O/T.... Leupold VX•R Riflescopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

O/T.... Leupold VX•R Riflescopes

Post by Deaf jeff »

does anyone have any "hands on" use with these scopes? opinions on them?
thanks,
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Normous

Re: O/T.... Leupold VX•R Riflescopes

Post by Normous »

We have two 30mm VX-R's in 2-7 on our Excalibur's and honestly I don't think this Scope Nut will ever replace them because the VX-R scope makes the corners of my lips raise everytime I shoulder my Crossbow.

I have a review here: copy/paste.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... &hilit=vxr
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I like mine also when hunting till complete darkness , when not the crossbones is just as well
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I guess I'm a little set in my ways, but I prefer the "older" VX3 illuminated scopes. I've owned a couple VX-R's, and I wasn't impressed.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I sell these amongst a number of other models and name brands.

I will start by saying that I am not a huge fan of Leupold optics to start with. Their top end line is very good, but I personally feel that they play off their name and over price their (lesser) offerings.

The "new" Leupold VX-R including their CDX models are no exception to my opinion. (and I am making the assumption you are asking about the new VR-R Riflescopes)

Except for the VX-R Patrol, the rest of the line are rear focal scopes, meaning you have to set it to max zoom to use the BDC feature (if equipped).

The main selling point of these scopes is the "firedot" (at least compared to their other optics).

Now, I'm not saying the glass isn't good, clear etc etc, it's just that if I try and compare apples to apples, at least on my side of the border a 3-9X40 firedot "windplex" (BDC) 30 mm tubed VX-R retails for $819 - and it's a rear focal scope so must be zoomed to max or the compensation is useless, but does have the side parallax adjustment. The scope is listed as having a 3:1 zoom function.

I just bought a Burris Veracity, 2-10X42, ballistic plex (BDC) 30 mm tubed Front Focal scope for $570. It doesn't matter what "zoom" is set, the BDC is "calibrated" at 2 or 10 or anything in between. It also has a side parallax adjustment and a 5:1 zoom function.

So if I ask myself, is a scope that is every bit as clear, has a warranty that will replace it "without question" even if I run it over with my truck, has a slightly larger objective that will gather a little more light and sells for 250 bucks less a "non-starter" because it doesn't have a firedot?

Not in my opinion :D

There is nothing wrong with the Leuopold's, I just don't think they are worth the asking price compared to some of the other optics out there. I personally feel it's kinda like owning a Browning rifle - yes they are great rifles, but there is a "name premium" built into the selling price..
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

galamb wrote:I sell these amongst a number of other models and name brands.

I will start by saying that I am not a huge fan of Leupold optics to start with. Their top end line is very good, but I personally feel that they play off their name and over price their (lesser) offerings.

The "new" Leupold VX-R including their CDX models are no exception to my opinion. (and I am making the assumption you are asking about the new VR-R Riflescopes)

Except for the VX-R Patrol, the rest of the line are rear focal scopes, meaning you have to set it to max zoom to use the BDC feature (if equipped).

The main selling point of these scopes is the "firedot" (at least compared to their other optics).

Now, I'm not saying the glass isn't good, clear etc etc, it's just that if I try and compare apples to apples, at least on my side of the border a 3-9X40 firedot "windplex" (BDC) 30 mm tubed VX-R retails for $819 - and it's a rear focal scope so must be zoomed to max or the compensation is useless, but does have the side parallax adjustment. The scope is listed as having a 3:1 zoom function.

I just bought a Burris Veracity, 2-10X42, ballistic plex (BDC) 30 mm tubed Front Focal scope for $570. It doesn't matter what "zoom" is set, the BDC is "calibrated" at 2 or 10 or anything in between. It also has a side parallax adjustment and a 5:1 zoom function.

So if I ask myself, is a scope that is every bit as clear, has a warranty that will replace it "without question" even if I run it over with my truck, has a slightly larger objective that will gather a little more light and sells for 250 bucks less a "non-starter" because it doesn't have a firedot?

There is nothing wrong with the Leuopold's, I just don't think they are worth the asking price compared to some of the other optics out there. I personally feel it's kinda like owning a Browning rifle - yes they are great rifles, but there is a "name premium" built into the selling price..
I own a VXR Patrol and they are not a FFP scope, they are a rear focal plane, just like the others. I highly recommend the VXR line for a few reasons, but chiefly because they are very clear under low light, bulletproof and backed by a no hassle warranty, lighter than competitive scopes and Firedot illumination is superior to any other I have ever tried, so that is probably why I own three of them. I also like the option of using the Alumina style caps which are not compatible with competitive scopes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but shop around, sometimes you can find a great deal on eBay.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

love my firedot! i dont think the Leupolds are overpriced. i will say ive owned every budget to mid price crossbow scope out there. i would take any Leupold VX1 scope over any of them.you can get them for like $179. big fan of the smaller 1-4x20 models with the circle or heavy duplex. the Crossbones is a little more and a good one also.my firedot is a whole other level though.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

foofoo wrote:love my firedot! i dont think the Leupolds are overpriced. i will say ive owned every budget to mid price crossbow scope out there. i would take any Leupold VX1 scope over any of them.you can get them for like $179. big fan of the smaller 1-4x20 models with the circle or heavy duplex. the Crossbones is a little more and a good one also.my firedot is a whole other level though.
X2. The VX-I 1-4x20 with heavy duplex is a great scope for the money. I have only had a chance to play with the firedot reticle a bit but was very impressed. Love my Leupolds.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The VXR scopes are worth every penny. I have tried them all Nikon,Hawke,Excalibur. Crossbows may come & go but this scope is a keeper & I have no intentions of letting it go in my lifetime...... :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've owned a lot of different scopes, and sometimes you don't get what you pay for,Leupold's are less forgiving when I say that it means you had better be perfect as if shooting off a rest every time, free hand shooting can be hard with a Leupold and a few others, I have nothing but Burris in my house, same life time warranty no matter who owns it.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I've owned a lot of different scopes, and sometimes you don't get what you pay for,Leupold's are less forgiving when I say that it means you had better be perfect as if shooting off a rest every time, free hand shooting can be hard with a Leupold and a few others, I have nothing but Burris in my house, same life time warranty no matter who owns it.
Yes sir the VXR is a precision aiming tool for serious bow hunters. I know the fire dot at feature has resulted in my off hand shooting groups to shrink big time at normal archery hunting distances...

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Always wanted to own a Leopold, but every time I look through one all I see it the image in a brownish hue. Took a lot of years to figure out why, but it turns out I have a slight stigmatism that does not agree with the glass they use, or the angle it is cut on.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:I've owned a lot of different scopes, and sometimes you don't get what you pay for,Leupold's are less forgiving when I say that it means you had better be perfect as if shooting off a rest every time, free hand shooting can be hard with a Leupold and a few others, I have nothing but Burris in my house, same life time warranty no matter who owns it.
Yes sir the VXR is a precision aiming tool for serious bow hunters. I know the fire dot at feature has resulted in my off hand shooting groups to shrink big time at normal archery hunting distances...

Jeff
What I noticed, in the little bit that I have played with a VXR, was that the firedot reticle did very much upped my concentration . I liked it very much and think it would in fact up my offhand scores.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Have a VXR Patrol with Firedot BDC reticle 1.25-4. Love it. Crystal clear. Fire dot is awesome and lots of aiming points with the BDC reticle. Also have an EO Tech 512 XBow...................I like the EOTech better though.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

galamb wrote:I sell these amongst a number of other models and name brands.

With all due respect Sir, you should know the product you are selling a little better. Your opinions on quality etc I respect as it is your opinion. However, your understandings of focal planes and BDC are not correct in relation to the product you are selling.