Need your help guys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Freddy

Need your help guys

Post by Freddy »

Just started bow hunting for Deer this year, I have shot my share of deer with a rifle, but with a bow it's so much different than rifle. All I can shoot with a bow in this area is a buck, and I'm sure they are in full rut now.
I am baiting and have all kinds of action on the trail cam, lots of Does and Fawns coming in. On Nov. 8th got my first pic of a buck, a small 8 pointer after legal shooting time, switched my feeding time to 5:30 am every second day now. As of Nov.14th, 15th, 16th I have the 8 point coming in every second day and also a nice spike coming every day. hunting time is limited but will hunt all this weekend and hopefully next as well, our season is open till mid Dec.
I have a new Matrix 330 and would really like to break it in, in a good way, don't want to miss out on getting a Deer, but would really like to take the 8 pointer. If I see the spike first should I take it, or should I hold out for a the 8 pointer.
Please I need some advise. :?: :?:
Stock Matrix 330 Lite stuff pkg.
Stock Matrix 355 pkg.
125 grain Thunder heads
xcaliber

Re: Need your help guys

Post by xcaliber »

Well, holding out for bigger bucks sometimes results in eating tag soup. It is like I tell the youngster that hunts with me, you cannot kill a big buck if you put the tag on a small one.
Good Luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Foxinthehenhaus

Post by Foxinthehenhaus »

Any pictures.
Wait for sure . Rut is in your favour. The Big boys tend to get stupid in the head at it's peak.
Weekend weather however may not be in your favour though
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a tough one. Me, I'm not a patient man and I always worry there might not be a next time so if it walks by and I got a tag for it the arrow's gonna fly. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Well, it's all a crapshoot. Logic says that if the bigger buck is on the bait every other day and the little one every day and you have two days of hunting, wait for the eight.
He should show. If you're unsure, you won't get a better eater than the spike. Personally, I'd dedicate the first weekend for the eight and the following to any tasty legal buck. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

Speaking as someone that hunts near you (for 39 years) and is chewing tag soup this year. The weather is against you for the next few days and the snow soon after. I hunt just north of Redbridge and used to hunt around Powassan. Usually after the snow is here to stay the deer start moving out towards the yards making it much harder to get one unless you are on the migration trails.

I hunt for meat, but I love a nice rack. That being said your days in the field are very limited with the rain/snow in the forecast for the next week. IMHO Shoot the first buck you see.
knife2sharp

Post by knife2sharp »

Cameras on baits can be misleading. Many time bucks check baits from a distance and don't always come in. If you get pics of does feeding, see if they are looking behind them. You could go out and get a chance at a buck you don't have a picture of. I can't tell you what deer to shoot, that is entirely up to you.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

your does will bring in the bucks for sure. if you have time I would wait till he comes . just when you shoot the small one the big one will show up . murphy is all over the woods these days.
W.M.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

I shot a nice 5 pointer just last week. The next day a monster 10 showed up and was easily mine. I was a little disappointed but I hunt with this in mind.....
"Don't pass up a shot on opening day that you would take on closing day."
artifact

Post by artifact »

"A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush"!
Unless you have a self imposed antler minimum, a buck is a buck!
To me, venison sausage from the spike would taste just as good as from the 8 pt., maybe even better!
frisky

Post by frisky »

One in the pot is better than two in the bush. :D :mrgreen:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

You've shot many with the rifle, none with a crossbow. When I started bow hunting years ago I shot the first legal animal that gave me the opportunity. As long as it did not have spots, it was in trouble. As the years have gone by and I look back on past seasons, if I had not taken the shot at my first opportunity I would not have gotten anything. Only you can decide whether to take the shot or not. If it were me just starting out, that spiker would be in trouble. Good luck, hope you get a chance to break in that 330.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ

Post by newbie »

After cooking my tags laat year I shot the first mature doe that came in range. They i was going to hold out for the stud 10 thats been teasing me for 5 years.
That all changed when my cousins wife wrote off her truck a few weeks ago.... The culprit was my stud. Hasnt been on cam since, just hoping he is out spreading his oats. I have the shotgun hunt yet.
So since my heart was broken i shot the messed up fork thats been messing around my mineral lick. He was bigger then i thought and now my freezer is suffed.
Long story short, if you want meat shoot first mature deer, horns wait it out but be prepared to flavour that tag. :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

your using an arrow at short yardage id take it..tag soup sucs unless your a trophy hunter..use your conservancy tag crossbow don't go bang :twisted:
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Horns make pretty thin soup!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35