NAP Spitfire Information

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

carperdoug

NAP Spitfire Information

Post by carperdoug »

I have NO experience with mechanical broad heads. I presently shoot and have shot Slick Tricks for years. NO complaints. I am interested in the possibility of a wider cut. I would like to hear what the Spitfire users, past and present, have to say.

Pros and cons.......
deadeer

Re: NAP Spitfire Information

Post by deadeer »

Me first! How about all pros and no cons!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

They are terrific well made broadheads. You can hunt with confidence. I gave been using them for years.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
galamb

Post by galamb »

There are now three (classes) of mechanicals on the market and if you stick to the major mfg's (like NAP, G5 etc) they are all well built and have been refined over the years so the likelihood of failure has been mitigated greatly.

But like anything "mechanical", something CAN go wrong.

The Spitfire is one of the oldest design styles - front deploying. The front deploying type (tend) to eat up the most energy in their deployment stage upon impact. For most of the Excal line-up this isn't an issue because the 355's on up have "gobs of power".

When the broadhead impacts, they must deploy "before" they start cutting - so X amount of your KE is dissipated before it starts "cutting". These rarely fail to deploy, but as noted, they eat up power and MAY significantly reduce penetration in some situations.

If you are shooting an older/slower bow these may not give you the best penetration especially on "less than full broadside shots".

The next design is the rear deploying (Rage's, G5 T3/Havoc's etc). Less energy is expended since these deploy as part of the cutting process - the resistance they encounter causes the blades to "get wider". If these fail to deploy, or fail to deploy properly you still get a cut but it is significantly reduced.

The last design that is becoming more popular (slowly) is the hybrids. They have been around for a good number of years but more mfg's are adding these to their line-ups.

With these you have a small fixed blade (usually 3/4" or 7/8") plus (more often than not) rear deploying blades (up to 3" total in some models). So with the hybrid you often get a "legal cut" from the fixed blade even if they fail to deploy.

Some of the current hybrids are Antler Insanity Battle Axe's, Dead Ringer Rampages or NAP BloodRunner's.

All have their pro's and con's and if you look enough you can find "better than sliced bread results" or "catastrophic failures" with each and every one of them.

I have shot mechanicals for years and have migrated to the Hybrids but the deer I have shot with them didn't end up any "deader" than the first front deploying or the rear deploying heads that I used for the years in between.

Sorry, didn't really answer your question because the answer is 1) either you will love them and the will kill everything you hit or 2) you will hate them and move on to something else and in truth, no-one can give you truly sound advice as to which option you will observe yourself.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

If he doesn't chime in here in a bit, pm vixenmaster. He has killed pick-up loads of deer with the Spitfires, and can give you an honest review. He didn't kill that many deer with them because they don't work or he doesn't like them.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Paul thx fer the lead in, :) The Spitfires are a great Mech. the 1 1/2" are solid n i have killed many a tick toter wid'em includin wild hogs. The newer XXX version is a very well made 2" cut n i will be goin to it wid me 380
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Spitfire 125 grain heads are all I've ever run out of the Matrix 380.
IMO they are Deadly. Big Holes, Great Blood Trails & Short Recoveries.

I did have one prematurely open one blade last fall (complete miss on a whitetail buck - fortunately!). As a consequence I now band them with 3/16" dental bands. That has worked well. Never another issue. May be "overkill" with the bands, but they continue to preform as I like.

Can't go much wrong with them methinks.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
artifact

Post by artifact »

The "just a story" that I posted was related to a NAP Spitfire 125 gr.
7' up in a tree, and app. 58 yds. away, on a ground level 20 yd. shot at a buck!
Pretty sure it was a premature opening that may have glanced off the stirrup of the 380.
Now here's the other thing: I was using one that was not designated crossbow, the old dummy didn't know that at the time! :oops:

IronNoggin - Where/how do you band them with the dental bands? I may be able to use the other two for something else by doing that. Been looking for posts about that and this is the first one I've seen.
Needless to say, I wont be using the other 2 to hunt with and have since purchased the Excalibur Bolt Cutters.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

artifact wrote: Where/how do you band them with the dental bands?
First I double the band on itself. Then roll onto the arrow shaft below the front insert. Screw the boradhead on & tighten. Then roll the doubled band over the broadhead so it fits in the narrowest spot.

Looks like this when finished:

I consider the Spitfires to be my Go-To Broadhead. Don't be afraid to hunt with the other two you have! You'll likely be most Pleasantly Surprised at the results! :wink:

BTW - I tried the Boltcutters. Sold them all literally for a song and will never use them again.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
artifact

Post by artifact »

Thank you for the reply and pics.
Will try that, something good to know.
As for the Boltcutters: :roll: OH NO! :cry: , but I will give them a try.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

I've popped 3 deer this year with bolt cutters. One head was used for 2 deer, possibly the third, but I lost track.

Boltcutters are a solid head. No worries about their performance. They are tough, and fly the same as FP's out of my Micro 335 with Quills.

The spitfire head is also a solid BH. It may well be one of the longest running mech BHs out there, and for good reason. Nothing in the archery world lasts that long if it is not a good design.

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

GRUNDY wrote:Boltcutters are a solid head. No worries about their performance. They are tough, and fly the same as FP's out of my Micro 335 with Quills.
They are indeed. Flew like field points from my Ibex, ExoMag and Matrix 380.
And Tough! Most could well be sharpened (or blades replaced) and used again in my experience.

Simply didn't like the blood trails (or lack thereof in my case) generated by the Boltcutters as compared to the Spits. World of difference - again my experience. We each select what makes us Happy. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Last edited by IronNoggin on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeeper

Post by Jeeper »

I've been using them for years they work grate and ive had the same ones for along time i just replace the blades after i kill a deer.
Don't know if you have a Academy sports near you but they sell a three pack for 26.99 you mite still save a few bucks ordering online
Micro
Jack pine string
15" 2219 with 125 grain spitfires
Hawke scope
TT single stage trigger
DES

Post by DES »

Been using Spitfires for a few years and have been happy with the results, I also use a dental band on them. They do seem to bleed off energy when entering but rarely do I not get a pass-thru.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Jeeper wrote:I've been using them for years they work grate and ive had the same ones for along time i just replace the blades after i kill a deer.
Don't know if you have a Academy sports near you but they sell a three pack for 26.99 you mite still save a few bucks ordering online
^^^ This. Switched to Spitfires after entering the crossbow world 4 years ago. 14 deer later I have 4 of 6 which I originally purchased. The replacement blades are inexpensive and easy to install. If ever I need to I will try the 2 inch diameter version.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera