My Strirup screws are very very tight. Is there a problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: My Strirup screws are very very tight. Is there a proble

Post by flightattendant100 »

darwal44 wrote:Does somebody knows if the threads in the hole of the screw can get bent or they just break stripping the screw?
If you are really afraid it's too tight, run a tap in it. I may be wrong but I think 1/4-20 tap.
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Simple solution...apply loctite, hand tighten screw, done. No reason to gorilla tighten the screws. Maybe take your crossbow to someone is you cannot install and tighten screws...
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

What is a tap?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Last visited: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:02 pm
Total posts: 169
[0.03% of all posts / 0.05 posts per day]
Search user’s posts
Most active forum: Crossbow Hunting
[ 169 Posts / 100.00% of user’s posts ]
Most active topic: I can't reach the trigger
[ 23 Posts / 13.61% of user’s posts ]

Contact Profile
E-mail address: E-mail
PM: Send private message
MSNM/WLM:
YIM:
AIM:
Groups: Registered users
Interests: Philosophy, reading, hunting
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

paulaboutform wrote:
darwal44 wrote:I wonder: If the stirup screws are about to get stripped, but they aren´t yet, it would be dangerous to try to cock the crossbow?
If you're concerned about the stirrup, put the butt of the crossbow on the ground, stand over the bow, grab the string with one hand on either side of the rail, and push down until it engages. This way you'll be sure to preserve the stirrup and keep it safe. :roll: .......Have you considered Ten Point Crossbows? They're much more suitable for you and Crossbow Nation and Archery Talk would be much more helpful. :?
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

ehntr wrote:Thumbs down to the attitude of most posters on this this thread:

some of us don't need to go another 8 pages to realize its a joke. But go ahead, play along if u wish
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

It is not a joke. I am afraid the stirup break off while I am cocking the crossbow. That could end in serious injuries for me. And all I asked is if the threads in the screw hole could get bent or they just break when you overtight.
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

darwal44 wrote:It is not a joke. I am afraid the stirup break off while I am cocking the crossbow. That could end in serious injuries for me. And all I asked is if the threads in the screw hole could get bent or they just break when you overtight.
This wasn't a concern in your last post. You know I can't reach my trigger I do believe u stated u cocked many many time. But as they say some grow up an mature an some hang off the titt
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
davesonic444

Post by davesonic444 »

If you tighten them too much the aluminum will strip and instead of getting tighter the bolt will turn easier. Then you will need assistance in getting it tapped out.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Two things can happen if you over tighten.
One you can strip the threads, which means to pull the aluminum threads out of the hole.
The other thing that can happen is that the bolt can become "stretched". Stretched is a common incorrect term. The correct term is permanent elongated or permanentemente alargada. If you do that to the bolt, it will no longer hold the stirrup.
If you used the Allen keys that came with your bow and used your hands only then you will be ok.
Dennis, please do not take this as an insult but I get the feeling that my posts are invisible to you.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

Darwall, part is that they are relatively basic questions and part is probably a language/translation issue. So, folks start thinking it's a troll and respond with sarcasm.

Back to your question: Any screw can be overtightened and usually you won't know till it fails - strips the threads or it breaks out. Though not the designer, I suspect that the screws are actually not under that much stress as far as pullout is concerned and the two screws are probably more than strong enough in shear (perpendicular to screw body). So really, as long as they are reasonably snug, they'll work fine. Your concern of them releasing and letting the bow smack you is more a function of them possibly vibrating or otherwise working themselves out. That's why some folks have suggested locktite.
Normous

Post by Normous »

darwal44 wrote:It is not a joke. I am afraid the stirup break off while I am cocking the crossbow. That could end in serious injuries for me. And all I asked is if the threads in the screw hole could get bent or they just break when you overtight.
Think about this, there are two 1/4" x 3/4" screws holding the stirrup to the mainframe and each has a sizable button head to SECURELY fasten the stirrup to the mainframe.

Excalibur has excessively tested the holding force required to secure the stirrup to the mainframe and the two 1/4" x 3/4" button head have exceeded 20 times the holding force required.

It is nearly impossible for BOTH button head screws to fail at the same time and injure the person cocking the crossbow

Lastly, the threads will not bend or break if you overtighten the screws using the supplied Allen wrenches from Excalibur using your fingers only to tighten.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Thank you boo. On saturday I made several shots and nothing wrong happened. I think the screws are very very tight and not stripped. So there must be no problem.

Thank you everyone for your advices. :)
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

amythntr wrote:
darwal44 wrote:I wonder: If the stirup screws are about to get stripped, but they aren´t yet, it would be dangerous to try to cock the crossbow?

....How does one tell screws are about to be stripped unless they are actually stripped...Just keep hunting and don't think about it!

Anthony :)
X2 to this !!!!
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Boo wrote:Two things can happen if you over tighten.
One you can strip the threads, which means to pull the aluminum threads out of the hole.
The other thing that can happen is that the bolt can become "stretched". Stretched is a common incorrect term. The correct term is permanent elongated or permanentemente alargada. If you do that to the bolt, it will no longer hold the stirrup.
If you used the Allen keys that came with your bow and used your hands only then you will be ok.
Dennis, please do not take this as an insult but I get the feeling that my posts are invisible to you.
Really good advice given by Don....