Backup Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pbearmawno

Backup Crossbow

Post by pbearmawno »

I have an Excalibur Equinox which has been a great bow. I'm looking for a backup bow which shoots the same bolts and has the same string. Would an axiom fit the bill or another crossbow. I deer hunt and have hunted moose with my crossbow but have never pulled the trigger on one. Let me know what you think.
longbow joe

Re: Backup Crossbow

Post by longbow joe »

Grizzly ...second a little more money a matrix 330 or a 350 all very bulletproof .reliable is good no one likes fiberglass cracking sounds except a bodyshop .lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The The Grizzly and a couple lower draw weight matrix bows were suggested...They are all great bows but take a shorter string and while they can shoot your longer 20" arrows, I feel they do their best with shorter ones in the 16 /2 - 18" range..

I have a 355 matrix and love it but I have also owned an Axiom which you mentioned as a possible candidate..... In my opinion, it would be a great choice :wink:
Mine was so smooth and accurate and rated at 305 fps, it will still provided plenty of power and speed to get the job done.... Your strings will be interchangable and arrows will work well in both bows..........a win win. :wink:

When all is said and done, the Axiom is the nicest shooting Excal I have owned. However, I did sell it recently to help afford a micro while Cabelas was running a special package deal on them.. The micro is sweet but definately does not "draw" anywhere as nice as the Axiom... Should finances ever allow :roll: I would have no qualms at all about getting another Axiom. :D It being the best daily shooter I have found.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you like the longer model, I would get a Vortex as the back up, everything would be universal between the two.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used to have several back up bows ;).

I am down to one bow now (Micro).

Now I just carry spare parts (Limbs,strings,trigger,scope and fasteners). Just in case I have an issue. I can be back up and running in minutes....

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

xcaliber wrote:If you like the longer model, I would get a Vortex as the back up, everything would be universal between the two.
This would be my advice as well. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

Axiom would be fine, but the Ibex would give you the thumbhole stock you're familiar with.
wabi
galamb

Post by galamb »

Likewise I would be a fan of the IBEX given your "wants".

And as far a pulling the trigger on a Moose, I wouldn't hesitate with my Vix II (which Excal doesn't recommend for moose).

My one and only archery moose was taken with my vertical recurve (64"/51 lb @ 30" draw) making a "whopping" 24 lbs of KE, so my Vix, impacting with with a little more double the energy is "enough" if you take a smart shot.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
pbearmawno

Post by pbearmawno »

I was somewhat interested in an axiom bow from Canadian Tire. It is still retailing for $599. After speaking to a fellow at a bow shop that Sells Excalibur, He recommended and Ibex, the vortex or the vixen. He only had the vixen in stock however. Apparently there are some components on the axiom that or not As strong as the components on a higher end Excalibur, although I am not sure which components are plastic versus metal. I am probably going to hold off until next summer and maybe find a used crossbow as a back up. Thanks for your responses.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

My back up is the only one I own - a Vortex. I'd like to find a lower draw weight bow eventually. You can't beat a Vortex.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Vortex is a great bow, one of the best.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone