Opening morning airgun doe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaveShooter

Re: Opening morning airgun doe

Post by DaveShooter »

Congrats on an awesome harvest- I used to shoot a 50 cal Dragon Slayer Big bore airgun. If you get a chance check out the American Airgun Hunter Jim Chapmans web-sight. The use of big bore air guns go way back in History. Again Congrats to ya....
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Excellent!!!!!!!!

I googled your gun and came up with the specs.........impressive!

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Dragon_Cl ... Rifle/2499
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Wow!--just learned something-- I had no clue -- never had heard about these --
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

That's just too cool!!!
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

wabi wrote:Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I'd want to try to get one to 2,900 psi with a hand pump. My Discovery .22 is bad enough at 2,000 psi. How many shots can you get on one fill?

BTW - I noticed a .50 smoothbore (with interchangable chokes) in the last Pyramid Air catalog I got. Not sure how it would shoot round balls, but it would be fun for small game with shot.
Three full power and a follow up/finisher . can also shoot on low power setting and get about 5 shots . would be plenty for wood chucks -coyote on low . Yeah filling it is not fun . I will be buying a tank when I can.

the air shotgun dose decently with bullets to 40 yards from the review or two i've seen .
DuckHunt wrote:I've been trying to seal the deal with on my first pistol kill but haven't had the perfect opportunity. Now an air rifle kill would take it to a new level. Congrats on the kill. What type of speed do you get out of a .50 round ball out of that thing? I know that much lead can pack a wallop.

DuckHunt
should be around 720fps and 215 or so fpe with 188 grain round ball .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
NFH

Post by NFH »

Very cool!
What is the furthest distance you would feel comfortable shooting at a deer and still have the ke to kill? What about target shooting, furthest distance you can get good groups?
I've been messing with pcp airguns the last few years but no big bores yet. It sure is fun squirrel or starling hunting with a multi shot airgun. It brings me back to my earliest days of hunting with my 10 pump Daisy and I imagine the havoc I would have caused with a pellet rifle like I have now. There wouldn't have been a bird, squirrel or otherwise within a 10 MI radius. :lol:
Someday I think I'll need to try out a big bore on deer.
Great job on the airgun doe!
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

NFH wrote:Very cool!
What is the furthest distance you would feel comfortable shooting at a deer and still have the ke to kill? What about target shooting, furthest distance you can get good groups?
I've been messing with pcp airguns the last few years but no big bores yet. It sure is fun squirrel or starling hunting with a multi shot airgun. It brings me back to my earliest days of hunting with my 10 pump Daisy and I imagine the havoc I would have caused with a pellet rifle like I have now. There wouldn't have been a bird, squirrel or otherwise within a 10 MI radius. :lol:
Someday I think I'll need to try out a big bore on deer.
Great job on the airgun doe!
For deer 50-55yards would be max . Trajectory drops pretty bad past 50 yards . Only did target shooting out to 50 . Can put three shots in a clover leaf at 50 yards but its hard with the heavy lawyer trigger . worst i did at 50 was about3" ctc . 50 yards is all i need for deer , woods are to thick to shoot much farther . And the .50 makes a bigger hole :mrgreen:

You can get some more range out of the .45 for deer with a lighter bullet , they shoot flatter . the .357 is bad news for coyotes out to 100+ . some use the .357 for deer as well but personally I would not unless it was modified .

group shot at 25 yards during scope sight in .
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations! I've looked into air guns in the past. They can do some impressive stuff.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Very cool, this is the first post in any forum I've seen on someone taking a deer with an air gun, here we can only hunt small game with one. Been thinking of getting one to add to my arsenal but dam they are pricey.

I just googled up your Sam young rifle, dam, I like it, though here in Canada I bet it's a $1000 rifle, gonna have to start snooping around on prices, I think I need one of these for dog hunting.

What kind of pelt damage do you get??? Can the pressure be lowered for small game and bumped up for big game?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

Bullzeye wrote:Very cool, this is the first post in any forum I've seen on someone taking a deer with an air gun, here we can only hunt small game with one. Been thinking of getting one to add to my arsenal but dam they are pricey.

I just googled up your Sam young rifle, dam, I like it, though here in Canada I bet it's a $1000 rifle, gonna have to start snooping around on prices, I think I need one of these for dog hunting.

What kind of pelt damage do you get??? Can the pressure be lowered for small game and bumped up for big game?
There are 2 power settings .first cocked position is low power ,all the way back is high . For coyote(hope that's what ya mean by dog) I'd think the sam yang recluse .357 would be a better choice . Much flatter shooting .
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Ok great, thanks, and yes I meant coyote lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Hester0305