checked out the matrix 355 keeping the Emax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

checked out the matrix 355 keeping the Emax

Post by hunter with MS »

Decided to drive the 2 hours to check out the Xbow for myself . I got to do what was I needed to short of shooting them I mainly was comparing the weight of the them to what I Shoot now Which is the Exomax . This is just my feeling not to put anyone or the xbows down so please don't take what I am about to say to heart this is just my feeling . The weight difference between the Max and the M355 is not the much stock Max 6.5 matrix 5.4 difference 1.1 with accessories Max 9.6 M355 8.4 difference 1.2 total difference 2.3 not enough to make a big difference length difference is less then 5 inches 4.7 width is Max 36.00 inches M355 30.62 difference of 5.38 inches With this in mind I don't see anything that stands out for spending $900.00 + for 5 feet per second faster . I will keep the Emax . I did do a ton of research on this as person with MS I have to see a big difference which I do not . Remember this is just my feeling
kawaboy-zx11

Re: checked out the matrix 355 keeping the Emax

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

its wasnt about the weight for me, it was about the width and length, my favorite treestand that i kill a buck from every year is in the middle of a group of trees and i couldnt get my main shot that i have killed all those deer from with the full size xbow, i CAN take the shot with the 355. no way in blazes was i gonna move that stand just so i could hunt with an xbow, last year when i discovered my full size xbow wouldnt fit, i just hunted with my mathews like i had so many years before. now i am in my favorite spot with an xbow (355) and am very happy about that.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have to look at the wt as I have MS wt is a concern , I have to do my hunt from the ground using blinds so Length and width are not as much a concern with me . My wt numbers were a little off with accessories it is really 0.8 Difference . I am not saying the Matrix is not a good bow it just don't fit with me . I am on fixed income so I have to really check into things . Someday I may feel different . Everyone is different .
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Did you ever look @ a Micro?

Now that is a true tree stand and blind bow!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

can anyone tell me the width diff. in the matrix 380 and the m355. if any. I have a 380 and love it was thinking on selling and getting a micro 355 the 380 is a little hard to cock with shoulder.
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

gametrail wrote:can anyone tell me the width diff. in the matrix 380 and the m355. if any. I have a 380 and love it was thinking on selling and getting a micro 355 the 380 is a little hard to cock with shoulder.
All the Matrix bows have the same width, 30.6" I think. Micros are 24.5" wide I believe.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

over 1 pound, nearly a foot total in width and length are HUGE to me!! But the most important thing to me is how they hold and shoot offhand, more speed less on the rail time after the trigger is released, means a lot less shooter error,,,, and we wont even talk about how their is no need for ear plugs with the Matrix,,, :wink:

When I test a bow I want to know how it shoots, I ain't buying it to look at! Ya hands down the price difference between the 2 is less than 200 bucks,,, I'll take the Matrix every time. I loved my old Exomax it was a great shooter but the Matrix does even better in the field!

Yep all Matrix bows are the same width, just shorter with less speed, I just bought the 330 and if you want an easy drawing great shooter the 330 shoots every bit as good as my two 380's,,, and has 260 lbs. draw. The 330 I just bought is really sweet too, shoots as good as my 380's but a real joy to draw, @220# draw weight. the 355 is on my short list though,,, matter of fact the 355 is my list,,,, :wink:
Last edited by wildcatter on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

