Matrix 330 string stretching

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bayou Boy

Matrix 330 string stretching

Post by Bayou Boy »

My Matrix 330 is about 16 months old, I do not shoot it alot. I am on my 3rd string. I replaced the factor string and put a custom string from a local bow shop. I have contacted Dan Miller, he sent me 2 of his custom strings. I am currently using one that I have shot several times. I am up to 40 twists on the string and it is still stretching. I am no expert, are the strings too long or the limbs too short? Is anyone else having the same issues with their strings stretching this much?

I have adjusted my brace height anywhere from an inch to an inch and a half everytime I have twisted the string. Does anyone have any recommendations, maybe on different strings or material?
xcaliber

Re: Matrix 330 string stretching

Post by xcaliber »

Get a good custom string from any of the string maker's here, and I think you'll be very happy. If the string stretches a lot in the field, it was not pre-stretched by the maker enough to remove the creep that is inherent in all performance materials.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That's just a symptom of owning a Matrix crossbow. You have to follow the brace height and keep adjusting it. It's a pain in the butt, but you have to do it. :lol:

An inch and a half from the joint is overkill, just keep it at 3/4 to one inch from the joint and you're good to go. Make sure to use REDS or Danny Miller's stoppers.

You can also rotate the string to change the impact of the claw to extend your string life. If you turn it in the same directions on both sides it will change the point of impact.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone

Post by newbie »

I have custom strings and also have been using my stock micro string that came with the bow. I havent had to adjust brace but twice since i pulled the bow out in the spring. Never more then 1/4" both times.
Are you keeping the bow in a warm place?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

Yes I have the REDs installed on my xbow from the begining.

The only time my xbow is not in a control temp enviroment is when i'm hunting with it. Most of the year it sits in the house .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sent a PM to offer a string to try, just for the record! :wink:
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Almost sounds like you have the wrong string.

I got a matrix string instead of a micro string once. I imagine if I twisted it 40 turns it might start to fit...

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

I agree how much a string will twist until it meets a breaking point.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

If Dan, aka: excaliber is sending you one to try :D Your gonna' be real happy and I'm thinking your troubles will be gone :wink: I only shoot strings made by Dan on all of the bows I have and the ones I have had.

At the very most I may have had to adjust my brace height twice in the past 6 months, and that was on a Matrix 355 drawing 240# . So far the brand new one on my Micro at 270# draw weight has only needed one adjstment but may have to be done one more time.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

A new string on it's way i'm goona get it setup for a late bow season after rifle season is over I should have my matrix 330 ready for some action.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck on them swamp bucks! Nice Buck in your Avatar! :wink:
Goblue32

Post by Goblue32 »

I also have the 330 and ordered the byc Dynaflight 1992 string from Excalibur. When I put it on it was a good 1.5 " off the reds. I cocked it over night and didn't notice much difference so I took it out the next day and shot it a lot. It did stretch quite a bit. Now it's about 3/4" off the reds but seems to slam into them pretty hard. Not a single bit of difference in point of impact from factory string at 1/4 off the reds to new string through the stretching process so far. Always deadly accurate.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

I've got a matrix 350LE and just posted recently about the string stretch...seems like every few weeks I'm twisting the string as its stretching and creeping down to touch the reds (factory string)
Looks like it's starting to settle down now with the creep slowing down so hopefully by hunting season it stops...hasn't changed the poi on my shooting though.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Ontario Savage hit the nail on the head. There are many variables with strings appearing to stretch or settle. First off, if you're saying you literally put 40 twists into a string you got the wrong string. On my matrix series bows the strings start unraveling after removing about ten twists. Secondly, these strings NEVER stop moving, they merely slow down. Depending on the material used and the strand count strings will creep faster or slower. Generally, I'll set the brace height with a new string approximately .25" above my desired brace height. On a shooting session of about 100 or more arrows I'll typically have to add half a twist a couple of times.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
snortnrun

Post by snortnrun »

i have the same problem.went thru 3 strings like you have.my solution:keep it unstrung until i want to shoot it.it only takes a min to do