Man, What A Day!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Man, What A Day!

Post by TheBig1 »

Well it started off at 0400 with the wake up. We get showered, dressed, breakfast, and go. Get to the mountain around 0600 or so and it's still raining like it was yesterday. I didn't want me and the boy to get soaked so soon in the morning, I wanted to stay all day. We decide to give it a chance under a hemlock but of course that was worse. The drops were bigger than the rain. Back to the truck after 30 minutes.

We go for a walk after 30 minutes and he didn't even see that he was walking right at a doe. She jumped as if she was jumping out of the way of being run over. I set up in a shooting lane and she stopped. I estimated 40 yards. She was quartering to me at about a 35 degree angle. I placed my cross hair on her and fired. She fired true too. Beautiful hit and pass through. I watched it all unfold through my scope. She didn't even flinch at the sound of the Grizinator going off. She only reacted when the Spynal Tapp passed through her completely. Great blood on the arrow but no blood trail due to rain. We searched for a few hours and some long distances to no avail. I'm crushed, I don't like not recovering an animal. It always bothers me.

One funny part happened today besides being soaked to the bone all day. My son and I relocated our blind to the area where these deer, and I believe all the deer, are moving through the area. Of course we clear the ground of leaves and cut a few small trees to make room for the blind. My son hates spiders and of course we saw a few. Go figure, spiders in the woods. Who would've thought? So we're finally in the blind and all of the sudden my 14 year old son freaks out, smacks his own face, and screams, "THERE WAS A F'ING SPIDER ON MY FACE!" I just stared at him with this blank look after what I just heard. Of course I was wondering where he'd ever heard such language. :shock: So I keep staring at him as he's going on with his story totally unaware of the words of his reaction when I just couldn't hold it any longer and busted out laughing. It was a true A Christmas Story moment.

Good luck tomorrow everyone. I'll be in that blind for the next 3 days trying to score.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
j.krug

Re: Man, What A Day!

Post by j.krug »

Sorry you didn't recover that doe Chad. Good luck hunting the next 3 days. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Chad, your son's reaction to the spider on his face and his outburst turned a crappy day into an excellent ending to a tough day... :wink:

I know it stinks to lose an animal but in reality, it won't waste away, Mother Nature has a way of cleaning up after us.. I hope you have a great next three days. Good luck and hunt safe brother!! :)

"THERE WAS A F'ING SPIDER ON MY FACE!"..... Priceless.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Not sure what to say, other than it does leave a bad feeling to lose one like that. I no longer hunt in the rain with a vertical or crossbow. I don't like taking that chance. Besides, hunting is supposed to be fun and for me, it's no fun in the rain. But that's just me.
Best wishes for better luck next time.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It happens chad i missed a big buck last week. I could have easily wounded. Iook at all the deer that get hit with cars . Nobuddys perfect. Water off a ducks back bud go out n get another one.n learn from it .even though you did no wrong
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks a lot fellas, I appreciate it. It's crappy out again today but hopefully something will present itself with the ideal shot. I just don't understand the lack of any significant blood. It was raining and the ground was wet but it was more of a hard drizzle at the time.

I know several aspects could have happened but I had a similar problem with Muzzy 3 blessed one year where the blood just stopped after 30 yards and I never recovered that deer either. That was the last time I ever used them.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
bubba

Post by bubba »

Smile.. To bad you didn't recover the doe,but i can just imagine being in the blind with you two..And the spider was great. you are a very lucky man to be able to get out in the woods with your son, and share all those special moments.And you know it only get's better, when you can get out with your grand kids, and do and share it all over again. Still... to bad about the doe...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Jesse, it was fun. We worked hard, got soaked to the bone and still stuck it out another 5 hours. I love when he's able to join me, my daughter also but she's 6 and gets bored.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

If you had a complete pass through, the broad head did it's job. I don't know all the facts, however, I have hit many deer over the course of 40 years and know that many things can happen after a deer is hit.

If it is hit in the upper half, there will be some blood initially and then some more eventually as the deer fills up and then bleeds out the entrance or exit holes. After the level of bleeding drops below these holes there will be very little blood other than that aspirating from the nose and mouth from the lungs. This is very difficult to track without snow.

Again, please do not blame the equipment. Deer are incredibly tough and can travel a long way fast after a hit. I have seen deer hit with a 30-06 go a long way.

I try to increase my chances for success with any type of bow by not hunting in the rain. For me, success is not just hitting the deer, but also recovering it.
That's just the way I do it and what I'm comfortable with. Others may want to do it differently, which is their call.

Rain or no rain in your situation, you may have not been able to track the deer. As long as you put in a significant effort to find it, you did all you could do.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks NY. No, I'm not blaming anything in particular. It was simply a perfect storm of varying factors. It was truly an amazing shot that I witnessed through my scope. I certainly thought that I would find her fairly close.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Better hunting for you Chad! I have hunted in all conditions for over 40 plus yrs. Some deer never recovered! That has always been a hard pill to swallow. It's not over till you can bend over and tag the deer. Every tracking job is different and worth the effort. I love the challenge tracking my own deer and helping huntn buddies track as well! :D Deer hunting is one of the greatest sports on the planet! Nuff said 4 now brother enjoy your time in the woods.........
Brian
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "