be surprised :D
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Yea I hate the webs in my face but the cold weather fixes that up north.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Waif

Post by Waif »

Spring mushroom hunting I hit them big vollyball net ones that almost make me do the limbo!
Always makes me want to know where the owner is too. :lol:
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I don't use a flashlight for myself as much as to let other potential hunters or trespassers know that I'm a human and not a bear or deer.

Years ago when I was out hunting with Kevin/DoeMaster he showed me how he used a little green led light - it doesn't affect your night vision but it still lets any others know you're a human.

I think this a prudent practice for hunting both private land as well as public land because unfortunately you just never know.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

VixChix wrote:I don't use a flashlight for myself as much as to let other potential hunters or trespassers know that I'm a human and not a bear or deer.

Years ago when I was out hunting with Kevin/DoeMaster he showed me how he used a little green led light - it doesn't affect your night vision but it still lets any others know you're a human.

I think this a prudent practice for hunting both private land as well as public land because unfortunately you just never know.
Great advise Vix .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

When I did use the atv to get to and from the woods I would not use any artificial light at all. And peripheral vision is better for "night vision" than your center gaze. I at one time did use a small green bulb pen flashlight like Vix mention for the same reason but I lost it 2 years ago.

webs to the face is maddening. Especially when you find the spider 2 mins later!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I hate spiders so of course I run into them also. I occasionally ride my 4 wheeler on one club I hunt I attached a driveway marker to the front of my 4 wheeler to catch the spider webs as I drive and it works awesome.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

We have these HUGE spiders here in s.e. jawga that love to string their webs between pine trees on big open flats. I usually can see them with my light in the dark but a few years ago i walked face first into one and the resident spider was none to happy! :shock:
I felt it crawling down my neck & i started hollering like a girl yelling at my yankee buddy to get it off me while i'm shucking a $1000.00 dollar gun my climber and my clothes!! :shock: :mrgreen:
He was to busy laughing his a$$ off...needless to say we didn't see anything that morning. :lol: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

VixChix wrote:I don't use a flashlight for myself as much as to let other potential hunters or trespassers know that I'm a human and not a bear or deer.

Best advice I've ever seen ! Don't go through the woods without a light ! VERY VERY DANGEROUS !!!
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have always heard that the green lights don't alarm game, they don't see it or whatever . I have two BRIGHT green lights for me and Colton. I wasn't sure how much faith I Putin the game can't see it theory until Colton Nd I came out for a night sit for pigs a couple of years ago. We walked up to the pop up blind and just for grins I shined the light over to the feeder , big pig standing there munching corn. Never did spook from light, even when it turned and I could see its eye shining in reflection . SOLD on the green lights now. I bought these on eBay, Chinese, look like a Surefire, but sold as Ultrafire. BRIGHT green led. Under ten bucks Tyd. Worth a try in my opinion.
I hate to walk into those big webs with the giant yellow and black spiders. The worst is to see one with spider on it and avoid it, then run into another in just a minute. If you want to see s short fat bald guy dance in the dark.... That would be a good time.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Walking in to the stand without a light on one morning years ago. Kicked a kitty I didn't see that was walking on the same trail. Flicked on my light to make sure I hadn't injured it and found it wasn't the landowner's kitty after all, it was one of the wild ones that are black and have white stripes. No idea why it didn't give me a squirt of perfume, but I'm not pushing my luck. Since then I always have a light on when I walk in the woods at night!
wabi
Tom

Post by Tom »

wabi wrote:Walking in to the stand without a light on one morning years ago. Kicked a kitty I didn't see that was walking on the same trail. Flicked on my light to make sure I hadn't injured it and found it wasn't the landowner's kitty after all, it was one of the wild ones that are black and have white stripes. No idea why it didn't give me a squirt of perfume, but I'm not pushing my luck. Since then I always have a light on when I walk in the woods at night!
wabi, great advice, almost as good as VixChix's. LOL.

Those little kitties, the black ones with white stripes, well they can give out free cover scent which is "GREAT" at covering human scent. Maybe that kitty did not like you enough to give you a free sample, you did kick it LOL.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

What I really like is how one can instantaneously turn from your normal every day hunter to a karate master in a split second :lol:
=http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstric ... e.jpg.html]Image
Last edited by TheBig1 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member