New Honey Hole...Thanks To My Honey!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

New Honey Hole...Thanks To My Honey!!!

Post by drkeenan »

I wrote earlier this season that 4 hunters had gotten permission to hunt my honey hole. Seeing how bummed I was my wife asked how she could help. I said (joking) you can march down the street and get me permission to hunt the 10 acres across the street from first honey hole. And that's exactly what she did. ( I typically only ask permission to hunt a property after meeting someone a couple of times. Knocking on strangers doors is out of my comfort zone. ) She came back an hour later with a big smile and permission to start hunting immediately. (I know, she's a keeper)

I'd been brooding about this land for years because an anti hunter neighbor feeds the deer year round which makes for easy patterning from the adjoining property, especially late season. The tracks in the snow seen from the street look like a pack of elephants go by daily.

Well fast forward 3 weeks I've been in there 8 times, had deer encounters on 6, and harvested 2 does. If I was a gun hunter or more comfortable shooting outside 30 yds with my M330, I could have taken another doe and 2 small bucks!!
And the really good news is none of the deer were heading to or coming from the neighbor who feeds them, which makes me excited for late season when the snows starts and the mast is depleated!!

Turns out my neighbor hates how the deer destroy his shrubs and is thrilled to have me on his property. And since then, another friendly neighbor spotted me, introduced himself and said I can infringe into his adjoining 6 acres.

All this because my girl had the stones to ask when I didn't! Lesson learned!! In the future I'll be more apt to ask a stranger if the property looks interesting. Or maybe I'll just act sad and have my girl do it instead!!!!!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
TheBig1

Re: New Honey Hole...Thanks To My Honey!!!

Post by TheBig1 »

That's great news Doc! Congrats on your success and yes, she most certainly is a keeper.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

drkeenan wrote:I wrote earlier this season that 4 hunters had gotten permission to hunt my honey hole. Seeing how bummed I was my wife asked how she could help. I said (joking) you can march down the street and get me permission to hunt the 10 acres across the street from first honey hole. And that's exactly what she did. ( I typically only ask permission to hunt a property after meeting someone a couple of times. Knocking on strangers doors is out of my comfort zone. ) She came back an hour later with a big smile and permission to start hunting immediately. (I know, she's a keeper)

I'd been brooding about this land for years because an anti hunter neighbor feeds the deer year round which makes for easy patterning from the adjoining property, especially late season. The tracks in the snow seen from the street look like a pack of elephants go by daily.

Well fast forward 3 weeks I've been in there 8 times, had deer encounters on 6, and harvested 2 does. If I was a gun hunter or more comfortable shooting outside 30 yds with my M330, I could have taken another doe and 2 small bucks!!
And the really good news is none of the deer were heading to or coming from the neighbor who feeds them, which makes me excited for late season when the snows starts and the mast is depleated!!

Turns out my neighbor hates how the deer destroy his shrubs and is thrilled to have me on his property. And since then, another friendly neighbor spotted me, introduced himself and said I can infringe into his adjoining 6 acres.

All this because my girl had the stones to ask when I didn't! Lesson learned!! In the future I'll be more apt to ask a stranger if the property looks interesting. Or maybe I'll just act sad and have my girl do it instead!!!!!!
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together- Awesome news my friend. :D
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Glad you're back in the game.... :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats a great story. Im pretty sure my wife would do that for me too. Not only to be kind . But my brooding n hangin in the house wouldnt last to long. She would find a spot for me just to get rid of me .lol enjoy your new spot.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

LOL, to funny, Great wife you have there. You could start a bowhunter Dear Abby show me the deer business. You could hunt more and she could bring in the bacon. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good for you sir. Best of luck hunting.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Great, does she work on contact? :lol:
Congratulations on both!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Now that's some great news . And a good story, you for sure got a keeper in that one. Smile..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
john g

Post by john g »

Good for you! I have hunch she likes that deer meat too.

Garry
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

She definitely sounds like a keeper!! The fact that she's much prettier then you might have something to do with her success!! LOL!!
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Reinyrooster wrote:She definitely sounds like a keeper!! The fact that she's much prettier then you might have something to do with her success!! LOL!!
LOL. Have you not seen my avatar? No one.......and I mean NO ONE is prettier than me!!!!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats great deal
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Good to hear you got a new place to hunt. Sounds like a good spot too. Excellent!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
maple

Post by maple »

Treat her real special. She is.

Congrats in all respects.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Take her out for a nice dinner!