A Very Dry Season Here in Northern NJ

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

A Very Dry Season Here in Northern NJ

Post by amythntr »

....this has been a disheartening season in northern NJ...after shooting a "monster fawn" on opening day of early bow season and my son anthony having some luck the following week...it has been dry....wouldn't mind if I saw lots but that wasn't the case....I have heard time and time again from a lot of hunters that the deer population is not the same as years ago...heck its much different from when I began in '93....so with a very dry opening day of NJ ML yesterday and a decision to pack it up and come home today (rain most of day---brother in law and uncle were out- nothing)...I have decided to pack it in for the season...lick my wounds and think of '16...still I have been Blessed got to spend a few days afield with the boys and family and that was fun!

Anthony :)
Last edited by amythntr on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
TheBig1

Re: A Very Dry Season Hear in Northern NJ

Post by TheBig1 »

That's disheartening to hear Anthony. Times have been tough for me too but that's because I mountain hunt which is a world away from farms or flatlands. It's been extremely humbling for me but I refuse to give up. I will continue to shoot, move, and communicate until I learn my adversaries whereabouts and weaknesses.

Get back on the horse after a week of rest Brother. Remember, it's supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.

Chad

=http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstric ... y.jpg.html]Image
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Anthony, you are not alone: definitely a very slow year in the panhandle for the public land hunters in Florida panhandle...
a bit better for we private land owners who can corn legally...
too warm and too many acorns....
norm
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

here In rhode island its the same due to a very large amount of acorns and warm weather..dont give up brother change it up start walking get out of the tree stands..i came close sat mid day with 150 class 8 pointer trailing a doe on state land.. had not seen a deer the whole month out side of does in my yard..that was muzzle loader this weekend starts shot gun for december ..I do have a honey hole in the burbs just need to get my crossbow back firearms will surely bring problems there..dont give up that's when the big boys show up :D :D :D
Last edited by otisbrazwell on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Hey Anthony, it's pretty sad in some parts of Ontario too.
It's been a couple of tough winters up here. The biologists say
the heard will bounce back. It's supposed to be a mild winter
so I too look forward to next season BUT in the meantime I'm
enjoying a lot of fresh air and watching wildlife. You should too. :)
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Any one that has a bow they want to send to boot camp let me know. I still have 4 doe tags left and a buck tag.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Anthony, I have zero deer so far. I have passed on about nine small bucks so far, and can hunt until the end of January on my urban zone land. I know how you feel, and appreciate the mind set on focusing your time on other things.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Deer in NJ are smart and sneaky. They hang out in residential areas where there's no hunting. :lol:
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Do you guys with lower deer sightings or opportunities have wolves in your states or areas? The government and tree-huggers have been planting them and protecting them in most western states :( and big game populations as well as domestic wildlife are definately paying the price...:roll: :cry:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have not seen the deer that i should be seeing.--( one deer so far this year) we have to many coyotes for one-- lots of food around tons of acorns. you cant shoot them sitting home stop crying and get out there
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Anthony,

Unless you have an excellent Deer Hunting Video game :shock: :lol: You'll not get a buck sitting on the couch :lol:

Your not that "OLD" and it's not that "COLD" ( yet ).... MAN UP and get back out there... Your gonna' be sorry if you did not give it your best when looking back on the season once it's over and gone. :x

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Hey guys...sorry for the depressing sound to my post...I have been out every weekend but one...I have neglected most other things around the house and also its getting close to "tax time" for me...I might head out a couple of more Saturdays but will pass on the opening of shotgun next Monday (buck only)...

...there have been more sightings of coyotes in NJ around where we hunt....I would love to shoot one if given the opportunity...

...just about 8 months till Boofest :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings

Post by newbie »

Yes its the same here in Ontatio for the most part.
One little tip though Anthony......I think its that Nightmare deer are picking that black bow up miles off. :wink:
I got lucky literally was in the stand 4 times this year two tags filled and maybe one more sat my controlled hunt group has loads of unfilled tags.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
amythntr

Re: A Very Dry Season Here in Northern NJ

Post by amythntr »

newbie wrote:Yes its the same here in Ontatio for the most part.
One little tip though Anthony......I think its that Nightmare deer are picking that black bow up miles off. :wink:
I got lucky literally was in the stand 4 times this year two tags filled and maybe one more sat my controlled hunt group has loads of unfilled tags.

...yes, Bada Bing 8) is not happy to say the least and Manco Morto is dying to show what he's made of....maybe, just maybe winter bow :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GGC

Re: A Very Dry Season Here in Northern NJ

Post by GGC »

Tony
Here's what you need to do....hop on 208, head over to 287 S and find a spot from just north of route 78 all the way down to route 70 give or take.
The central portion of NJ has more GD deer than you will ever need.
Check with the county extension offices or county boards of Ag. for possible leads and the county park offices for county land open to hunting....thousands upon thousands of acres to get lost in.
For example, the Middlesex County Parks office is just off 287 on River Rd. A ton of deer on county land and lightly hunted. Just get a permit over the counter, you won't go wrong.