Rechargeable Hand Warmers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Rechargeable Hand Warmers

Post by ko4nrbs »

Anyone use battery operated Rechargeable Hand Warmers? I don't like the kind you fill with fuel. The smell, etc. get's to me.
Here is an example.
http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-5600 ... e=UTF8#Ask

I'd like to have something to take up in my Climbing Treestand on those really frosty mornings.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
TheBig1

Re: Rechargeable Hand Warmers

Post by TheBig1 »

I was just looking at this stuff today online and interested in others opinions about this.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I am a big fan of the rechargeable hand warmers that you snap to get the chemical reaction started, you recharge them in boiling water. They will last about an hour or two. Nothing to light and no smell to them.

http://www.hotsnapz.com/
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

shafferm wrote:I am a big fan of the rechargeable hand warmers that you snap to get the chemical reaction started, you recharge them in boiling water. They will last about an hour or two. Nothing to light and no smell to them.

http://www.hotsnapz.com/
Thank you for the link. I was unaware of them. They would be quiet and have no smell but don't last long enough for me. I would have to carry a lot of them up the tree in order to stay warm all day. I need something that will last all day while I am in the Climbing Deer Stand expose to the cold and wind. Getting way to old to sit up there freezing even with good coveralls, underwear and socks.

These would be great for short hunts or waiting for the car to warm up in the morning. I wish I knew about these when I lived in Wyoming!!
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

TheBig1 wrote:I was just looking at this stuff today online and interested in others opinions about this.

Chad
Here is what I have found:

Rechargeable by boiling them. Don't last very long so you would have to carry a lot of them. Not cheap.
http://hotsnapz.com/

Battery Operated Ones: Look to be the best option if they were not so expensive. If charged and discharged properly they would last a long time. I like them a lot.
Lot's of them out there. Read reviews on Amazon.
Rechargeable at home or with a portable power pack. Expensive, Quiet, no smell, clean, doesn't need O2 to produce heat, and get pretty warm.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1& ... chargeable

Zippo: I like these for a tree stand. I think that if you are up high the slight smell shouldn't be an issue. If they can smell it they are smelling you to. If filled properly there is no mess.
Has a slight smell to them, last a long time, may be hard to fill, uses lighter fluid, get's pretty hot, and easy to use. Inexpensive.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... and+warmer

Hot Hands: Not rechargeable. Have to be thrown away.
I have been using these. They work ok for my hands because I can work them in my gloves. They don't work in my boots. Work ok in my coveralls if I work them from time to time. If you use a lot of them they can get expensive. Last years supply don't work very well. Best used the season you buy them.
http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-War ... =hot+hands

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks for the info Bill, I appreciate it. I actually just started looking at these on Amazon when you posted this thread so I was very interested also.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Zippo now makes an electric option to the fuel handwarmers.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I use the Zippo hand warmer and like it very much. It lasts for hours on a single fill and does a great job of keeping my hands warm. I like to hunt with light gloves so I keep the Zippo inside one of those hand warmer muff thingies and put my hands inside it. Keeps 'em toasty warm. On bitter cold days I will place one inside my coat in the inner chest pocket and it will warm me up to the point that I need to crack the zipper a little now and then to cool off. They are very reliable and I've never had any problems with them going out while in use. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pydpiper wrote:Zippo now makes an electric option to the fuel handwarmers.
I didn't know that. Gonna have to check them out. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Prices are all over the place but consider these as well http://www.cabelas.com/product/ThermaCE ... 085378.uts
Last edited by Boo on Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I'm going to give this one a try. I really like the On/Off switch and the Low/High setting. No fuel to mess with, quiet, no air needed to generate heat and no smell. Can put them in my coveralls and hand muffs.
http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-prov ... op?ie=UTF8

I'll only use them up on my tree stand. I'll use the propane heater in the Ground Blind.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I find the Zippo ones smell, Thermacell ones are Expensive,though I know Vix chick uses them and likes em, myself I use the chemical ones you activate by shaking, they last hours and if you buy them by the pack they are expensive, but I buy them at Costco, you get a big box of them for $12, lasts me all year.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
kamont

Post by kamont »

I'm not a fan of battery operated heaters. I use the Zippos and have a couple of Reusable Chemical Heating Pads work good for me. Heres a link if your interested
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/sur ... g-pad.html
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Thanks for the link!!

How long have you been using them? How warm do they get?
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

I have the ThermaCell rechargable heated insoles (www.thermacell.com part #THS01-L) and they have a high (111 degrees F.) and Medium (100 degrees F.) with an external remote to switch between them (on/off switch on insoles). Supposed to last 5 hrs. on Medium heat. Still on the fence about them. Know they aren't handwarmers but my feet freeze up right away. Times I used them my feet weren't hot but took the nip off so was able to withstand the cold (info. says they won't get hot like other handwarmers/feetwarmers but just warmth).
Downside is the cost, about $140.00 for this pair and they offer a higher priced one too. Can't locate the info. but thought it said they lasted for 500 recharges which was approx. 5 years worth of use.