bow arrows can be adapted crossbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aurelian

bow arrows can be adapted crossbow?

Post by aurelian »

Hello, which of the following sizes (bow arrows ) would match the best for crossbow arrows? (300, 310 340, 360, 380, 390, 400, 420, 460, 510). I found shafturi 7178-T9 aluminum Easton and I want to do for crossbow if possible. What do you think: can match the bow arrows and crossbow?
Matrix 380 Mad Max
G5 Striker 125 gr, Diablo 18 inch
Drew

Re: bow arrows can be adapted crossbow?

Post by Drew »

Ok, the numbers you mention are spine designations which are measured at 28" (typically) and as such don't really relate to crossbow length arrows. Most that shoot aluminum seem to use 2219's. I believe it's more about the diameter and how the string interfaces with the arrow (string is centered with that diameter). Being 16-20" spine is not as relevant. Well maybe if you shoot a M405 and a massive broadhead but for M380 on down I think 2219's would suffice. And for M330 down even the 2117's would work.

Search for aluminum arrows on here and you will find some good info for what the folks are using.

Hope this helps.

Oh I'll add this, I doubt crossbow arrows could be too stiff. An 18" carbon Black Eagle Zombie Slayer probably spines at .100. It's like shooting a pool cue. The force crossbow arrows endure is way more than vertical bows can generate. The force curve for a recurve crossbow is immediate and brutal compared to even the most radical cam how.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
aurelian

Post by aurelian »

Thank you !
Matrix 380 Mad Max
G5 Striker 125 gr, Diablo 18 inch
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I cut some 2219 aluminum arrows to 20" to shoot out of my Axiom.For some reason they didn't group at all.I even replaced the vanes with new Quick Fletch vanes and they still wouldn't group.I have no idea why.I can't even use them for practice target shooting since I can't get them to fly right.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

jd4223 wrote:I cut some 2219 aluminum arrows to 20" to shoot out of my Axiom.For some reason they didn't group at all.I even replaced the vanes with new Quick Fletch vanes and they still wouldn't group.I have no idea why.I can't even use them for practice target shooting since I can't get them to fly right.

It may be the cutting job were they squared after the cut it may help.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Both ends were squared due to replacing capture nocks with flat nocks.Arrows looked like they were store bought after replacing fletching.I even measured exactly where to place the new fletching.Weighed each arrow before cutting and after cutting just to see what the FOC was before and after.Still didn't make any difference.Shooting off a bench each arrow hit a different point on the target.No grouping at all.Even played around with marking each vane on each arrow before shooting.Didn't seem to change where arrow hit on target.I have 4 arrows now to use as my discharge arrows when uncocking my bow.The original length of arrows were 32" before cutting.I don't see how that would affect performance.
Drew

Post by Drew »

How did you fletch them? I'm not familiar with QuickFletch but have fletched many an arrow. Check for interference between the vanes and the rail or the scope mount. For crossbow arrows most on this forum seem to use the Arizona EZ Bolt fletcher. It puts a great helical on the fletch and will stabilize just about any broadhead even large fixed blades. Not having experience with the Quickfletch I'd try 2" Blazers. Tried and true.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I may be wrong on the name of the flecting.I used the ones that slide on the shaft and then dipped in hot water.I used the same size and length as the original vanes that were stripped off the arrow.If I remember they were 4" vanes.I also tried the 2" size but had the same results.Since my experience didn't turn out so well,I quit cutting my extra arrows and gave them to a compound bow shooter.I still have a package or two of the shrink vanes left.Maybe I'll try again this winter on arrows already cut but need the vanes replaced.
Jeeper

Post by Jeeper »

I tried some 2" blazors on 2219 on my micro and they were to tall and hit the bottom of the grove on my rail.
Have you tried different weight tips?
Micro
Jack pine string
15" 2219 with 125 grain spitfires
Hawke scope
TT single stage trigger