Vanilla extract as a cover scent ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

georgiaboy

Vanilla extract as a cover scent ?

Post by georgiaboy »

Any truth to this :?:
I read an article the other day and the author swears by it, says it's more of an attractant. I didn't think much of it but was talking to another plumber at the supply house today and he said he's been using it for years.
I haven't seen a buck from the tree all year...willing to try anything right now. :?
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Re: Vanilla extract as a cover scent ?

Post by j.krug »

I've never thought to use it as a cover scent but I have heard of it used as an attractant. More so for bear than deer. I did however have a cow moose come in to sniff the vanilla one time. Not sure if it attracted her but she sure like sniffing it once she showed up. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I will mix 1 part vanilla extract 1 part sugar cane syrup (southern thang) 1 part almond or walnut extract will spry on soles of boots
Has worked very well for me
Recipe came from a board site
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I've used it to kill deer as an attractant.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

was told its similar in smell to white acorns to a deer. theres some old school hunting videos with dan fitzgerald who made and sold there own vanilla killa scent.id say no magic but worth a try.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I used it in front of my Game Cameras. The deer did stop to smell it but I didn't see any of them tripping over each other to get to it. After it had been in the woods a while they stooped paying any attention to it. It didn't scare them off.

I think I would would test it during the summer well before hunting season to see how the local deer respond to it. My concern is that some deer are very wary of any new scent in the woods so the introduction may run them off.

I will be trying EverCalm soon to see if it works. I'm intrigued by the tons of good field reports on it's use. We'll see.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
artifact

Post by artifact »

Buddy of mine always has a bunch of vanillaroma air fresheners in his pockets.
He's shot his share of deer, so they either work or he's just a good hunter!
fredd

Post by fredd »

we use the vanilla syrup. use the syrup mixed with corn and oats and molasses and the odd apple, mix in a pale and use as food source. works great late fall and early winter.
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

No scent is the best way to go. Back years ago we would use skunk cover up, Fox cover up, Apple scent, ect. All it does is make you stink. And actually draws attention to you. Think of it this way. Our coon dogs would run into a skunk once in awhile, and get sprayed right in the face, and never miss a beat smelling threw that and still be able to pick up a racoon scent. Animals, especially a whitetail deer can detect and smell right threw any cover up. Draw no attention. Keep yourself scent free. And you hunting buddies will appreciate it also in camp. Ha.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Hey Georgia Boy
Hope you're doing well.
Not sure about the cover scent but I've had older gun hunters say it will draw them in. If you're open to suggestions try this. First make sure you and your clothes are as scent free as you can. Find a spot where you can get upwind of a bedding area then put real vanilla extract on a stump that will give you a shot before they get to the stump. My thoughts are if the wind is right when they come off the bed to feed that afternoon maybe they will catch that scent ant come your way.
Just a suggestion.
Let us know how it works for you and good luck.
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

We've killed several does with it as an attractant but never used it as a cover. We killed a couple of does with their noses right up to it even killed one licking a wooden step on a ladder stand we squirted it on. I agree with using no scent at all also thats what I've been doing for years now. Good luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

1part real maple syrup . 1 part almond extract .1 part real vanilla extract. Dont substite for the fake stuff been usin it forever . Seems to work best in early season (before dec. )
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I use it every year.I buy a pumpkin and use my range finder and mark off 20 yards exactly and place the pumpkin at this distance.Then I pour some of the imitation vanilla extract($1 a bottle) on the pumpkin and sit and wait for the deer to come and check it out.I've only had does so far.The only problem I have run into is waiting for the does to settle down so I can get a proper shot on them.I don't know what it is about the vanilla extract poured on the pumpkin but,they get real confused and start dancing around the pumpkin.They can't stop prancing around the pumpkin as though they are hypnotized.I think the pumpkin acts as a known visual to the deer but then they smell the vanilla and get confused. All I know is their full attention is directly on the pumpkin and not me.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

fredd wrote:we use the vanilla syrup. use the syrup mixed with corn and oats and molasses and the odd apple, mix in a pale and use as food source. works great late fall and early winter.
Sounds pretty good....heck, I'd eat it!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
fredd

Post by fredd »

Go for it j.krug not sure how or what you will fell like come morning but pretty sure it will involve a laxative. lol lol