hunter with MS wrote:Decided to drive the 2 hours to check out the Xbow for myself . I got to do what was I needed to short of shooting them I mainly was comparing the weight of the them to what I Shoot now Which is the Exomax . This is just my feeling not to put anyone or the xbows down so please don't take what I am about to say to heart this is just my feeling . The weight difference between the Max and the M355 is not the much stock Max 6.5 matrix 5.4 difference 1.1 with accessories Max 9.6 M355 8.4 difference 1.2 total difference 2.3 not enough to make a big difference length difference is less then 5 inches 4.7 width is Max 36.00 inches M355 30.62 difference of 5.38 inches With this in mind I don't see anything that stands out for spending $900.00 + for 5 feet per second faster . I will keep the Emax . I did do a ton of research on this as person with MS I have to see a big difference which I do not . Remember this is just my feeling
I'm willing to bet if you watch the Pine Mountain Archery auctions on EBay you can get one for way less than $900 right now. I have never watched the M355 but I have seen the Micro335s in BlackOut sell for $650 as of late. M405 in camo have sold for less than $900.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I would advise anyone to steer clear of PMA on ebay. I have heard more complains on them from serious archers over the years, they have been known to sell seconds and nock offs as the real Mccoy and first run??????

They can get away with a lot when their main target buyers are new to the industry!!! Just be careful, I'd call Danny Miller or Wyvern Creations,,, both more than trustworthy,,, and very competitive!
Last edited by wildcatter on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Yes looked at the micro again not much wt difference for me . Again price is the issue $900.00 Plus . They are make them more compact yes but the wt is staying close to the same . Again I am not putting down the Matrix or the Micro both are great bows for some . As the clerk Stated I have one of the top xbows Excal makes or made why do I need that one ? There was no pressure to sell me one not that I would have bought one there . Just got a little info on them . The clerk owns a 355 for about a year so he was telling me from and owners point of view not a salesmen point of view . Believe me If there was a big enough difference I would be figuring out how to buy one .
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

With a Disease like Multiple Sclerosis Wt. is the big issue the Disease has and is damaging my nerve fibers It has legs and so far one arm . As In strength I can not hold the bow up free hand for long I drop my arm with forward weight of more then say a few pounds and I sure won't be walking to far . I have to use a stand like the Caldwell deadshot Fieldpod so again for me it would not make sense to buy the bow . I hope some day they will make one a lot lighter or I get some mobility back .
Waif

Post by Waif »

Hey, you looked anyway, and now won't be wondering.
Lookin is fun sometimes...

Should you look further in time..I looked at a members newest bow.
Compact and less awkward than many older styles and gets the job done.
Cub with matrix string..

http://excaliburcrossbow.org/phpBB2/vie ... c1f1b6ac9a
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

hunter w/ms. you have got to do whatever, is best for you , you are the one that has got to deal WITH YOUR DECISION. good luck to ya man. :) Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

hunter with MS wrote:With a Disease like Multiple Sclerosis Wt. is the big issue the Disease has and is damaging my nerve fibers It has legs and so far one arm . As In strength I can not hold the bow up free hand for long I drop my arm with forward weight of more then say a few pounds and I sure won't be walking to far . I have to use a stand like the Caldwell deadshot Fieldpod so again for me it would not make sense to buy the bow . I hope some day they will make one a lot lighter or I get some mobility back .
Not saying there is anything wrong with an Exomax, and you sure wont see any noticeable difference in performance. In some cases, the 225# draw of the Exo is better than the 240# draw of the Matrix for the same performance. Like I said the Exomax was a great bow, and mine even survived thru 2 drifire DA attacks on my part,,,, don't know if the 355 could say that. Like was said,,, it has to work for you and that is all that should matter!!! That Exomax I am sure will outlive us!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
Dale

Post by Dale »

I here ya. I have an Exomax. Great bow. I was looking at switching for a Matrix 355 or the Micro 335. Where I hunt from, the size of the bow is no real issue. I use 2219 aluminum arrows with the 150 grain bolt cutters my speed is reduced to just over 300 fps. But three shots, three pass through, and three dead deer.I even was able to recock the Exomax in the tree stand (it was a bitch) as I am only 5'6". It does carry lots of energy.
Now having said all that, I have fired my friends Matrix 380 and his Micro 335. True, they are not much lighter, but by being shorter they are easier to hold freehand longer for sure. I believe that would contribute to slightly better accuracy as well. Just my thoughts, but I am fairly new to this cross bow thing.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters