Thermal Cameras For Tracking ?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Thermal Cameras For Tracking ?????

Post by paulaboutform »

I've read a few posts recently about the unfortunate....shots gone awry and searching for deer. Well, in talking to my electrician recently, he was telling me that he uses a thermal imaging camera on a lot of his jobs. He said they're so sensitive that if you were to run your hand along a wall that you could shoot it with the camera an hour later and see where you touched it. I inquired about using it in the woods and he seemed to think it'd work great. The down side is they're very expensive. I'm just curious if anyone has brought one of these gizmos into the woods. Seems it'd be a great way to track and find a wounded or downed animal.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
agingcrossbower

Re: Thermal Cameras For Tracking ?????

Post by agingcrossbower »

I bet it is expensive. What is it with you Paul, first lazers now this. :D Your always aiming high. :lol: With all the coons and critters in the woods I wonder how well it would work. Great idea for sure. Makes me wonder what you will come up with next.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

agingcrossbower wrote:I bet it is expensive. What is it with you Paul, first lazers now this. :D Your always aiming high. :lol: With all the coons and critters in the woods I wonder how well it would work. Great idea for sure. Makes me wonder what you will come up with next.

How about a Drone with a thermal imaging camera on board.

Or

Seek XR Compact
Smart Phone ( Android or Apple ) Add on

http://www.amazon.com/Seek-Thermal-Comp ... B00SSZ5KQI

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00XC774BG ... ref=plSrch

http://www.thermal.com/common-uses/

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7080/s ... index.html
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

agingcrossbower wrote:I bet it is expensive. What is it with you Paul, first lazers now this. :D Your always aiming high. :lol: With all the coons and critters in the woods I wonder how well it would work. Great idea for sure. Makes me wonder what you will come up with next.
Hmmmm, I see what you mean Mike. :mrgreen: ......this is what happens when you're working 85+ hours a week, you don't have any time to hunt but you have time to think of ways to spend money on new toys for hunting......should you ever have time again. :mrgreen:
You really should check out the laser thing though, it's really quite amazing, and what a lot of fun. I can't wait to bring it to Boofest! :wink:

Paul
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

colouredchameleon wrote:

Okay, that's over the top even for me. :mrgreen:
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Going to have to rename you the Geekmister or Mr, Gadget. :D
Waif

Post by Waif »

I'd go with a tracking dog before a gadget.
However they make units for hunting..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... gQodEo8FWw
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I doubt there will be enough residual heat left from the deer to follow it for tracking after being shot..

I
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

paulaboutform wrote:
colouredchameleon wrote:

Okay, that's over the top even for me. :mrgreen:
How about the

"Seek Thermal XR Extended Range Thermal Imager, "

cc
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Waif wrote:I'd go with a tracking dog before a gadget.
However they make units for hunting..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... gQodEo8FWw
Thanks Waif, as I suspected, seems like a great idea but the two to three grand price tag doesn't seem like nearly as good an idea. :wink:

Paul
rein1

Post by rein1 »

There is a company called Seek Thermal
that sells thermal imaging for around $200.00 one unit uses your IPhone If interested pm me I can get them wholesale
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I am red-green color blind and it makes tracking a real pita. If the deer does not fall within site I have to have a fountain to follow or most likely, I have to use my instincts and guess where it fell. I found 3 deer this year (between myself and friends) this way but for the one you loose it really hurts. ANYWAYS, I have thought about using one of these and I think there is one geared towards automotive use that isn't the 3-4 grand. Im going to look further into it.

lets say, even if its only $1500 its still a fair chunk of change to put into a device that may or may not work for my intended purpose.

I was aware of the iPhone one but I didn't think it had great reviews :?:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

one shot scott wrote:I am red-green color blind and it makes tracking a real pita. If the deer does not fall within site I have to have a fountain to follow or most likely, I have to use my instincts and guess where it fell. I found 3 deer this year this way but for the one you loose it really hurts. ANYWAYS, I have thought about using one of these and I think there is one geared towards automotive use that isn't the 3-4 grand. Im going to look further into it.

lets say, even if its only $1500 its still a fair chunk of change to put into a device that may or may not work for my intended purpose.

I was aware of the iPhone one but I didn't think it had great reviews :?:
I'm in the same boat. I'm not color blind but am what's called color deficient. Finding blood is definitely a challenge. Huge blood, no problem. A drop here and there, in grass, problem. I thought if something had a hundred yard range you could find an animal in thick bush, high grass etc...
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

my thoughts a well. range could be an issue. Would the device only work from a few feet away and only be possibly useful for a warm blood trail, or could it be used for distance. Now you have me interested in them again!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

one shot scott wrote:my thoughts a well. range could be an issue. Would the device only work from a few feet away and only be possibly useful for a warm blood trail, or could it be used for distance. Now you have me interested in them again!
Rein1 pointed me towards the Seek Reveal hand held unit. Roughly $350 USD. Hmmmm.

Paul