How far is too far?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ccamp200

How far is too far?

Post by ccamp200 »

Looking for some sage advice please guys.

How long of a shot would you consider to be an ethical shot with your crossbow?

Let me start by saying that I have zero desire to "wound" deer. I have done it and it tears me up so I don't ever want to do it again. That said, first a little background on why I ask.

I have had a Blessed year this year and have taken 3 nice does. Freezer is stocked but I am committed to helping out some friends and loved ones with some groceries. Aside from that, I would really like to take a nice buck or two this year.

Last month, the deer disappeared and made for 5-6 really disappointing outings (especially after initial successes). Trail cams confirmed that they are there - just nocturnal. Still hadn't seen a buck in daylight the entire season except for on nice spike (although 6-8 different ones are making a showing at night).

Sunday I was in my usual spot which is pretty dialed in and tough to move. I literally had eyes on 4 different bucks including the 8 point shooter I have been looking for. Unfortunately all were out of my comfortable shooting range. I have practiced to 50 yards and am comfortable grouping at that distance as long as the bow is braced.

I am not sure if they have me patterned or if it is just coincidence but all were moving in the 80-100 yard range. It was almost like they were taunting me - just moving back and forth leisurely out of my range. One nice spike even chose to bed down for over an hour in my direct line of site at about 80 yards. It was really tough not to take a shot - especially given my frustration at not seeing bucks in daylight so far.

I am not experienced at calling them in - and not sure it would help now as the rut has wound down and they didn't seem bothered by each other in relatively close proximity. This was strange to me.

So, what is your comfortable max range? Should I practice longer range to extend mine or should I try to move to a different spot? Or should I start carrying a rifle as well?

Your thoughts and advice are most appreciated. I am shooting a Matrix 380 with Zombies / NAP Spitfires 125 gr.
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Black Matrix 380 "Meat Maker"
xcaliber

Re: How far is too far?

Post by xcaliber »

This is a tough question because everyone has their own level of shooting skills. Also, where you hunt plays a roll as well, field edges where you can shoot deer beyond the sticks might be better for a longer than say bedding areas on public land. I hunt thick stuff mostly, and 40 yards is a long way in those woods.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

X2 on what Excalibur stated.
I can group shots within a 1-1/2" circle on a target at 50 and 60 yards. Live animals is a different story. IMO to much can go Wrong at longer distance, not saying that it cant be done. Many skilled hunters can "Read" what/when a Long shot can be taken and are successful. My comfort zone is out to 40 yards, if conditions are ideal, with most of my past years crossbow kills have been an Average of 25 yds. I personally like that 20 yard shot if at all possible. I hope more Experienced members of this forum will chime in and give you an answer you are looking for. Good Hunting and be Safe.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2 things need to be considered, these are main things scope able to do what is required n absolute support while makin the shot. I have a Zeiss dailed in out to 75 yds can hit a coffee cup at that distance usin Spitfire 100's. Good clear clean shot n i will certainly try it :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Normous

Post by Normous »

I suggest utilizing and improving all your hunting skills to move into a better hunting position for a closer shot.
Learning new tactics to get in closer is very rewarding.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

X2, I feel that too many people think that a crossbow is closer to a gun than it is to a bow. This has been my first year with a crossbow and I felt very hesitant to shot past the yardage that I would shot with a horizontal bow. I shot a buck and a doe and they were both inside of 25 yds. The buck ran 30 yds and the doe ran 50yds. You will feel a lot better about yourself if you wait for that close ethical shot and harvest the animal as clean as possible. Please do not bash me, just my opinion. Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

IMO 40 is a poke with any type of bow. I just passed on 3 deer at about 40 - 45 last night. They were clueless to my presence but walking. I would have had to bleat to stop them and put them on a bit of alert. I think the shot would have been clean, but..............I took that shot on a large buck earlier in the year, only to have my arrow explode into a tree at about 20 yds. Hit a small branch I could not see - at least it was a clean miss - but an expensive one.

