One of those hunting seasons

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rein1

One of those hunting seasons

Post by rein1 »

I've had my share of bad luck this hunting season not seeing many deer and other problems .. so today was Michigan firearm season opener so after church I heading to the woods hunting with my smoking pole ...Going on to a 5 hr set and right before dark here comes a nice 10- or 12 point buck walking 40 yds from me broadside... So I thought alright another mount for the wall, I squeezed the trigger and got a loud pop and no boom.. My cap went off but my powder didn't do anything ,, The buck looked at me and happily ran off ,, I think the buck said dum as// when he looked at me ... Lol That's what hunting about ..
vixenmaster

Re: One of those hunting seasons

Post by vixenmaster »

Sorry to hear of the of this, ML's always need some sure things to help them fire. I like hot percussion caps, or musket caps
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Oh man! You've had a season like I did in archery.

Here's one. Yesterday was the last day of our early archery season. I had my deer target out as a decoy. So at dark before cleaning up I decided that I was going to shoot Mt target for fun to discharge my arrow. So I line up for the shot at 25 yards and let it go. I watched it come off of my rail and just squirrel to the right. Right into a tree. Unbelievable I thought. Here I sat with that arrow ready to kill all day and for some reason I caught a flier. Of course I lost a Slick Trick and the 110gr brass insert.

It was an unsurprising end to my week of vacation for the rut. I feel your pain.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
rein1

Post by rein1 »

vixenmaster wrote:Sorry to hear of the of this, ML's always need some sure things to help them fire. I like hot percussion caps, or musket caps
I was going to take my father inlaws old 30.30 for the fun of it , The buck continued across a small picked corn field right in front of another hunter ., yes this hunter got this buck ,I went over to check the buck out it was big buck a nice 12 point .. I just told the Hunter congrats he smiled and said Thanks
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Sometimes it's just not meant to be!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

congrats....you saw one :!: I logged 7 1/2 hours on stand today and never saw a darn thing. getting to be a pretty usual occurance in my area.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
typical10

Post by typical10 »

Stick with it, persistence will pay off, jeff~
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Deaf jeff wrote:congrats....you saw one :!: I logged 7 1/2 hours on stand today and never saw a darn thing. getting to be a pretty usual occurance in my area.
I've done that four times now at the lake!! I feel your pain.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

typical10 wrote:Stick with it, persistence will pay off, jeff~
I sure hope so!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I hate to here that sound for sure with the ole smoke poles. Hang in there and don't give up... That reminds me yrs ago hunting during the Ohio Deer Gun season a buddy was using his 50 cal Hawken drew the bead on a fine buck and all he heard was what you heard with a delay in the rifle firing. He was shooting a flint lock either. Came back to the camper and took out his Rem 1100-12-ga and shot 2 deer one for Him and me. I gladly let him tag one of those deers with my deer tag as it was cold as all get out that year.... :D
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I was lucky enough to had parents that taught us never to quit, My Dad is 85 yrs old and still enjoys the outdoors and hunting . Hunting is a lot more then bagging a animal , It's about traditions and fellowship with our family and our friends ..

Maybe tomorrow my matrix 405 will get the call of duty ,, be
safe
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

And then there's the time - yesterday to be exact :? - when I had a young buck in my sights, debated whether I should let him grow some more points and then said 'what the heck, I hunt for meat not horns'. I pulled the trigger and he stepped out of my sight window into some thick stuff.

Forgot to take the safety off.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

When I'm taking the smokepole out, I also use the "finger condoms" that you can buy at the pharmacy.....you buy them to cover gauze on a finger to keep it dry....works well on the end of the muzzle as well.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Reinyrooster wrote:When I'm taking the smokepole out, I also use the "finger condoms" that you can buy at the pharmacy.....you buy them to cover gauze on a finger to keep it dry....works well on the end of the muzzle as well.
That's a great idea,, Thanks ,, I have a feeling my powder might have been wet or damp , I notice the powder in my flask was clumpy a little bit .I messed up and should have check it out better ..
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

That's not bad....last year sitting in a tree...had a nice fat doe in my crosshairs of the smokepole......pulled the trigger and just got al little fart instead of a big bang.......bairly enough to push the bullet out the end of the barrel.....realized that I had been too distracted watched the boob tube while measuring my powder the night before and only used about half of what I should have had!! Won't do that again!