Matrix 380 String Twist

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Scarecrow

Matrix 380 String Twist

Post by Scarecrow »

When I got my new bow the string was way into the REDS. The first thing I did when I got the bow assembled was use the string changer to put some twists in to increase BH so the string is just off the REDS. When I did this, there were already so many twists that the string kinda curled up. I released the string changer and looked at the string....it has A LOT of twists, much more than my Grizzly. Is this safe or should I change the string?
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
xcaliber

Re: Matrix 380 String Twist

Post by xcaliber »

The string will be OK, but I would recommend a new one. When they begin to snake up when released from one limb, time to think about swapping out.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I am not a string expert but is it possible that he has the wrong string for the Matrix? My 380 is about 5/16" off the Reds and I don't see any twisting up happening when I remove one end of the string from the bow. Just curious if a string measurement would give a indication if its the correct string or would a wrong string even fit?
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I wouldn't take the string off unless when you twist it kinks. Really a new string shouldn't have lots of twists in it, 8-16 is about usual
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I'd give Danny Miller a call if the bow is new . He'll take care of you I'm sure .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

So I put my backup string from my Grizzly on the 380. I untwisted the one shipped with the NEW 380 and counted over 30 twists. When I laid it out it was over 36". Doesn't sound like the correct string to me. :x
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Something is off call Danny.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Michiganhunter wrote:I am not a string expert but is it possible that he has the wrong string for the Matrix? My 380 is about 5/16" off the Reds and I don't see any twisting up happening when I remove one end of the string from the bow. Just curious if a string measurement would give a indication if its the correct string or would a wrong string even fit?
You string is 5/16" from the bumpers with no twists?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Between Excalubur and Danny, there have been a few very minor variations in length. At 30 twists and the string no longer creeping, it does not sound like you have any problems.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Boo wrote:
Michiganhunter wrote:I am not a string expert but is it possible that he has the wrong string for the Matrix? My 380 is about 5/16" off the Reds and I don't see any twisting up happening when I remove one end of the string from the bow. Just curious if a string measurement would give a indication if its the correct string or would a wrong string even fit?
You string is 5/16" from the bumpers with no twists?
Boo, No I didn't explain very well. It sounds like his string kinks up when he removes it from one end. Mine doesn't do that, I don't have that many twists in my 380 original string to begin with however it does have maybe 8-12 never counted and I am between 1/4 and 5/16 off the REDs all the time. It almost sounds to me like he has a string off the older bows such as my Exomax. Which as you obviously know were somewhat longer. Just a guess, Not even sure if that longer string would come close to fitting a Matrix. Take care.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

That is correct. When I put another twist in the string it kinks up in a loop. It was waaaay too twisted up. Getting a Vixen string delivered next week. Hopefully the dealer I bought it from will make it right.
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is a 5" difference between the Micro, the Matrix and the older bows (excluding the flat risers). It is not the wrong string.
As I mentioned earlier, there are some variations in Matrix string lengths. Some will have 30+ twists, some 15 etc, etc. Nothing to worry about unless you see a braceheight change as you shoot.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of kiniking when you take the sting off but if it kinks badly enough that it looks like a snake wrapping around itself, then maybe it's time to change. I say maybe because there are no hard rules.
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

Ok. Thanks Boo.
Kraken144

Post by Kraken144 »

Scarecrow FYI the Matrix and the Micro strings are not made of BCY Dyna-Flight97 as I thought . I'm a dealer that unlike some I've read on here I take care of my customers , and had a hard time with the stock strings like every one . Called BCY and asked why there strings stretch so much talked with Bob and Chris they said send them a string . I had some 97 made a string for a 405 like I knew how to let it stretch for put it on the 405 over night no stretch and by no means I'm a pro like the pros here . Sent to BCY the stock string off the 405 28 count and a BCY string I made with a 24 count string a big difference between the two BCY on top by a lot The stock string probably made from from Brownell D-75 or some off brand string know as D-65 .Trying not to start trouble , but ....
Rick @ bitemybait.net
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bite my bait and this is your first post? Hmmm :?
While it is true that the endless loop string are made from D75 rather than D97, they are the same formulation. Danny put strings made from both materials and put them under about 500 lbs for a week. Both crept the same amount. Years ago I asked both companies about their formulation and both said they were the same. The main differences are that BCY cannot supply D97 with a minor amount of wax and D75 is more expensive.
I cannot say whether or not Excalibur was ever made aware of the change but I can say that you don't want a string made with excess wax.