Have you considered using a ghille suit or leafy camo? You can make a quickie little blind to conceal part of you out of stuff right from the area (dead branches, leaves, pine straw etc) - not too much - because they might notice that too - and get right up where they are. If I was you that's what I would try. Sit on the ground with some 3D camo and a little self made blind, make sure the wind is in your favor, setup for about a 30 yd, max shot. Nothing like being up close and personal on the ground. Just make sure not to make any moves unless the deer is moving. They will pick up the smallest movement if they are still. Not so much if they are walking.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

This has been kicked around here and on other forums. Ethically I would not shoot over 40 yards. After that a deer can move resulting in a bad hit or miss. I know there are shooters that can pick a pea off at twice the distance but notice I said shooters. They are shooting at paper. Hunters have far more responsibility and respect towards their target than shooters do. IMHO.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

In the field with the 405 my limit is 40 yards. I took a buck last season from 48 yards but the circumstances were unique. He was in my backyard. I was shooting from the living room using the couch as a rest through an open window. The house and more specifically background noise from the house (kids on the xbox etc.) prevented any string jump. He never moved an inch until hit.
Last edited by Species8472 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Species8472 wrote: but the circumstances were unique.
:lol:

Wish I lived where you do!! :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
galamb

Post by galamb »

I would give you same advice as any of the guys that show up at the gun counter with the same question.

Because there is really TWO different questions here.

The first is, what is the range of the (firearm) that you are shooting. With the 380 just at a quick glance out at (at least) 80 yards you still have sufficient KE to blow through a deer. So I would suspect that 100 yards is "feasible".

The real question is ARE YOU CAPABLE of making an ethical 80 or 100 yard shot?

Have your practiced in all kinds of weather and wind conditions so that you can consistently put ALL of your arrows into an 8" pie plate at that distance?

And if you have got to that point, would you still try a "hail mary" or would you be disciplined enough to pass up all but the absolutely perfect broadside shot with Bambi completely unobstructed.

A lot can go wrong in that distance - a gust of wind and your arrow goes through the intestines instead of the lungs.

I have hunted deer since I was a kid (somewhat over 40 years now). Hunted with a rifle, longbow, recurve, crossbow and traditional black powder (currently a 38 caliber sidelock) and in all those years the longest shot I have ever had to take with any weapon is 27 yards.

So for me, using bow or black powder, my limit is 35 yards. For me 80 to 100 yards is "rifle range" - but that's just me.
Last edited by galamb on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Species8472 wrote:In the field with the 405 my limit is 40 yards. I took a buck last season from 48 yards but the circumstances were unique. He was in my backyard. I was shooting from the living room using the couch as a rest through an open window. The house and more specifically background noise from the house (kids on the xbox etc.) prevented any string jump. He never moved an inch until hit.
Sorry, can't resist! Did you cook a venison stew with some.... wait for it... Couch Potatoes? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that's what you call a functional living room folks! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

galamb wrote:I would give you same advice as any of the guys that show up at the gun counter with the same question.

Because there is really TWO different questions here.

The first is, what is the range of the (firearm) that you are shooting. With the 380 just at a quick glance out at (at least) 80 yards you still have sufficient KE to blow through a deer. So I would suspect that 100 yards is "feasible".

The real question is ARE YOU CAPABLE of making an ethical 80 or 100 yard shot?

Have your practiced in all kinds of weather and wind conditions so that you can consistently put ALL of your arrows into an 8" pie plate at that distance?

And if you have got to that point, would you still try a "hail mary" or would you be disciplined enough to pass up all but the absolutely perfect broadside shot with Bambi completely unobstructed.

A lot can go wrong in that distance - a gust of wind and your arrow goes through the intestines instead of the lungs.

I have hunted deer since I was a kid (somewhat over 40 years now). Hunted with a rifle, longbow, recurve, crossbow and traditional black powder (currently a 38 caliber sidelock) and in all those years the longest shot I have ever had to take with any weapon is 27 yards.

So for me, using bow or black powder, my limit is 35 yards. For me 80 to 100 yards is "rifle range" - but that's just me.
Could not agree more. Well said!! It is extremely tempting to take that long shot. But if you can take that next step and pass on it your a much better hunter for it. When I was young I could not but with age I now can. Maybe because I now can not see it, LOL I also blew a shot this year that when I was young I would have gotten over the next day. Now to me anyway it is my buck for the year. But watch out late season doe. Wink!! :D
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

ccamp200 wrote:... I am shooting a Matrix 380 with Zombies / NAP Spitfires 125 gr.
I shoot the same set-up.
Targets at 80 - 100 yards are something entirely different than a critter!
I can and do run less than 2.5" groups at those ranges btw.
But even when everything is "perfect" I self limit my hunting ranges to 60 yards or so.
Too much can happen in the time it takes your arrow to reach the animal beyond that IMO.

I'd move the stand. seems they have you patterned, and not the other way around. Had this issue in the past, and a simple move made the difference.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
munch

Post by munch »

longest shot ive ever taken was 39 .i like to keep them under 20 but most deer ive shot with a bow have been 10 or less
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook