O/T: Remington 700 triggers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

O/T: Remington 700 triggers

Post by grouse »

Anyone out there using a Remington 700 (especially one that is a few years older) needs to be extremely careful. Mine was supposed to be free of their trigger/safety problems (built in 1999) but it wasn't. A week ago Friday (10/30) a friend and I were doing a quick crossbow hunt on my farm and we decided to check our rifle's zeros (firearms season stats on 11/14 here in Missouri). I have a coupe of shooting berms that an operator created for me when he was at our place leveling some septic mounds, and we set up at 50 yards and loaded our rifles. My friend shot first (a Browning semi-automatic) and then it was my turn. I looked through the scope and released the safety then pulled the trigger. The trigger would not move. I pushed on the safety and pulled the trigger again and the trigger would not move. I set the butt of the rifle on my right thigh (muzzle down range) and touched the safety again and the rifle discharged. We were both in shock! I will take a polygraph that I was in no contact with the trigger when the gun fired.

I took the rifle to a gunsmith on Monday and had a Timney trigger installed. I have been in contact with Remington and they said they would only reimburse me if I put a Remington replacement trigger in the 700. I will have to join in a class action lawsuit if I am to have any chance to recover the $202.00 the new trigger cost me. I'm glad I swapped the triggers no matter what happens for the peace of mind after the spooky incident. The new trigger is a better trigger and I shot a nice 1.5" group @ 50 yds. with it this past Saturday, using only a bipod for a rest.

Be careful if you own a Remington 700!
axiom
350 SE
Pydpiper

Re: O/T: Remington 700 triggers

Post by Pydpiper »

It is very rare I use a safety on a firearm, but this is good to know.
My 700 has a Jewell trigger, but I also think the rifle was built long before the issues came about.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

thanks for the heads up grouse! . . .
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
grouse

Post by grouse »

Pydpiper wrote:It is very rare I use a safety on a firearm, but this is good to know.
My 700 has a Jewell trigger, but I also think the rifle was built long before the issues came about.
I always use the safety on every weapon I own until I am ready to shoot! (No doubt that I am misinterpreting your comment).
axiom
350 SE
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS TAC and the first thing that I did was to install a Timney trigger. My serial # wasn't part of the recall but their factory triggers are crap, especially for target shooting and varmint hunting.
artifact

Post by artifact »

I know of the problem with Remington 700 triggers that is supposed to be a $0.05 fix.
I own a bunch of them, mostly older, and so far have never had that happen.
I also own a few 600 and 660 Remington's, those actually had a recall for the same thing, and I had those triggers replaced for free under the recall.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My son's 700 was part of the recall. Before we sent it in it was a 10. What we got back was a 7. Its an OK trigger now, but it was excellent before we sent it in. We may go the aftermarket route.

I opted to switch to a all weather version of the Ruger American Rifle. It has an excellent trigger as well. With my hand loads at 100 yards I'm shooting the staples that hold the target. :D

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: