rubber coating on rails?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

rubber coating on rails?

Post by maple »

This is a sub-topic from the current "Excalibur improvements" thread where spraying rubberizers on rails was discussed. I thought somebody might want to try this.

Before you guys go spraying stuff on the rails, try this.

In most pharmacies (ie. Shopper's Drug Mart) with home health care departments, they sell this product called Theraband. Intended to be used for physiotherapy. It's a thin rubber sheet about five inches wide and comes in three different thicknesses (colours), all of which are only fractions of a millimeter thick. It's real cheap. It would be easy as pie to put this rubber layer under the rail and see what it does.

It's one of those things I've thought about, but never done.

Maple
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Sounds like a good idea Maple. I was thinking more of spraying the rubber coating on the stock not my rail. The truth of the matter being the noise reduction is more for the shooter then anything.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

The truth of the matter being the noise reduction is more for the shooter then anything
Gary L.
I don't know why but your comment inspired a moment of pure design inspiration on my part! I have it! The crossbow silencer!
I'll have to do some testing, and file for a patent, but it's so simple I amazed someone didn't hit on this idea already!
Since I know none of you would steal my idea, I'll give you a preview.

Material list:
1. - A can of spray-on truck bed liner.
2. - A bottle of murine ear cleaning drops.
clean ear channel thoroughly according to instructions on murine, spray a generous coating of bed liner into ear canal & let harden......
well, what do you think? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually,
I do like the idea of the rubber coated stock. If it were a durable coating it would have several advantages. I'm constantly hearing noise from things brushing against my stock, even the sling swivels make noise! The rubber coating might be an answer to that problem. I let deer get close enough I don't really have to worry about the noise of the shot, but those little noises of the stock being bumped could prevent the deer from getting close!
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:
The truth of the matter being the noise reduction is more for the shooter then anything
Gary L.
I don't know why but your comment inspired a moment of pure design inspiration on my part! I have it! The crossbow silencer!
I'll have to do some testing, and file for a patent, but it's so simple I amazed someone didn't hit on this idea already!
Since I know none of you would steal my idea, I'll give you a preview.

Material list:
1. - A can of spray-on truck bed liner.
2. - A bottle of murine ear cleaning drops.
clean ear channel thoroughly according to instructions on murine, spray a generous coating of bed liner into ear canal & let harden......
well, what do you think? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually,
I do like the idea of the rubber coated stock. If it were a durable coating it would have several advantages. I'm constantly hearing noise from things brushing against my stock, even the sling swivels make noise! The rubber coating might be an answer to that problem. I let deer get close enough I don't really have to worry about the noise of the shot, but those little noises of the stock being bumped could prevent the deer from getting close!
Well I sure would waste no time in the "file for a patent," :wink:

Another type of rubber that could be used is "insta mold compound" and is a heavy duty and flexible type of compound. Applied in light coats intill desired thickness is achieved. In truth the noise in shooting is more from limb slap then vibrations in the rail. Also as you state from sling swivels.

Need a old stock fer testing :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!