Modified my 380 buttstock

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R4fan

Modified my 380 buttstock

Post by R4fan »

The buttpad area on my 380 is a little slick, and could be rougher to stick to your shoulder better. I've seen the posts on using Plastidip and grit on the buttpad. I haven't tried that, but probably would work the best if you don't want to alter your stock, and is removable. The other plus I see is that you can set your buttpad on the ground, and it won't pick up dirt.

I've seen numerous polymer handguns (Glocks) that were stippled using a wood burning tool, soldering iron, etc. The plastic on the Excalibur stocks seems to have a lower melting point, but the results are similar.

I used a wood burning tool and used the pointy attachment. Most places customize the brass insert, and they sell checkered brass inserts on ebay (about $30) which would probably have worked well too.

Here's my first attempt. Not worried about it being time consuming, but the point was too small and it displaced too much plastic. After I was done, I used a palm sander to tone it down a bit and clean up where it was too ragged. It worked, but I didn't like it.

I used the round/blunt tip attachment and went over everything. Then I used a palm sander to tone down any rough edges. It works great, but will pick up dirt if set directly in it. I may tape everything off and spray paint the end. Overall this pattern works great. I may try the plastidip down the road, but I'm satisfied with this. If you try it, you may want to lessen the heat, and maybe not go as deep. I think the type of plastic used in the stock didn't help, and a true polymer would have been better.

rein1

Re: Modified my 380 buttstock

Post by rein1 »

If your happy with it fine ,,, to me looks a bit of a hack job
R4fan

Post by R4fan »

It looks better in person, the camera flash really emphasizes the dimples, I took the photo inside my blind. This was my first attempt, so it didn't come out as spectacular as I'd liked, and I'm pretty artistic. The plastic of the buttstock is different than the polymer on the handguns. The plastic is soft enough where you can heat it up and flatten it out again.

I also thought about sanding it flat, and adding a section of skateboard tape. No worries though, I can always cover it with plasti-dip if I really want to.

The first attempt came out bad, but I was already committed. They do sell flat inserts that have been checkered, which would probably make a more professional look when completed.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I like the thought of adding a thin strip of skateboard or anti slip tape to perhaps every second or third character section to the rear of the buttstock. That should eliminate slippage using a minimal amount of material.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
R4fan

Post by R4fan »

I bought some grip tape that they use on handguns, but didn't use it because of the ridge in the buttstock. I could have cut small strips, but chose not to. If worse comes to worse, I can sand the buttpad flat and attach a sheet to cover everything. Right now the buttpad isn't that bad, my major complaint is picking up a ton of dirt if I set the bow down on the ground while attaching or removing the quiver.

The stock above wasn't sanded (only the edges) so it looks a little rougher. I wanted to try it out with it being more abrasive before I did anything else to it.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

In the past I have used a very thin film of clear silicone spread on with my finger tip to add "grippiness" to things. You don't even see it unless you look close and in most cases it stays on good but can be removed with a bit of effort. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

R4fan wrote: If worse comes to worse, I can sand the buttpad flat and attach a sheet to cover everything.
I have an Excalibur stock X-tender on my Vortex to increase the length of pull. Not sure if these fit the 380 but it would cover that up if it does fit? :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

they make anti slip clear coats in a spray can. try the depot. i would tape off everything but the rear portion and give it light spray. ive also used clear coat spray paints from a distance giving the finish more of a controlled dusting to add texture.i think it would give enough grip. when stippling is done right it looks awesome.
rkudart

Post by rkudart »

On my 380,I took the thinnest x-tender and added a beretta rubber butt to it. Wood screw them together, cut screws flush going through the x-tender, ready to install. It adds 1.5 in.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I use these on my Matrix stocks to make them more contact friendly and to create a non slip fit.. They go on and off pretty simple..

Link to them on Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I4 ... ge_o00_s00
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger