The New Scope Arrived

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

The New Scope Arrived

Post by paulaboutform »

So I just received my new Vortex Viper XBR 2.5X - 10X with the illuminated reticle. I'm completely unfamiliar with these scopes but it had so many bells and whistles and it was such an amazing deal I just couldn't pass it up. It has the target turrets and seems it'll be a potential challenge to utilize it fully. If anyone is familiar or has experience with this scope I'd love some feedback. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
retrieverman

Re: The New Scope Arrived

Post by retrieverman »

Interested in seeing how you like it once you get to play with it awhile.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I have an XBR on both my 380 and 405. The turrets are 1/4 MOA per click. This equates to 1/20 of an inch adjustment per click at 20 yards or just over 1mm per click. So if your bow is super consistent you can really fine tune things.

Glass is about as good as it gets (Zeiss Duralyt is probably better - never compared) and with the way illumination is done, the 44mm objective plus the 30mm tube the low light performance is exceptional.

As an example I was out on Sunday afternoon in a steady rain with light to moderate fog under tree cover and was able to hunt until the end of legal light no problem. No other optic I have used would have made it to the end of legal in these conditions.

To set mine up I zeroed at 25 yards with zoom set to 4x. I than shot at 10, 15, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 yards and looking at the bolt in target recorded the MOA reading on the reticle. Printed off a little laminated card with the results. Each time I hunt I check the card before I set up for the anticipated ranges.

Alternatively (this is more accurate) if you have the crossbow in a sled so it can't move after you have it zeroed you can just record the number of clicks required to move the hairs to the POI at different ranges.

If you change the magnification or bolt weight you will have to produce a new chart for that scenario.

As an aside with the 405 it is basically a dead hold for 20-30 yards.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I love mine! No need for an HHA if you like long range shooting as I do. have mine with the crosshair sighted in at 30yds. with power setting between the 4 -5 power an the marks are dead on for 10-50yds. -20-70yds. 30- 90 yds.with the 40 ,50 mark ?
very good glass an can see no difference in it than my leupolds,nikons . never owned a 30 mm tube scope before an this is the best low light scope for hunting I ever had. just big,heavy but I can deal with that for my shooting . I don,t think you will be disappointed as I,m sure not.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

It does sound promising, thanks for the replies fellas. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.