Thinking about a crossbow have a few questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jakeemt

Thinking about a crossbow have a few questions

Post by jakeemt »

Hey folks I have been thinking about grabbing and excel vixen for quite awhile now and next season they will be legal for general archery. Now I still plan to rock my recurve for the early part of the season but, a crossbow sounds really nice for the later half with cold weather and big puffy clothes not exactly being conductive to traditional bows and accuracy! However, I wanted to ask a few questions before I pull the trigger if you guys don't mind. So here goes and thanks for listening to the new guy btw.

How do you guys tune your crossbows? I have read a method involving field points and broad heads but, that's mostly it. Are things like Bare shaft tuning or paper tuning even useful for getting your arrows tuned?

Is it ok to use feather fletching with your excels? I have everything set up to fletch them and even chop them from full length feathers. I am kinda partial so will that work? and if so is offset, helical, or straight your best bet?

Will replacing the string on an Excalibur void the warranty? I build and serve my own strings with all my bows. I have found that with most bows (and I bet the same is true with crossbows) that the string you get from the factory is almost never as good as one you hand crafted. (P.S. I build them from D97 and I have done a fair bit of reading on the details of crossbows string building so I know about tensioning jigs, centering the string on the nock, strand count ect.)

Finally aside from yet another thank you for tolerating my fng questions, does the vixen come with the aluminum rail? I don't see it mentioned on the site and I would prefer that over a synthetic rail.

-Jake
georgiaboy

Re: Thinking about a crossbow have a few questions

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!
The Vixen has the aluminum rail, feather's will work.
Many here build their on strings...will not void your warranty. If your shooting fixed blades the more helical the better.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome aboard, good advice there from GB. There is a Vixen for sale here on the Trading Post that is a sweet deal from Wildcatter. Get ahold of him from there quick, it is a great deal! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

You won't find a better deal on a vixen! If you hesitate I may buy it for a back up :D
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
wabi

Post by wabi »

With the crossbow there isn't much to worry about as far as tuning. The Vixen is very tolerant as far as arrows are concerned, and will handle a variety of arrows.

Feather fletching is fine. I like a lot of helical for broadheads, but you have to be careful to keep the fletching where it clears the inside of the channel in the rail. Too much helical and/or length can create clearance problems!

The biggest string problems you will find is with serving. If you tension the string when serving and use a good serving you shouldn't have too many problems.

And the rail is aluminum on the Vixen (as already stated).
wabi
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

One thing not mentioned earlier...with crossbows you can't really have too much spine. The stiffer the better. My suggestion would be BEA Executioners or Zombie Slayers. And many on here, including myself find that high FOC arrows (20% - 25%) have very very good accuracy. D97 is a good string material choice and I would suggest getting a jig spool of Angel Majesty 036 serving material from Danny Miller (740-483-2312). It out lasts everything else and seems to resist separation better if you get it on tight enough. With a Vixen, you won't see the serving stress of say a Micro either. I shoot 2" Trueflight Feathers on all my arrows for my Vortex and Micro. When put on with an Arizona EZ Fletch tool (lots of helical) they work great at controlling large fixed blade heads like the RamCat, Slick Trick or Magnus Stinger. If you call up Trueflight, you can get a dozen free samples. Colors will be whatever (look like dye-rejects) but they are properly cut and will let you know if you want to go that route. I have also shot the Rayzr feathers by Gateway and find the TFs to be ground more consistently allowing me to do a better fletch job.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

Don't know if this is a no brainer or not but they use a flat nock on the bolts for Excalibers. Shop I help at alot of people think a bolt is a bolt and any will work on any crossbow. Wrong nock and you could blow up your crossbow. Also always make sure the bolt is all the way back against the string or again may blow it up. Dad dry fired his I don't know how many times discharging it after the hunt (he didn't know you could use the cocking aid and not have to shoot it) and never has had to replace limbs so they are tuff.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Looks like most of your questions have been answered so I'll just add a welcome to the forum. A Vixen II would no doubt serve your needs quite nicely. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Waif

Post by Waif »

A string aid /rope allows adding twists to maintain brace height.

It reads like you will get along real well with an Excalibur and see many years out of a Vixen should you choose to do so.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175