My Strirup screws are very very tight. Is there a problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

darwal44

My Strirup screws are very very tight. Is there a problem?

Post by darwal44 »

Hi. I can imagine what would happen if the strirup comes out while you are cocking your crossbow. For that reason I used gloves and all my force to tight the strirup screws up. Now my screws are very very tight. Could be a problem with that? Have someone done the same thing?
bubba

Re: My Strirup screws are very very tight. Is there a proble

Post by bubba »

There is only so tight.. Here we go again...
Last edited by bubba on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

If they are as tight as you say, and you didn't break them...They should be fine.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I guess you'll find out how tight they are when you start pulling thread ,,,
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

.....and the beat goes on.. hopefully this one will not make it pass a page.

With posts of this nature, it's no wonder I don't feel the urge to visit lately.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

If they are good and tight and you didn't strip the threads out of the hole then you're good to go. I wouldn't try this again though for fear of stripping the threads in the aluminum. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

I wonder: If the stirup screws are about to get stripped, but they aren´t yet, it would be dangerous to try to cock the crossbow?
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

darwal44 wrote:I wonder: If the stirup screws are about to get stripped, but they aren´t yet, it would be dangerous to try to cock the crossbow?

....How does one tell screws are about to be stripped unless they are actually stripped...Just keep hunting and don't think about it!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Good advice.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

darwal44 wrote:I wonder: If the stirup screws are about to get stripped, but they aren´t yet, it would be dangerous to try to cock the crossbow?
If you're concerned about the stirrup, put the butt of the crossbow on the ground, stand over the bow, grab the string with one hand on either side of the rail, and push down until it engages. This way you'll be sure to preserve the stirrup and keep it safe. :roll: .......Have you considered Ten Point Crossbows? They're much more suitable for you and Crossbow Nation and Archery Talk would be much more helpful. :?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

j.krug wrote:If they are good and tight and you didn't strip the threads out of the hole then you're good to go. I wouldn't try this again though for fear of stripping the threads in the aluminum. :)
Jim, how about stretched bolts? Any idea how much torque it takes to get significant creep out of one of those bolts?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If you feel the need to use protection when you are screwing, use protection. When you are dealing with unfamiliar equipment, using protection is advisable in fact.

Wearing gloves is not a practical way of dealing with your concern, however. Any force that is to be applied should be firm, yet gentle. Gloves impair your ability to judge the amount of force that you are applying. If there is any lubricant present, even a modest amount of force may be excessive, and if damage occurs, you will regret it. If there is damage, you won't get to screw that way again.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:If you feel the need to use protection when you are screwing, use protection. When you are dealing with unfamiliar equipment, using protection is advisable in fact.

Wearing gloves is not a practical way of dealing with your concern, however. Any force that is to be applied should be firm, yet gentle. Gloves impair your ability to judge the amount of force that you are applying. If there is any lubricant present, even a modest amount of force may be excessive, and if damage occurs, you will regret it. If there is damage, you won't get to screw that way again.
Last edited by Boo on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Don

The image you tried to post didn't work.

Was it some kind of crossbow p-o-r-n?

(Auto edit changed word from original spelling to "spam".
Last edited by Hi5 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bubba

Post by bubba »

paulaboutform wrote:
If you're concerned about the stirrup, put the butt of the crossbow on the ground, stand over the bow, grab the string with one hand on either side of the rail, and push down until it engages. This way you'll be sure to preserve the stirrup and keep it safe. :roll: .......Have you considered Ten Point Crossbows? They're much more suitable for you and Crossbow Nation and Archery Talk would be much more helpful. :?
Yeh....Paul my man!! Tell it like it is..A ten point or barnett is definitely what you need..Love it...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)